main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

ST JJ Abrams to direct Episode VII

Discussion in 'Sequel Trilogy' started by Kuestmaster, Jan 24, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Darth Chiznuk

Darth Chiznuk Superninja of Future Films star 8 Staff Member Manager

Oct 31, 2012
    I think ST 2009 took all the superficial elements of SW and left out all the heart. That's just my opinion but it's why I've never cared for it and why I totally disagree that it is a SW movie at it's core.

Pensivia likes this.
  2. Pro Scoundrel

Pro Scoundrel New Films Expert At Modding Casual star 6 Staff Member Manager

Nov 20, 2012
    Orci & Kurtzman are what's wrong with JJ Abrams Star Trek movies. Let's try to remember these are the same guys who wrote the first two Bayformers movies. I rest my case. :)

FinleySlade and Darth Chiznuk like this.
  3. darklordoftech

darklordoftech Force Ghost star 6

Sep 30, 2012
    I'm glad I'm not the only one who thought of that.

FinleySlade and Pro Scoundrel like this.
  4. Darth Chiznuk

Oct 31, 2012
    I completely agree. I don't have a problem with Abrams as a director.

5. Pro Scoundrel

Nov 20, 2012
    I'm just glad Arndt was on board before Abrams, or who knows what we would've gotten.

6. Kay Suhyun

Kay Suhyun Jedi Youngling star 1

Apr 29, 2013
    What is so wrong with Orci?

7. Pro Scoundrel

Nov 20, 2012
    Well, that depends. If you like the scripts to the first two Transformers and Abrams Star Trek movies then nothing is wrong. If you're like me and you don't like those scripts, then there is plenty wrong. And, since I don't know who wrote what on those scripts, both Orci and Kurtzman get the credit/blame.

Darth Chiznuk likes this.
  8. Darth Chiznuk

Oct 31, 2012
    I just find Roberto Orci and Alex Kurtzman's writing to be very immature and fanboyish. It seems to me that they just throw crap into their scripts because they think it's funny or cool without much thought behind it (one big example is a certain scene in ST:ID.) I thought Into Darkness was better but there were still scenes in it that made me roll my eyes.

Pro Scoundrel likes this.
  9. darklordoftech

Sep 30, 2012
    I wouldn't call Megatron's obedience to The Fallen "fanboyish".

10. Pro Scoundrel

Nov 20, 2012
    Also, their scripts imply that they think their audience is stupid, both in their plotting and how they write characters. Unfortunately, JJ is getting a lot of the blame for these things. I DO think he deserves some of the blame, because he's the director, and as they say "the buck stops here".

Darth Chiznuk likes this.
  11. Pro Scoundrel

Nov 20, 2012
    No, just bad and out of character. :)

12. Darth Chiznuk

Oct 31, 2012
    By fanboyish I meant that they put a lot of things into the ST scripts that really didn't resonate because they didn't build it up probably but they did it anyways because it was a cool wink-wink to fans.

Pro Scoundrel likes this.
  13. darklordoftech

Sep 30, 2012
    Megatron's obedience to The Fallen is the OPPOSITE of that.

14. Darth Chiznuk

Oct 31, 2012
    Okay but I wasn't talking about Megatron as I explained. There are other reasons I don't like Transformers namely because I find them over the top, ridiculous and immature. They are cheap thrills with no heart IMO.

15. Pro Scoundrel

Nov 20, 2012
    That, for me, is the main difference between Bay and Abrams. Where Bay will take a script from those two and really play up the stupid, Abrams will at least try to overcome the limits of the writing by getting good performances out of his actors and trying to keep the tone more serious.

Darth Chiznuk and Carbon1985 like this.
  16. DarthBoba

DarthBoba Manager Emeritus star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 29, 2000
    Also about 98% less racial stereotyping and Megan Fox. Just sayin'.

17. Carbon1985

Carbon1985 Jedi Knight star 3

Apr 23, 2013
    Michael Bay is what is what I call the 'King of Dummy Movies.'. He could care less about developing the characters, he could care less about giving the movie some drama, and he could care less if the story makes sense. He cares about constant action and overuse of CGI as he is one of the reasons I stopped seeing summer blockbusters anymore. If we directing Episode 7, I wouldn't even be on these forums right now.

18. darklordoftech

Sep 30, 2012
    Michael Bay and Star Wars don't belong on the same planet.

19. Pro Scoundrel

Nov 20, 2012
    As a heterosexual male, I can never object to Megan Fox, but I would prefer her to be a character rather than a prop. :)

DarthBoba likes this.
  20. Darth Eddie

Darth Eddie Jedi Master star 4

May 14, 2013
    This thread is TLDR.

Lucasfilm will keep JJ Abrams on such a tight leash that he will have no choice but to make the finest film of his career. No shakycam, no lenseflares, no unnecessary long panning shots, no protracted CG orgies, no silent poignant moments accompanied by solitary violin, in short, NONE of Abrams' grubby fingerprints will be in Episode VII. He has enough bosses above him and star wars traditionalists beneath him that it simply won't be allowed to happen. All what remains after removing these elements will be his masterful character direction, and I am beyond okay with that. And if he returns for VIII and IX, I will be highly disappointed.

If the above paragraph does not come to fruition then I may count myself among the inevitable contingent of "sequel-haters", and in turn perform mental gymnastics to justify the existence of "prequel haters".

21. Darth_Pevra

Darth_Pevra Chosen One star 6

May 21, 2008
    What a nonsense. What you are proposing is turning Abrams into an unhappy director slave who only told what is "allowed" and can't bring his own creativity into the picture. A recipe for failure if I've ever seen.

22. Darth Claire

Darth Claire Force Ghost star 5

Dec 21, 2012
    I dont see JJ Abrams as a type of director you just tell what to do nonstop and not let him do anything original. He's a bit too big name. If they wanted a slave director then I know plenty of directors who can do whatever the studio says no question.

23. Buddha Fett

Buddha Fett Force Ghost star 4

Dec 18, 1999
    Have you been paying attention to the films at all? Remember all that stuff about letting go of what is out of your control, and not mourning losses and fear leading to anger which leads to hate which leads to suffering?

If the new movies don't live up to impossibly high expectations, it's not J.J.'s fault or anyone else's. If you have a good time for two hours or so, that's all that matters. If you don't...you're only out the price of admission. I'd advise saving the 'mental gymnastics' for things that matter in life. Not a silly space movie. ;)

24. Darth_Pevra

Darth_Pevra Chosen One star 6

May 21, 2008
    I don't know why everyone is so worried about lenseflares. Abrams said he put so many into Trek because he thought it would fit the universe. Everything shiny and new and optimistic.

But Star Wars is a completely different animal. They said they wanted to do more "OT style" and that means used future. Lenseflares don't fit.

25. Pro Scoundrel

Nov 20, 2012
    Abrams won't be a "Yes man" director. He would never agree to that, and Kathy Kennedy wouldn't expect him to. Remember, Spielberg is totally in Abrams corner. The word is that he's the one who convinced Kennedy to hire Abrams. That gives JJ even more clout. This movie will be a collaboration between a lot of people, including JJ.

Darth Chiznuk and Darth_Pevra like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.