main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

ST JJ Abrams to direct Episode VII

Discussion in 'Sequel Trilogy' started by Kuestmaster, Jan 24, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Darth PJ

Darth PJ Force Ghost star 6

Jul 31, 2013
    I don't care who agrees... Nimoy's appearance in Star Trek 09 is contrived, convenient shoehorning. He's not so much passing the torch, but passing the key...

Andy Wylde likes this.
  2. Satipo

Satipo Force Ghost star 7

Mar 29, 2014
    I liked it in the first one, not in STID.

Death_Jar_Jar likes this.
  3. phatdude1138

phatdude1138 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Feb 2, 2005
    There's a big difference from nostalgia, reboots, continuity, etc.

Superman Returns was a reboot, and for the most part mimicked the original story which parts of it would of course be nostalgic. Star Trek was a reboot 100%, however they blatantly show you how it is rebooted with the whole alternate universe thing. It would have been nostalgic with or without Nimoy because they kept (mostly aesthetic) the look of the original Trek. I agree the Nimoy appearance is forced, almost like a last tether to the pre-Abrams era Star Trek.

EP7 is not a reboot. It is a direct continuation from the existing saga. If there is a stormtrooper, it's really a stormtrooper, not a nostalgic nod. The only way I could see nostalgic nods happening is if there is no reason for the story to have a particular character, or object or scene and it's just thrown in there as a cameo. Again though, since this is a continuation, and not a separate story, anything from EP1-6 could potentially show up and it's all legit, because it is all canon, and all continuity.

Andy Wylde and EHT like this.
  4. SimitarLikeTusk

SimitarLikeTusk Jedi Knight star 3

Mar 10, 2014
    How the hell do you make something nostalgic. It's the viewer that has the nostalgia and views the film through the remembrance of the source material. Of course a sequel 30 years later to a beloved classic will invoke plenty of nostalgia, as does any sequel.
    Does that mean the movie will be an unoriginal retread? No. Why would you fear or assume this? [Removed].

Mod edit: Too much.

5. Pro Scoundrel

Pro Scoundrel New Films Expert At Modding Casual star 6 Staff Member Manager

Nov 20, 2012
    I just love how nostalgia is a dirty word on this forum. As if something that can evoke a fond remembrance of something I previously loved, and make me feel that again, is a bad thing. :oops:

6. Satipo

Mar 29, 2014
    Yeah, I don't think nostalgia has to be a bad thing at all. So long as the new film also moves things forwards and stands on its own two feet , a dose of nostalgia is ok by me. I mean, once we see the A long time ago... Card, I imagine most if us are going to be fairly nostalgic to one level or another.

7. vinsanity

vinsanity Jedi Master star 4

Jan 28, 2013
    Not only on this forum, but it's a very common in plenty of message boards saying that nostalgia = bad. It's the execution that makes it good or bad.

8. Tugann_An_Solas

Tugann_An_Solas Jedi Padawan star 1

Jul 24, 2014
    Irish news report from today, nothing new to add unfortunately : (

FRAGWAGON likes this.
  9. Darth PJ

Jul 31, 2013
    I don't think there is anything wrong with feeling 'nostalgic'... both as a filmmaker or as a viewer... but I think what is being discussed here is the notion that filmmakers are overtly looking to evoke a sense of nostalgia, which is perhaps disconnected from the actual narrative and themes, and is instead largely focused on the cosmetic/surface values. I think there's a distinction.... and of course these are not mutually exclusive. Star Wars and Indiana Jones were of course built, in part, on nostalgia for what Lucas/Spielberg grew up with... but again, I'm not sure that's what's being referred to here.

10. Satipo

Mar 29, 2014
    If it's only looking backwards and a facsimile if what worked originally, it will never be as satisfying.

11. Qui-Riv-Brid

Qui-Riv-Brid Force Ghost star 5

Apr 18, 2013
    It may be but they wrote the entire script around it so it was a core contrivance.

Andy Wylde likes this.
  12. darth-sinister

darth-sinister Manager Emeritus star 10 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 28, 2001

Ambassador Spock in the 09 film was logical since the story was about him first and Kirk second. Could the story have been told without him? Sure. But the character was not shoe horned it, but rather built up through properly. Kirk in the seventh film was set up that way before a script had been written, since the showrunners and Paramount wanted to do that and there had been four guest spots done earlier in TNG. Likewise here, Lucas had intended for the returning characters to be part of the new story from early on. Just as he had with Obi-wan, Yoda, Palpatine and Vader before he even conceived of doing a prequel film trilogy.

