main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

ST JJ Abrams to direct Episode VII

Discussion in 'Sequel Trilogy' started by Kuestmaster, Jan 24, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Diggs

Diggs Jedi Master star 4

Oct 31, 2012
    I don't know actually, if you can pass on the torch to a likeable next generation and come up with a compelling villain and conflict you can effectively reboot and keep going. Star Wars (done right) is basically a cinematic licence to print money so they won't ever want to wrap it up, so long as it's successful. I can imagine each trilogy being it's own fairly self-contained story that will cast shadows into the next part of the saga. If people lose interest, then they'll wrap the story up.

I think SW has always been about the struggle between good and evil, and that's a story that's always been with us and always will be relevant.

Having said that, if they can keep the saga evolving in ways that gives us new understanding of previous episodes that would be great.

Pro Scoundrel and Immortiss like this.
  2. Immortiss

Immortiss Force Ghost star 5

Mar 10, 2013
    I'll go along with that. Let's say that it might be the last of the GL saga trilogies. Although he did say that he had a treasure trove of stories he handed over to KK.

3. darklordoftech

darklordoftech Force Ghost star 6

Sep 30, 2012
    Episode 32: The 8th New Hope.

4. Diggs

Diggs Jedi Master star 4

Oct 31, 2012
    It's so tricky with GL to know exactly what he had down on paper. I've heard that the ideas he initially put down and that Arndt leapt off from was only about a page. Ardnt was the one that put together the 40/50 page doc for the whole trilogy (I'm sure with constant back and forth with GL and KK). That rumour could of course be way off base but it may also be near the mark. There was that guy who said he had read the outlines for the two sequel trilogies back in the day so maybe he did have it all mapped out.

5. darklordoftech

Sep 30, 2012
    Which brings me to one of the worst possible outcomes: I-VI loosing their meaning. Who cares about Palpatine if there's always a new Sith Lord?

6. Diggs

Diggs Jedi Master star 4

Oct 31, 2012
    Well, there's more than one way of looking at it. Do you actually lose more meaning by resurrecting Palps somehow?

Personally I love Palps so if they can find a way to make it work and not suck and bring him back then I'll keep an open mind. I also hope that they can come up with other villains besides Palps and Vader. I mean, taking real life as an example, it's not as if history hasn't had it's share of world class a-holes in the past. It's not as if there haven't been terrible villains since Hitler (or in fact that make his evil any less horrific). I'm sure they can come up with somebody worthy. I actually felt that each of the PT villains had the potential to be right up there with the OT villains had they been developed further (I realize GL was trying not to steal Vader's thunder).

7. darklordoftech

Sep 30, 2012
    What I was saying I don't want would be like a new Fuhrer and another holocaust.

8. Diggs

Diggs Jedi Master star 4

Oct 31, 2012
    Which is understandable.

darklordoftech likes this.
  9. BigAl6ft6

BigAl6ft6 Chosen One star 8

Nov 12, 2012
    Rewatched "Super 8" yesterday, still really liked it a lot (those last 5 minutes are freakin' genius), Abrams does a damn good Spielberg impression so I'm fairly certain he'll be able to nail Star Wars style easily.

Immortiss and Pro Scoundrel like this.
  10. Big Bad Yoda Daddy

Big Bad Yoda Daddy Force Ghost star 4

Mar 8, 2000

Just because it's a similar baddie doesn't mean the last one wasn't bad. I mean, Stalin did some pretty horrible things. We don't say he's less bad because Hitler had already been there, done that. I mean, they used the Death Star twice in three movies - the cynic in me says it's safe to say we get a new Darth in 2015.

11. ezekiel22x

ezekiel22x Chosen One star 5

Aug 9, 2002
    Agreed that Abrams does a fairly decent job at impressions, but that's one of my worries for Episode VII. I'd like the film to aim a bit higher than pastiche. Ideally I'm hoping for a new beginning in a manner similar to TPM's style compared to the OT, where there are certainly shades and echoes of what has come before, but for the most part the film feels like an original take on an established universe. I don't want Episode VII to simply feel like part four of the OT or New Trek 3.

Krueger likes this.
  12. EHT

EHT Manager Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 13, 2007
    I agree... I want Ep 7 to feel like SW, of course, but not necessarily like the PT or the OT. I want the ST to have its own feeling within the larger SW feeling.

13. Krueger

Krueger Chosen One star 5

Aug 9, 2004
    I agree. The way I've always looked at it is that, yes, the PT and the OT are part of the same saga, but they are also different trilogies. They are stand-alone trilogies and should therefore be able to stand on their own two feet. I want the same for the ST, too.

