main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

ST JJ Abrams to direct Episode VII

Discussion in 'Sequel Trilogy' started by Kuestmaster, Jan 24, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. TtheForceHurts

TtheForceHurts Jedi Master star 4

Jan 28, 2010
    That is all true, but I meant not an exact copy of ANH, but the light adventure, swashbuckling tone of the movie that sets up mysteries that can be explored in later movies but has a true ending and not a cliffhanger.

2. Darth PJ

Darth PJ Force Ghost star 6

Jul 31, 2013
    I don't know... I think audiences have changed, and so too their expectations, and many muti movie franchises now develop an overarching/branching story that runs parralel to the featured self contained one... Some have to do it this way because of the source material being books e.g. The Hunger Games, TLOTR, The Hobbit, Harry Potter... But some are designed that way specifically from the off e.g. Spiderman, Captain America/Iron Man, Batman, the recent Planet of the Apes et al. It's something that seemed to start (in my cinema going experience at least) with TESB, and has grown increasingly popular over the last 10/15 years. Ironically, JJ's Star Trek being a noteable exception.

As I say... I don't think it's mutually exclusive. I think it's entirely feasible to give a given film a sense of closure whilst leaving things finely balanced (from a story/character perspective) which creates a sense of 'what happens next?' with the audience (examples above).

Andy Wylde likes this.
  3. EHT

EHT Manager Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 13, 2007
    I have a similar position. ANH is my favorite movie overall... out of all movies. Yet TESB is my favorite Star Wars movie. Yes, it seems illogical, but oh well. :p

hippie1kenobi and fishtailsam like this.
  4. Darth PJ

Jul 31, 2013
    Not illogical at all. I still think ANH is overall the best SW film and my heart absolutely belongs to it, but the one I usually return to over any is TESB. It's got more depth/detail and replay value (IMHO).

Ganger, TKT, Satipo and 1 other person like this.
  5. darklordoftech

darklordoftech Force Ghost star 6

Sep 30, 2012
    The fact that Abrams was chosen to write and direct VII makes me think that LFL is looking to ANH.

6. Palpatine2016

Palpatine2016 Jedi Master star 4

Nov 12, 2012
    Makes sense. ANH is the best standalone movie, I think. I think that's why I don't enjoy it as much, since I view all the movies as a Star Wars movie.

7. Jcuk

Jcuk Jedi Grand Master star 5

Mar 16, 2013
    Totally irrelevant to the thread, but the episode I enjoy the least is ROTJ.

8. Palpatine2016

Palpatine2016 Jedi Master star 4

Nov 12, 2012

I used to feel similarly about it, but my opinion of it has grown in recent years.

Sorry to continue off-topic.

Death_Jar_Jar and Jcuk like this.
  9. darklordoftech

Sep 30, 2012
    Another thing to consider is that Marvel has been very successful with the "ANH approach".

TheBBP likes this.
  10. Trebor Sabreon

Trebor Sabreon Former Manager star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 15, 2010
    Gosh, I could have written this, word-for-word, myself.

Immortiss likes this.
  11. darklordoftech

Sep 30, 2012
    Here's my advice to Abrams: Guardians of the Galaxy worked, Man of Steel didn't.

12. TheBBP

TheBBP Force Ghost star 6

Nov 6, 2012
    That is kind of random lol.

Either way, I liked Man of Steel.

Darth Chiznuk likes this.
  13. Darth PJ

Jul 31, 2013
    I saw Guardians of the Galaxy last night. Is it just me or was it totally derivative of Star Wars? I wasn't aware Darth Ruin and Asajj Ventress were in it. ;)

14. Satipo

Satipo Force Ghost star 7

Mar 29, 2014
    I can't wait to see it. Trailers have looked fantastic.

TheBBP likes this.
  15. TheBBP

Nov 6, 2012
    Same here. Everyone that I have talked to who has seen it has only good things to say about it. They even say that the WWE guy did his job well.

