main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

ST JJ Abrams to direct Episode VII

Discussion in 'Sequel Trilogy' started by Kuestmaster, Jan 24, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Gallandro

Gallandro Force Ghost star 4

Jul 8, 1998
    I actually like elements of the 9/11 allegory, but overall they fall flat as they are 10+ years removed (not a lot of risk taking here), and they are handled in a fairly ham-fisted manner. Love the first of JJ's Trek films, despite the technical excesses, but I find myself liking Into Darkness less the more I see it. There are some spectacular action set pieces, but really the only thing really holding the film together is Cumberbatch's performance. He makes the character engaging, and at times sympathetic, but he is wonderfully over the top when needed. Unfortunately it's lost in a muddled script.

Yancy

2. BigAl6ft6

BigAl6ft6 Chosen One star 8

Nov 12, 2012
    I don't mind that Into Darkness' political allegory is a tad behind the curve, that's generally what happens with Trek anyway. I thought that this one tried to be more "about something" which is what is underneath most great Trek political allegorical stories. Although I will give the advantage of "Star Trek" being a more cohesive experience, even if it does mostly dispense with the political allegory of Trek (instead, it falls under the umbrella of various Trek time travel / alternate universe stories only this time there isn't really any time travel in it!)

Mystery Roach likes this.
  3. Arawn_Fenn

Arawn_Fenn Chosen One star 7

Jul 2, 2004
    However, the allusion to the question of the morality of drone warfare is far more current. I don't know if the film actually set out to be a "9/11 allegory".

Jedi Merkurian likes this.
  4. SimitarLikeTusk

SimitarLikeTusk Jedi Knight star 3

Mar 10, 2014
    So now youre even criticizing STID for subtext that you yourself have projected onto it?

Darth_Pevra likes this.
  5. BigAl6ft6

BigAl6ft6 Chosen One star 8

Nov 12, 2012
    The 9/11 allegory in "Star Trek" is the destruction of the Kelvin / Vulcan. 9/11 allegorical element in to "Star Trek Into Darkness" is about the assassination of Bin Laden. Logically, one can extrapolate that the next Trek movie will be about adaptations and representations of 9/11 through pop-culture. The circle is now complete.

Darth PJ likes this.
  6. TCF-1138

TCF-1138 Anthology/Fan Films/NSA Mod & Ewok Enthusiast star 6 Staff Member Manager

Sep 20, 2002
  7. Momotaros

Momotaros Jedi Master star 4

Aug 13, 2013
  8. Krueger

Krueger Chosen One star 5

Aug 9, 2004
    I do agree with Devin. I cannot see any point in keeping the cast hidden now, as well as returning cast members will all know will be in the film. Just bloody tell us who’s in the film. No need for character names, just the actors. There is simply no reason for such an absurd level of secrecy. At least no reason that I can think of. I mean, Peter Mayhew returning as Chewbacca shouldn’t really be big news, but because of this utterly ruthless shroud of secrecy JJ's got going on, it’s now turned into big news. It’s ridiculous. And no, its not “fan entitlement” (which is an incredibly patronising term, BTW), its annoyance at a ludicrous level of secrecy that shouldn’t be as severe as it is. It’s as simple as that. Rant over.

9. Serpico Jones

Serpico Jones Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 3, 2012
    I agree entirely with Devin. The tweets from Jeff Sneider also sound a little ominous.

10. purplerain

purplerain Jedi Knight star 4

Sep 14, 2013
    Secrecy suggests a lack of confidence. Trusting VII to be good is like trusting a stranger.

11. Luukeskywalker

Luukeskywalker Force Ghost star 5

Jun 23, 1999
    Actually I dont necessarily want character names. But nice hints to go along with each new cast member like "a young Skywalker" or "a ruthless villain" will do and help get our mouths watering just enough.

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Tapatalk

12. TCF-1138

TCF-1138 Anthology/Fan Films/NSA Mod & Ewok Enthusiast star 6 Staff Member Manager

Sep 20, 2002
    According to Horn, the casting isn't done yet. Maybe they want to wait so they can announce the entire cast at once?

13. Lurknomore

Lurknomore Jedi Knight star 4

Mar 18, 2014

I believe Alan Horn when he says they're still casting. In fact, I think they're looking for their main character. Abrams has a history of casting the biggest roles last, and waiting until the very last minute to do so.

I don't blame them for not announcing until they have a protagonist. If they go ahead and reveal what they have now, the big story will be how they haven't found a lead yet. That's much worse press than a few grumblings on Twitter. When they do finally release, they want the story to be on how interesting their choices are, including their main character.

