main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

ST JJ Abrams to direct Episode VII

Discussion in 'Sequel Trilogy' started by Kuestmaster, Jan 24, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Ryus

Ryus Jedi Master star 4

Feb 25, 2013
    Yes, I know. Its been repeated often enough.

However you avoided the point of my reply. You stated everything LFL had in production was scrapped... but LFL didn't have anything movies in production (so either you're mistaken or talking about minor projects run by separate branches of LFL such as Lucasarts, Lucasbooks, etc..). Its now known fact that Arndt and Kennedy where brought on a year before Disney bought LFL so some level of early panning for Episode VII (which clearly wasn't scrapped btw) must have existed in pre-production before Disney bought them, thus while not to the same state of planning as Marvel had LFL did make themselves a more seductive purchase by showing Disney they could come up with new material for a new Trilogy and possibly beyond that too. So what you're implying is only true from a certain point of view.

2. Darth PJ

Darth PJ Force Ghost star 6

Jul 31, 2013
    Nor 'The Voyage Home', 'The Undiscoverd Country', 'The Search For Spock' or 'Generations'... hang on??? JJ's Star Trek films aren't even in the top 6 Star Trek films??? Shock horror... ;)

Pro Scoundrel likes this.
  3. TheStorm

TheStorm Jedi Grand Master star 4

Apr 8, 2002
    Well they are better than the PT at least. [face_tired]

vinsanity likes this.
  4. Darth PJ

Jul 31, 2013
    The new Star Trek films aren't... (well not unless you're intellectually challenged). Truth is - JJ's films aren't even as good as Return of the Jedi or TPM.

FRAGWAGON likes this.
  5. Darth Chiznuk

Darth Chiznuk Superninja of Future Films star 8 Staff Member Manager

Oct 31, 2012
    I'm not a big fan of JJ's Trek either but really is that necessary? :rolleyes:

6. Darth PJ

Jul 31, 2013
    Ok point taken... "for those that don't demand much intellectual stimulation from their movies". Is that more polite?

7. Darth Chiznuk

Oct 31, 2012
    Not really. I don't think any one person gets to be the judge on what is intellectually stimulating for everyone else. Just because you don't find it to be so doesn't mean someone else can't. As evidenced by this thread many people have found substance with these films.

8. EHT

EHT Manager Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 13, 2007
    Correct. Darth PJ : Please avoid using those types of statements... thanks.

9. TheStorm

Apr 8, 2002
    Ya I don't care for the "When all else fails call em dumb". routine.

10. DARTH_BELO

DARTH_BELO Force Ghost star 5

Nov 25, 2003
    Finally! We have acknowledgement from Abrams himself of his remorse regarding overuse of lens flares:

http://video.search.yahoo.com/video.....&c=7&sigr=11aeq9kv5&age=0&fr=yfp-t-122&tt=b

=D=

I feel much better about Episode VII regarding this.

Actually, when put together with his statement about not "disneyfying" SW, I am that much more assured that the ST is in good hands...

PS - I'm not sure if others have posted or talked about this interview already, but I didn't want to have to page thru endless pages of endless threads to find out...;)

DarthBreezy likes this.
  11. Darth PJ

Jul 31, 2013
    I have every right to state what I think about the new Star Trek films and/or JJ's ability as a storyteller/director. You don't have to agree with me and I don't particularly care if you do or not. But JJ's appointment as director is a big issue for me given that I think he has created some of the most vacuous blockbusters of recent years. My view is entirely relevant to this particular thread given it's about JJ directing the new Star Wars film.

Which statement exactly? That I find JJ's movies to very poor and not intellectually stimulating enough? How is that any different from the plethora of posters who routinely state that Star Wars is made for children ('made for children' in a negative sense of the term)?

12. TheStorm

Apr 8, 2002
    Oh so that gives you the right to call people intellectually challenged (aka dumb)? Nice. Showing your true colors.

13. Darth Chiznuk

Oct 31, 2012
    You have every right to state your opinion and I never said you didn't. But what you seemed to be saying is that it was impossible for others to find substance in the film and that they must not "demand much intellectual stimulation from their movies" if they liked these films. Again I don't think it's yours or anyone else's place to say what movies other people find intellectually stimulating and this thread proves that many people do find them intellectually stimulating.

14. Darth PJ

Jul 31, 2013
    What "true colours" would that be? Being honest? Stating my opinions? I didn't insult anyone personally did I? I think those particular films are made for a specific market. They are not made to evolve cinema or push cinematic boundaries. They are part of the Mcdonaldsisation of cinema... and people should be stirred that this is what's presented by mainstream Hollywood to dull senses, while 'indie' cinema and less established artists are marginalised further.

You know as well as I do that just because I may state that The Phantom Menace is the best film ever made that my view doesn't make it empirically so. Also - even if I did think that, how many people would be lining up here to tell me how delusional I was???

15. EHT

Sep 13, 2007
    Yes, that one. It's fine to have an opinion, but there are ways to present it that don't come across as insulting others' intelligence.

Edit: Let's all just move along and play nice, please.

16. TheStorm

Apr 8, 2002
    Give me a break! You are just trying to argue for the sake of arguing to get out of what you said. I said JJ's ST films are better than the PT to me. And you then stated only if you are intellectually challenged. (again aka dumb). Seriously stop trying to dig your self out of it.

TtheForceHurts likes this.
  17. Darth Chiznuk

Oct 31, 2012
    Saying TPM is the greatest film ever made would be stating your opinion but what you did was disparage other people's intelligence for stating theirs. Big difference.

EDIT: Sorry, eht13, I didn't see your post until after I posted this so I'll stop now.

18. Darth PJ

Jul 31, 2013
    That's fine... but does that extend to people who call the prequels "stupid" or "childish" given that seems to go uncontested by most moderation here... which is fine by me, because each to their own, but it smacks of double standards to me.

Jarren_Lee-Saber likes this.
  19. EHT

Sep 13, 2007
    Not sure about that; stopping "PT bashing" or "PT vs. OT" arguments is one of the most common reminders I drop in threads here.

20. Jedi Merkurian

Jedi Merkurian Future Films Rumor Naysayer star 7 Staff Member Manager

May 25, 2000
    1. It is generally accepted as bad form to come to a fan site and belittle the intelligence of fans of 50% of a saga.
    2. If you disagree with a moderator's guidance, the places to discuss it are either via PM with that Mod, in the Comms forums, or the Unban Request forums. Your choice ;)

21. Darth PJ

Jul 31, 2013
    You are joking right? Why not get angry at something that matters... like a studio system that makes the same film over and over again or a US congress that actually sabotages a healthcare bill for its people? Why direct it at me just for pointing out why these type of films are made?

22. EHT

Sep 13, 2007
    Enough. Everyone please play nice.

23. TheStorm

Apr 8, 2002
    I don't think this is an "everyone" kind of ordeal. He flat out called me dumb.

24. Darth PJ

Jul 31, 2013
    My last word on it... as I genuinely don't want to offend members or upset the moderators... but I'm not slating Star Wars, I'm criticising the new Star Trek movies and the system they exist in. I would think being critical of Trek movies on this website would be as controversial as slating Transformers, Man of Steel or One Direction etc - given that this is a Star Wars website. However, I'll refrain from giving these type of opinions if honest opinion like this is frowned upon.

25. EHT

Sep 13, 2007
    Well, Jedi Merkurian and I already addressed him directly too. He could have been using the general "you", who knows. Either way, I'm just saying at this point it would be best if everyone could just move along.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.