Satipo likes this.
  16. Darth PJ

Jul 31, 2013
    I have to say I was massively underwhelmed by it. Whilst it's certainly not a bad film, it's just yet another story featuring the usual Marvel ultimate weapon/power source plot device. It's strength, apart from the very good CGI/effects, is that it's quite funny and has a tongue firmly planted within it's cheek, but it's massively derivative and the dialogue/characterisation are pretty weak. I did however like Howard the Duck's appearance. :)

Abadacus likes this.
  17. ezekiel22x

ezekiel22x Chosen One star 5

Aug 9, 2002
    Never heard of Guardians until recently, but based on the trailers it kind of saddens me that mass audiences will immediately embrace it while shunning something like John Carter. Figures that the only Disney-related film I ever really dug flopped hard. Hopefully Abrams can deliver Disney film number two that I really dig, as surely it will be flop proof.

Andy Wylde, FRAGWAGON and Abadacus like this.
  18. Pliolite

Pliolite Jedi Master star 3

May 3, 2014

Even if VII is the worst movie of all-time it will still break the $700 million barrier without even trying. :D

19. Darth PJ

Jul 31, 2013
    I actually thought John Carter was a better movie. I think what GOTG has got going for it is that it's 'self aware'. It doesn't take itself too seriously and you can laugh at it/with it... but in cinematic terms (IMHO of course) it's no better than John Carter and absolutely no better than any SW movie to date.

20. darklordoftech

Sep 30, 2012
    The first Guardians comic was released in 1969.

My point was that being "dark" is not the answer.

JediStarMoonstruck and TheBBP like this.
  21. A Chorus of Disapproval

A Chorus of Disapproval Head Admin & TV Screaming Service star 10 Staff Member Administrator

Aug 19, 2003
    Stop disrupting Darth PJ while he expresses yet more of his contrary opinions against general consensus.
    #Elite

my kind of scum likes this.
  22. TheBBP

Nov 6, 2012

TOTALLY agree with you on that.

Satipo and darklordoftech like this.
  23. Darth PJ

Jul 31, 2013
    So did Lucas pinch the idea of Sith Lords etc. from Guardians of the Galaxy then?
    Baa... Baa... To paraphrase the late, great Bill Hicks... "Go back to bed America. Let popular opinion do the thinking for you".

24. mratm23

mratm23 Jedi Knight star 3

May 13, 2014
    Was the Original Trilogy not a sacred legacy before Episode I came out? Episode I was able to use ANH as a template.

Satipo likes this.
  25. Tatooine Twilight Twins

Tatooine Twilight Twins Jedi Grand Master star 4

May 1, 2014
    Doesn't matter. The movie version of GotG is nothing like the original concept in 1969. Nor is it much like the second variation that appeared in the comic books, or the third or possibly even the fourth. It wasn't until around the 1990s that you saw a version of the Guardians of the Galaxy that matched what you get in the film. That later version introduced characters that are now used in the film and added already established character to the group. The tone of the series overall was altered and the timeline was adjusted too. So that 90s version in the comics had plenty of time to be influenced by the SW franchise. In fact the Peter Quill character that had been created decades earlier and added to the new Guardians comic as leader did not have the type of funny bad boy with a heart of gold personality that apparently the film version has. His personality is a blatant ripoff of Han Solo, I don't think the filmmakers have even argued against that. The same goes for the lead in Firefly/Serenity. These current tentpole filmmakers were almost all influenced by Star Wars and apparently Han Solo was their favorite character. So yes there is apparently high derivative nature to the Guardians of the Galaxy movie based upon what I know. Not too much originality in its premise.

I somewhat get the bashing going on of anything that is "dark" in tone in big budget movies these days, but seriously is what GotG offer much better? The whole self-aware/be-in-on-the-joke/wink-at-the-camera-and-make-sure-you-don't-seem-to-be-taking-anything-too-seriously is JUST as annoying and even more played out. There is a difference between humorous moments that appear to come organically within the plot and forced attempts at levity through countless, silly jokes.

Andy Wylde, Darth PJ and Qui-Riv-Brid like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.