14. Darth Claire

Darth Claire Force Ghost star 5

Dec 21, 2012
    I agree too. I want it to fit into the saga but still be able to be its own thing and not a slave to the past films. As I've said before the last thing I want is for the sequel trilogy to try too hard to copy the past films that it doesn't create its own unique identity.

15. Pro Scoundrel

Pro Scoundrel New Films Expert At Modding Casual star 6 Staff Member Manager

Nov 20, 2012
    The ST won't be able to help being different. No matter how hard JJ tries, he is still a different person, and those differences will show in the film. I believe he will ape the established style of wipes, dissolves, etc., but he won't make the exact same decisions that others would. The same way that ESB was different for ANH, Ep. VII will be different from the other films.

16. WatTamborWoo

WatTamborWoo Jedi Master star 3

Jan 22, 2011
    SW films have always had a kinetic aspect which I am sure JJ will reproduce very well. Part of SW has also been more mellow reflective sequences in the films. For example Luke on Dagobah, Padme and Anakin on Naboo and Obi Wan on Kamino. In fact, after the opening of ANH it is quite a long section that develops the characters. My hope is that we have all the action sequences but there is time to let the new characters 'breathe'.

17. ezekiel22x

ezekiel22x Chosen One star 5

Aug 9, 2002
    For me the reflective/room to breath stretches are where Abrams' Trek films utterly fail. Two films in and I feel like I have no idea what everyday life is like in his Trek universe. Hopefully he feels there is more to Star Wars than constant, hyperactive swashbuckling.

18. BigAl6ft6

BigAl6ft6 Chosen One star 8

Nov 12, 2012
    Abrams Trek movies are his style of Trek movies, and since Star Trek is basically defined by an absence of overarching style (it can basically be any genre) that he can push it more into the action/chase movie.

Going back to Super 8, it's a good example of a much, much slower paced film than anything he's done (the movie, sometimes somewhat jarringly, bounces back between character stuff and sci-fi stuff, but that's much easier to do in a Star Wars movie because the sci-fi elements are inherent to it, not intruding into real-life like it does in Super 8), and there are lots of moments of the main characters just bouncing off each other without being propelled by the narrative, so he knows to let off on the gas when warranted. It just wasn't warranted in his Star Trek movies / Mission Impossible. Watch the "Lost" pilot again that he directed if you don't feel like sitting through all of Super 8, it strikes a great balance of things zipping forward and letting the characters breathe.

my kind of scum likes this.
  19. Chewgumma

Chewgumma Chosen One star 7

Apr 14, 2009
    Can I just point out that having a director ape the style of what has gone before isn't new to this franchise. A New Hope's storytelling and editing was heavily influenced by the late great Kurosawa. That's why the BFI print of The Hidden Fortress has an audio commentary provided by George Lucas. It's also a love letter to pulpy science fiction serials like Flash Gordon. Right down to the opening crawl.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Imitation is in the franchise's blood. So it's not going to rustle my feathers if JJ does borrow from the style of 80's blockbusters and previous Star Wars movies for this endeavor. What matters to me is the end product. And I think he's proven himself capable of producing solid, enjoyable work.

20. Darth Predator

Darth Predator Jedi Master star 4

Nov 23, 1999
    Honestly, I hope that JJ Abrams takes a step away from the direction that Lucas has taken the trilogy. I would appreciate more of an adult take on Star Wars - let's face it, the people that really appreciate Star Wars nowadays aren't kids.

21. my kind of scum

my kind of scum Force Ghost star 4

Mar 4, 2002
    Somehow, I don't think that is what Disney bought the Star Wars brand for...

Krueger and Force Smuggler like this.
  22. Pro Scoundrel

Pro Scoundrel New Films Expert At Modding Casual star 6 Staff Member Manager

Nov 20, 2012
    Actually, Star Wars is appreciated by all ages like it always has been. Just ask my 5 year old nephew.

23. TtheForceHurts

TtheForceHurts Jedi Master star 4

Jan 28, 2010
    Honestly Star Wars has to become a family adventure again, like the Goonies or the old Indiana Jones movies, the prequels were way too goofy. I am fine with the adult Star Wars films, but they should rather be spin - offs (like that Zack Snyder thing).

Darth_Pevra likes this.
  24. Lando Swarm

Lando Swarm Jedi Master star 2

Aug 9, 2013
    If Toy Story 3 is anything to go by, I'm sure Arndt will do a fine job of writing a script that holds appeal across all age ranges.

25. EHT

EHT Manager Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 13, 2007
    Exactly, it's for all ages and always has been. My six year old son loves it (and he likes the movies more than TCW, too).

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.