main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

ST JJ Abrams to direct Episode VII

Discussion in 'Sequel Trilogy' started by Kuestmaster, Jan 24, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. I Are The Internets

I Are The Internets Shelf of Shame Host star 9 VIP - Game Host

Nov 20, 2012
    That's a horribly disturbing image.

2. KED12345

KED12345 Jedi Master star 4

Sep 10, 2012

Well, aren't you the Internets? Certainly you've seen more disturbing images around! ;)

3. I Are The Internets

I Are The Internets Shelf of Shame Host star 9 VIP - Game Host

Nov 20, 2012
    Yes. Enough to drive a person mad...

4. Darth_Articulate

Darth_Articulate Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 1, 2012
    Wait, is there confirmation somewhere that Arndt is working on 8, or are you speaking from a wishing stand point?

I love the ending of the interview: "Really quick..." "I won't be able to sleep tonight" done. wth??

5. Diggs

Diggs Jedi Master star 4

Oct 31, 2012
    I'm pretty sure Arndt isn't working on 8. He's been replaced on the project. If it was to switch on to VIII they would have announced it at the time.

6. Dra---

Dra--- Force Ghost star 6

Dec 30, 2012
    Good point. Seems like a detail they wouldn't keep secret. Rather the opposite.

Pro Scoundrel likes this.
  7. Pro Scoundrel

Pro Scoundrel New Films Expert At Modding Casual star 6 Staff Member Manager

Nov 20, 2012
    I wonder how early work will start on Ep. 8, since the production schedule for this trilogy is tighter than in the past.

8. Darth Downunder

Darth Downunder Chosen One star 6

Aug 5, 2001
    That was a good impression at the end by the interviewer

9. Diggs

Diggs Jedi Master star 4

Oct 31, 2012

Exactly. It would have made any bad news spin on the announcement impossible.

Pro Scoundrel , Darth PJ and Dra--- like this.
  10. Darth_Articulate

Nov 1, 2012
    I kind of figured that too. I could have used a lot less diplomatic phrasing then "are you speaking from a wishing stand point" (though I would have kept the first four words in that sentence)

11. The Hellhammer

The Hellhammer Manager Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 4, 2012
    Hah. Accidentally clicked on the first page of this thread, without noticing... there's links all over saying "JJ Abrams to direct next SW film" and people all going "I'll wait for confirmation on this..." and for like 5 minutes I kept scrolling around thinking it was confirmed he'll be directing Episode 8 as well.

That's the most fun I've had in this thread in months :p

12. Immortiss

Immortiss Force Ghost star 5

Mar 10, 2013
    Why wouldn't JJ and Co. simply make VIII and IX consecutively? That is to film and edit them in the style of the Hobbit.

13. Diggs

Diggs Jedi Master star 4

Oct 31, 2012

Actually, that might not be 100% out of the question at this stage (or at least have been under consideration).

14. The Hellhammer

Nov 4, 2012
    Filming them together would make quite a bit of sense.

Diggs and T-R- like this.
  15. Darth_Articulate

Nov 1, 2012
    Practically speaking, yes. Although, one of the things I've always liked about saga flicks is that each movie had it's own style and feel, unlike LOTR, which all felt like they were in the same movie. I've always kind of suspected that the years between the shoots had a lot to do with that.

16. Immortiss

Immortiss Force Ghost star 5

Mar 10, 2013
    With the release date pushed back Disney executives might insist and JJ may be planning on it anyway.

Diggs likes this.
  17. Darth PJ

Darth PJ Force Ghost star 6

Jul 31, 2013
    I don't think they'll be filming the ST back to back given that it requires a huge amount of planning and precision on the production teams part. It would mean that they'd have to be much further on (certainly in terms of script) than what appears to be the case. Of course the advantage Jackson had with TLOTR was a wealth of material to kick into shape... we assume Lucas didn't hand over something equivalent to TLOTR when he sold to Disney.

18. Darth_Articulate

Nov 1, 2012
    Also the more I think about it, the more a back-to-back shoot doesn't even make sense practically at this point. Not only would it push the Ep.7 release date even further back, throwing Disney's marketing plan into disarray, but it would needlessly leave extra time after post and before release for 8 and 9

Mystery_Roach likes this.
  19. sluggo1313.

sluggo1313. Jedi Knight star 4

Aug 23, 2013
    I doubt they will. Most movie franchises don't shoot that way for a reason. It takes a very long time and its hard on the actors.

Darth_Articulate likes this.
  20. The Hellhammer

Nov 4, 2012
    Fair point about the different styles and feels to movies. That makes sense and in light of that, yeah, it might be better off to shoot them one by one.

All other arguments, of practicality, planning, schedule, etc. - those can be fixed, since there is quite a bit of time until they get on to working on Episode 8 (and/or 9). I don't think those would pose any kind of problems if they decide to take it down that route in the next year or so.

21. Darth PJ

Jul 31, 2013
    The problem is that when attempting to shoot concurrent stories it obviously often necessitates shooting parts of Ep IX in the same shooting block as Ep VII etc. That would mean shooting scripts for all 3 films would need to be locked down by spring 2014. That's possible, but not probable given what we're privy to.

22. Diggs

Diggs Jedi Master star 4

Oct 31, 2012

Not with the second two necessarily. I agree about the different feel/ directors etc. But they could quite easily right the development log-jam they've been under on VII by the time they would need to start shooting 8 & 9.

Immortiss likes this.
  23. Darth PJ

Jul 31, 2013
    As I said, possible but not probable. I don't think they'll have the shooting scripts for all 3 movies ready for spring 2014. We assume that pushing out the release dates for Ep VII was to allow provision for the script for that particular movie to be in fit shape... Do we really think they'll start shooting scenes for Ep IX in spring?

TKT likes this.
  24. T-R-

T-R- Chosen One star 5

Aug 13, 2003
    true, but that doesn't mean they can't shoot 8 and 9 back to back.

Immortiss likes this.
  25. Darth PJ

Jul 31, 2013
    That is true.

Immortiss and Diggs like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.