BigAl6ft6 likes this.
  13. BigAl6ft6

BigAl6ft6 Chosen One star 8

Nov 12, 2012
    Kevin Smith, on the most recent Hollywood Babble-on, said he got an e-mail from JJ telling him to shut up about going onto the Millennium Falcon. Smith responded saying he hasn't spoiled anything, the Falcon is already known to be in the movie. JJ responded that he's not concerned about Kevin spoiling the movie, it's just that now since Kevin got to go into the Falcon, Disney is being inundated with e-mails and requests from various people saying, sometimes angrily, that THEY should be able to see the Falcon if freakin' Kevin Smith got to get on it!

14. Krueger

Krueger Chosen One star 5

Aug 9, 2004
    Is that true?

15. BigAl6ft6

BigAl6ft6 Chosen One star 8

Nov 12, 2012
    Check out this week's Hollywood Babble On!

46 minute mark!

https://soundcloud.com/smodco/babbleon-177#t=46:10

(TFN boards won't let us embed sound-cloud links, boo. chop chop, TFN overlords!)

TheBBP, mratm23 and Krueger like this.
  16. Darth PJ

Jul 31, 2013
    You could erase Nimmoy's Spock from the entire Star Trek 09 without little adverse effect. He really is there simply as a connection to the original films. From a plotting perspective, his main purpose is to allow Kirk to escape off that ice planet in a very contrived and convenient manner. He's no more fundamental to the actual plot as Marion is to The Kingdom of the Crystal Skull or Kirk in Generations. Other than that it's semantics... For example, I thought the last X-Men film was ok but it wasn't really a mash up of old and new characters (save Wolverine), IMO, the clear focus was on the younger characters with Magneto and Prof X being relegated to being plot devices rather than functioning characters. That's what I'm talking about.

17. SimitarLikeTusk

SimitarLikeTusk Jedi Knight star 3

Mar 10, 2014
    What youre talking about makes absolutely no sense

18. Young Yoda

Young Yoda Jedi Knight star 1

May 4, 2014
    BigAl6ft6 likes this.
  19. Lord Miggler

Lord Miggler Jedi Knight star 2

Feb 6, 2013
    What would then be the driving factor for Nero's revenge mission to destroy Vulcan and Earth ?

Jedi Merkurian likes this.
  20. Darth PJ

Jul 31, 2013
    Spock is just a plot device... he could have easily been Bob from Uranus. Similar to Marion in Kingdom of the Crystal Skull, they give cause for another character to do something... but as a character in themselves, they are largely passive, perfunctory and redundant. It's exactly what I don't want Luke, Han and Leia to be. If you want the 'big 3' to be akin to 'Spock Prime' then good for you, but I would be very dissapointed with that.

21. Lord Miggler

Lord Miggler Jedi Knight star 2

Feb 6, 2013
    If it was Bob from Uranus why would Nero then destroy Vulcan and target Earth ? he would probably target Uranus which would then make it a completely different movie, and not really mean much to present day Spock and Kirk.

TtheForceHurts likes this.
  22. thejeditraitor

thejeditraitor Chosen One star 6

Aug 19, 2003
    i think both the new star treks are great. i watch them whenever they're on. the cast and the chemistry is great. the films are enjoyable. the humor is good. the effects are top notch and i like the direction. the only bad things are the lens flares and they were toned down a lot in the second one.

TtheForceHurts likes this.
  23. Darth PJ

Jul 31, 2013
    Do I really need to explain the term 'plot device'??? That's just detail that can be written to suit whichever character they choose to use. It doesn't really negate the point that Spock Prime is more a plot devise than a character in the new Star Trek movies. I don't want any of the 'big 3' to be used like this. Is there anyone here (who want to see the big 3 again) who'd be happy if that was the extent of Luke, Han and Leia's role?

24. ray243

ray243 Jedi Grand Master star 3

May 26, 2006

That's because nostalgia is extremely subjective to personal taste. Some people thinks that seeing the X-Wings makes the film nostalgic but others will feel like the film is basically recycling the old design. Some thinks that seeing the big 3 back on screen will make the film nostalgic for them while others would prefer to see new characters.

The biggest problem is trying to recapture the original feel of the OT might not work, because we as an audience have moved on to an extend. If a brand new sci-fi movie was made without CGI and had the pacing of the OT, chances are there won't be enough audience who will like it enough for the movie to turn a massive profit. The box office performances of King Kong and Superman Returns does suggests that the general public has moved on with the times, despite the films themselves having solid reviews on rottentomatoes.

What the directors like best about the old movies might be different from you.Abrams has stated he like ANH as his favourite movie, while fans generally prefer ESB. So if he chose to recapture the elements he loved the most in ANH, there is no guarantee we would like those nostalgic moments.

25. Darth PJ

Jul 31, 2013
    I don't think there is anything wrong in using ANH as a broad template... it's certainly my fave SW film.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.