main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

ST JJ Abrams to direct Episode VII

Discussion in 'Sequel Trilogy' started by Kuestmaster, Jan 24, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. aguywithabiggun

aguywithabiggun Jedi Grand Master star 4

Mar 27, 1999
    You're giving Lucas way too many clever points here.

2. I Are The Internets

I Are The Internets Shelf of Shame Host star 9 VIP - Game Host

Nov 20, 2012
    Nah Orson Wells is directing it. Literally ghost-directing.

3. newdawn12

newdawn12 Jedi Master star 4

Feb 9, 2013
    I'm thinking, that we should look to his original ideas for the ST, Bad Robot, is famous for misdirection, and lying so that people
    will be surprised when they go in the theaters. From the clues, I don't think he was waiting for the actors to reach the right age, he was waiting for the technology to be ready for the ST, just as he was waiting for the tech to do the PT. Kathleen Kennedy did say that they were looking to he oast, JJ abrams, said honor, not revere. the PT was very close to his original ideas for the PT. This is based on George Lucas ideas for the ST, with inspiration from his work on the PT, and TCW.

Jarren_Lee-Saber likes this.
  4. The Hellhammer

The Hellhammer Manager Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 4, 2012
    Except for some comedy value, this idea is not really worth discussing in depth.

Also, taking things a bit far too literally. Does the hyperbolic nature of the off-hand remark that they are "constantly" talking really require an explanation?

BigAl6ft6, StoneRiver and Diggs like this.
  5. Diggs

Diggs Jedi Master star 4

Oct 31, 2012
    GL will be involved less than he has been on any of the previous Star Wars films. No two ways about it.

6. ManaByte

ManaByte Chosen One star 5

Aug 20, 1998
    Can't wait for a pic from the official site with Lucas sitting behind a camera and the resulting freak out over it :D

7. my kind of scum

my kind of scum Force Ghost star 4

Mar 4, 2002
    Well, I'd be personally happier the more George is involved.

That said, nope. I don't think for a minute that JJ would have signed on to be a "puppet" director. And I also think George genuinely wants to take a break.

8. gezvader28

gezvader28 Chosen One star 6

Mar 22, 2003
    Is this a Lucasfilm Ltd. production ? I'm assuming it isn't .

also - is JJ in the DGA ? I'm thinking of the problems Lucas encountered on Empire which led him to resigning .

9. Corax78

Corax78 Jedi Knight star 2

Jun 2, 2008
    Fun theory, and it's something I could easily see happening.

10. Diggs

Diggs Jedi Master star 4

Oct 31, 2012
    It's never going to happen.

EDIT - not saying that because I don't want GL involved or anything. I'm saying that because there's not a rat's chance in Hell it will happen.

11. newdawn12

newdawn12 Jedi Master star 4

Feb 9, 2013
    it's LFL, working with Bad Robot productions, under Disney supervision

12. Ryus

Ryus Jedi Master star 4

Feb 25, 2013
    JJ will direct it, period, but Lucas will likely be allowed into the editing room with JJ (cause this is Lucas' fav part of filming) and be on set as a consultant from time to time.

Immortiss likes this.
  13. TheTwinSuns

TheTwinSuns Jedi Master star 3

Apr 26, 2013
    I could see Lucas working with JJ and Arndt on the story. I could also see him putting some input on concept art and post production effects to make sure they have a SW 'look and feel.' But he is not going to be behind the camera.

Jarren_Lee-Saber and Ryus like this.
  14. Jedi Merkurian

Jedi Merkurian Future Films Rumor Naysayer star 7 Staff Member Manager

May 25, 2000
    This topic does not warrant a separate thread. Merging.

15. Darth PJ

Darth PJ Force Ghost star 6

Jul 31, 2013
    Lucas will have a major influence on the ST I'm sure, but NOT in terms of production or direction.

16. Krueger

Krueger Chosen One star 5

Aug 9, 2004
    I can't wait for the DVD extras of Episode 7.

17. I Are The Internets

Nov 20, 2012
    I'm assuming this is what Lucas's role will be for the ST:

[​IMG]

vinsanity, BigAl6ft6, IG_2000 and 5 others like this.
  18. Lee_

Lee_ Force Ghost star 5

Nov 3, 2012
    [​IMG]

19. IG_2000

IG_2000 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Aug 5, 2008
  20. I Are The Internets

Nov 20, 2012
    I will do an ambush interview about the ST with him. I'll slip truth serum in his coffee.

21. Echo-07

Echo-07 Jedi Master star 4

Nov 9, 2012
    Interesting theory. Firstly, have you heard anything supporting it?

IMO I think George will have more to do with E7 than anyone thinks. He's "retired" but I'm quite sure he will be advising JJ constantly just as Jett said. BUT I don't think George will be directing with JJ as his assistant a la Empire or ROTJ.

I DO see George guiding KK and JJ as more than a "Consultant" but as a Producer.

22. BigAl6ft6

BigAl6ft6 Chosen One star 8

Nov 12, 2012
    I think, when all is said and done, Lucas and Abrams will maybe have a chat or two (Jett Lucas saying "talking constantly" I think was, maybe, a bit overblown), Abrams and Bad Robot will basically be doing all the heavy lifting ala the Star Trek movies, and Lucas will get an executive producer credit just to make it look pretty. (Check out how Spielberg gets EP credits on the Transformers flicks and his sole involvement was apparently coming up with the "boy and his car" hook for the first flick and getting Bay to direct.)

23. I Are The Internets

Nov 20, 2012
    Lucas will put in input here and there, but I think he's probably done/fed up with directing.

24. SuperPersch

SuperPersch Jedi Grand Master star 4

Apr 25, 2004
    What would make you think that? Jett didn't seem like a dubious young man. I totally believe him. It's Lucas' masterwork, after all. And I would imagine JJ would want as much input from him as possible.

25. TheStorm

TheStorm Jedi Grand Master star 4

Apr 8, 2002

No, Jett's not there for a lot of it, it seems like he's doing his own thing in Chicago. I'm sure Lucas and JJ have had talks, but I doubt they are on the phone constantly. Lucas will give some input, but one thing people seem to forget...it's JJ's call if he wants to take certain advice or not. Which is the good thing. Lucas has great ideas...and not so great ones. But most importantly people forget that Lucas said he's done with this. It's why he sold his company. Not because he was strapped for cash. He wants to leave it behind, but he made sure he got individuals/companies he knew he could trust to do the right thing. Another point that many seem to ignore of what Jett said...is that his dad has finally let go of it.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.