main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

ST JJ Abrams to direct Episode VII

Discussion in 'Sequel Trilogy' started by Kuestmaster, Jan 24, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. T-R-

T-R- Chosen One star 5

Aug 13, 2003
    I was thinking of a darkside entity...............but nanomites

2. DARTHVENGERDARTHSEAR

DARTHVENGERDARTHSEAR Force Ghost star 5

Jun 8, 2002
    Like the kind in The Day The Earth Stood Still?

3. TheBBP

TheBBP Force Ghost star 6

Nov 6, 2012
    -Jedi Joe- likes this.
  4. Diggs

Diggs Jedi Master star 4

Oct 31, 2012
    While I'm hoping we'll get different directors for each of the episodes, I wouldn't be surprised to see JJ take over the whole trilogy. I could definitely see Favreau doing one of the spin-offs though.

Pro Scoundrel and T-R- like this.
  5. Da'wid Yott

Da'wid Yott Jedi Youngling star 1

Mar 4, 2014
    ...if JJ pulls Ep 7 off and hits it home, I then hope he carries it through to 9. But the difficultly will be that this is such a delicate subject matter (delicate as in there are legions of fan that will have wide opinions no matter how good) that if it is not an off the charts success, they will probably go with another director for 8. Like Diggs says, most likely different directors for each of the three. But I am very satisfied with JJ at the helm; I would have trusted Favreau as well. I would love to see Favreau, Blaukamp (sp?) and Del Torro take spin-offs (yes GDT, even though most were disappointed with Pacific Rim).

6. Darth PJ

Darth PJ Force Ghost star 6

Jul 31, 2013
    I have to say, whilst acknowledging Star Wars films are broadly big effects/blockbuster films, I'd much rather see a director who wasn't so much known for such things, but rather someone who was known for visual flare and/or intermit story telling. A Wes Anderson or David Yates, Paul Greengrass, Danny Boyle etc.

Immortiss likes this.
  7. TCF-1138

TCF-1138 Anthology/Fan Films/NSA Mod & Ewok Enthusiast star 6 Staff Member Manager

Sep 20, 2002
    I agree with you there. I'm very happy with the choice of JJ, but for future installments it would be interesting with another sort of director.
    Andrew Dominik maybe? The Assassination of Jesse James by the Coward Robert Ford was an underrated masterpiece.

Darth PJ and Pro Scoundrel like this.
  8. Darth PJ

Jul 31, 2013
    I agree... or Paul Thomas Anderson etc.

9. Diggs

Diggs Jedi Master star 4

Oct 31, 2012
    I agree with you, although I'd love to see the likes of Cuaron, Bird and Affleck have a play.

Darth PJ and Pro Scoundrel like this.
  10. Mange

Mange Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jan 11, 2003
    Indeed, not just flares...

Darth PJ likes this.
  11. I Are The Internets

I Are The Internets Shelf of Shame Host star 9 VIP - Game Host

Nov 20, 2012
    Frances Ford Coppola could always direct a spin-off...

12. FRAGWAGON

FRAGWAGON Jedi Master star 4

Nov 3, 2012
    Stanton. Animators get it.

13. BigAl6ft6

BigAl6ft6 Chosen One star 8

Nov 12, 2012
    I think Abrams will use his Ep. 7 clout to get another personal, Bad Robot product off the ground. I foresee other directors for the ST. Each OT movie has it's own distinctive feel but fit into the larger tapestry. I'd like Abrams to fit into that model.

For the spin-offs, go crazy with out-of-the-box director decisions and stylistic fringes. I would like all of the Star Wars Episodes movie to look fairly uniform across the board but I'm down with going nuts on the side-stories and really break/twist up the format.

14. Krueger

Krueger Chosen One star 5

Aug 9, 2004
    ^ I agree wholeheartedly about the spin-offs. However, I can see Abrams handling the whole of the ST.

BigAl6ft6 likes this.
  15. plaidphoenix

plaidphoenix Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 6, 2013
    John Carpenter to direct Boba Fett spinoff tentatively titled "Big Trouble in Little Mos Eisley"

16. Palpatine2016

Palpatine2016 Jedi Master star 4

Nov 12, 2012
    I get the feeling that J.J. will be taking on the whole ST. Just a gut feeling. But it might also be determined by the success of the ST.

Krueger likes this.
  17. banthatracks74

banthatracks74 Jedi Knight

Oct 30, 2013
    Did you see John Carter? It was a disaster. Having said that JJ Abrams is a much worse choice than Stanton. Abrams comes across as a corporate whore, taking on other peoples ideas and not adding anything to them. Mission Imposssible, Star Trek, Amblin, Star Wars... If the guy could come up with his own idea and run with it I could maybe have a little respect for the guy. He can't, of course, that's why he trashes all the previous franchises and series I mentioned.

Author China MiƩville summed up Abrams best: "I disliked Star Trek intensely. I thought it was terrible. And I think part of my problem is that I feel like the relationship between JJ Abrams' projects and geek culture is one of relatively unloving repackaging - sort of cynical. I taste contempt in the air. Now I'm not a child - I know that all big sci-fi projects are suffused with the contempt of big money for its own target audience. But there's something about JJ's projects that makes me particularly uncomfortable. As compared to somebody like Joss Whedon, who - even when there are misfires - I feel likes me and loves me and is on some cultural level my brother and comrade. And I don't feel that way about JJ Abrams."

I just wish Lucas had done the sequels himself or just sat on the rights. Whether people like it or not George Lucas IS Star Wars. Anything not made by him will just be a pale imitation.

18. Darth PJ

Jul 31, 2013
    For the sake of the ST I'd really like to disagree with you... but I can't. I really hope we're wrong...

Darth Raiden and Mystery Roach like this.
  19. Samuel Vimes

Samuel Vimes Force Ghost star 4

Sep 4, 2012
    I don't think it is this simple. If we keep talking about Star Trek, Gene has been behind some very good Trek but so have others.
    ST 2 and ST 6, which were quite against Gene's vision, are to me, some of the best Trek films. They are films Gene would never have made and if Star Trek had been forever in Gene's hands then I think we would have lost a lot of quality Star Trek.

As for Lucas, we already have examples fo SW films not directed by him and not soley written by him and they were quite good.
    I know he was involved but even with less involvement you still had a good product.

Bye for now.
    Old Stoneface

Darth PJ and Jedi Merkurian like this.
  20. FRAGWAGON

FRAGWAGON Jedi Master star 4

Nov 3, 2012
    Yeah I saw it! Loved it, own it. Gotta watch it again, thanks for the reminder.

Lucas had a background in animation, don'tchaknow.

21. Darth Claire

Darth Claire Force Ghost star 5

Dec 21, 2012
    Found this:

SciFiNow Issue 91

I look forward to him breaking his silence by revealing absolutely nothing :p

Mange likes this.
  22. TheTwinSuns

TheTwinSuns Jedi Master star 3

Apr 26, 2013
    "So, what can you tell us about Episode VII?"

" [​IMG] "

In all honestly, I hope it isn't a rehash. But...

23. Mange

Mange Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jan 11, 2003
    So, when is it due?

24. bergstrom

bergstrom Jedi Master star 2

Jan 26, 2004
    I'm seriously getting fan fatigue at this stage. They could reveal the whole cast 2moro and I just probably wouldn't care. I'm literally worn out waiting.

25. Big Bad Yoda Daddy

Big Bad Yoda Daddy Force Ghost star 4

Mar 8, 2000
    People were disappointed in PR? That's the only one of his films I enjoyed! (Though I haven't yet seen Pan's Labyrinth and everyone tells me that's his best.)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.