Krueger likes this.
  14. Jedi Merkurian

Jedi Merkurian Future Films Rumor Naysayer star 7 Staff Member Manager

May 25, 2000
    How often does something get leaked only for there to be an outpouring of nerdraaaaaage as people extrapolate a whole story from a scap of info, and then bash the story they made up.

*cough*Heath Ledger Joker *cough*

15. DarthWilliams

DarthWilliams Jedi Grand Master star 4

May 29, 2008

Exactly. If they announced just a few cast members right now with a clarification that it's not everyone, the inevitable interpretation of the story will be that the film's in trouble because they can't find all of the cast members they need. It's in their interest to let the grumbling stay on fan forums and Twitter, make a full, official announcement when they've got everyone, and not leave room to read between the lines.

16. Krueger

Aug 9, 2004
    Hopefully, you're right.

17. Bazinga'd

Bazinga'd Saga / WNU Manager - Knights of LAJ star 7 Staff Member Manager

Nov 1, 2012
    More truer words have never been spoken

18. Luukeskywalker

Luukeskywalker Force Ghost star 5

Jun 23, 1999
    They way I am understanding it is that most of the cast is in place. With reports from last week that they are still holding auditions for the lead role or one of the leads, ,it actually makes sense they haven't announced any cast members just yet. Normally a studio starts by announcing the lead or leads and then works their way down through the cast announcing the supporting roles after that. I dont recall a production that has started casting announcements by revealing supporting cast members first before the leads are known. If they had the leads locked down first, then we may have had some cast members officially confirmed already and then they would release supporting members as they sign. But since it appears to be the lead role still not locked yet, they are sitting on everyone else for now. Just my take on it.

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Tapatalk

19. DarthHomer

DarthHomer Jedi Grand Master star 5

Apr 29, 2000
    Then they should be made to. I'm really tired of modern audiences complaining that any film made before the 2000s is "slow" and "boring". Heck, even when ANH SE came out, I remember some younger people complaining the first 20 minutes of the movie were just boring scenes of robots walking around. People don't seem to realize that you need those slower scenes in a movie, even a sci-fi adventure movie, in order to care what happens to the characters at the end. There's a reason there's zero emotional investment in the movies of Michael Bay and most other modern blockbuster filmmakers - they just can't be bothered to spend the time to establish the characters and story because they're so afraid of boring the audience.

Having said that, I think JJ does have it in him to make a slower paced film. Super 8 certainly did a good job of establishing the kids and their world before introducing the sci-fi element (in fact, he probably did a better job of the former than the latter). I'm not saying that EVII has to have lots of scenes of politics and Jedi speaking very slowly, but I hope JJ tones down the frenetic quality he brought to ST a little and just focuses on the characters for the first half of the movie. Save most of the fast-paced action for the second half (just like Lucas did in ANH) so we actually give a damn by then.

20. RobShanti

RobShanti Jedi Master star 4

Jan 6, 2009
    And who's going to make them, you? ;)

Seriously, though, I don't think that's the answer. The "new generation of filmmakers" to whom Lucas has passed the torch needs to walk a line between harkening back to the feeling of the OT without sacrificing the pace and style of the times, IMHO.

21. Ganger

Ganger Jedi Grand Master star 4

Dec 9, 1999
    what's the difference between an entitled little kid yelling at his mom at the supermarket because he "has to have a candy bar" and a Star Wars fan?

150 pounds.

BA DUM TSSSSSSS.

Satipo and lord_eidolon like this.
  22. Darth PJ

Darth PJ Force Ghost star 6

Jul 31, 2013
    I agree... I think the ST has to be its own thing without sacrificing quality too much. We have to accept that, broadly speaking, the pace of action/entertainment films have picked up speed since the OT (and even the PT), so the ST will need to reflect modern sensibilities. Saying that, I think the OT certainly seemed paceier and action orientated than its contemporaries... so these things are relative.

23. Big Bad Yoda Daddy

Big Bad Yoda Daddy Force Ghost star 4

Mar 8, 2000
    Yeah, I remember when I heard Matt Damon was cast as Jason Bourne, and I thought, "Matt Damon? That guy? He'll never pull off a spy thriller!"

24. hachijedi

hachijedi Jedi Grand Master star 4

Feb 22, 2012
    Tatoonie, Original Trilogy Main Characters, John Williams. Looks like JJ is about to make his George Lucas Homage film with "Episode VII" like he did for Speilberg with "Super 8".

Mystery Roach likes this.
  25. Krueger

Aug 9, 2004
    ^ Yes, I'm getting that vibe. TBH, I wouldn't mind that so much, but it’s imperative that it’s also its own film and the first of a trilogy.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.