main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

ST JJ Abrams to direct Episode VII

Discussion in 'Sequel Trilogy' started by Kuestmaster, Jan 24, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Leoluca Randisi

Leoluca Randisi Jedi Grand Master star 6

Jun 24, 2014
    I wholeheartedly agree with you :cool:

Jedi Merkurian likes this.
  2. The Hellhammer

The Hellhammer Manager Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 4, 2012
    Like millions of tons of potentially radioactive exploded space station debris.

3. Darth PJ

Darth PJ Force Ghost star 6

Jul 31, 2013
    That new JJ image is boring. Come on man, show us (tease us) with something new...

4. Ganger

Ganger Jedi Grand Master star 4

Dec 9, 1999
    Ok but since we have nothing else major going on, let's deconstruct this for a minute.

The lighting design is very reminiscent of the interior of the Death Star. Not a Star Destroyer, or any other imperial vessel but that of our favorite non moon space station. I don't remember if that particular design was present at all in the prequels, but I'm almost positive it's exclusive to the first Death Star. If I'm wrong, which I could totally be since I'm talking from memory, please correct me.

Maybe it's Abram's way of telling us that the Empire is still around in Episode VII.

"Evidence" below:
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

5. Satipo

Satipo Force Ghost star 7

Mar 29, 2014
    Maybe there is an Imperial faction known as the Red Watch...

Or then again, no.

Jedirush2112 likes this.
  6. fishtailsam

fishtailsam Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jul 30, 2003
    Death Watch?

Jedirush2112 likes this.
  7. I Are The Internets

I Are The Internets Shelf of Shame Host star 9 VIP - Game Host

Nov 20, 2012
  8. darth-sinister

darth-sinister Manager Emeritus star 10 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 28, 2001
    Abrams is talking about the new watch. The significant thing to take away is the set background.

9. Import_Jedi

Import_Jedi Force Ghost star 6

Aug 20, 2001

This might've been the set that made Kevin Smith cry like a little ***** with joy when he visited Pinewood a few months ago

10. TheBBP

TheBBP Force Ghost star 6

Nov 6, 2012
    They way that he has done this sort of stuff leaves you with the feeling that he relishes the act of giving us those tiny teases knowing that we make a big deal out of them. Do you think that it is a powerful feeling that he could release an image of Luke, Han and Leia in costume and he would be the most talked about thing in the world for days?

Pro Scoundrel and Satipo like this.
  11. my kind of scum

my kind of scum Force Ghost star 4

Mar 4, 2002
    I really hope we don't see another death star. It wouldn't make me walk out or anything, but that would be a nostalgia-nod too far for me, personally.

Andy Wylde likes this.
  12. I know

I know Jedi Knight star 3

May 4, 2014
    Imagine in the first frame of VII if the camera pans down from the title crawl to show a Death Star parked somewhere in deep space which is suddenly obliterated by an unknown weapon from off screen :)

13. KitsterAKABobaFett

KitsterAKABobaFett Jedi Grand Master star 3

May 31, 2007
    Just a thought, and I don't necessarily want to see them return to this well again, but I could see Death Stars being like nuclear weapons in our world. Hard to actually build, but every now and then some factions get the resources to do so, or get close. If there really is a "Cold War" in the ST, maybe it's all over a "Death Star race" by various groups across the galaxy.

14. hippie1kenobi

hippie1kenobi Force Ghost star 4

Apr 28, 2002
    I just noticed the other day that this same lighting was used in TCW; I believe it was in one of the Rebublic ships. It's not specific to just the Death Star.

15. TheBBP

TheBBP Force Ghost star 6

Nov 6, 2012
    It's consistent with an Imperial style of architecture.

16. BigAl6ft6

BigAl6ft6 Chosen One star 8

Nov 12, 2012

To be fair, Smith admits that he cries a lot at pretty much anything. Says it's because of all the weed he smokes.

Import_Jedi likes this.
  17. I Are The Internets

Nov 20, 2012
    No it's because Cop Out and Red State were awful movies.

18. Jedirush2112

Jedirush2112 Jedi Master star 4

Apr 10, 2013
    Knights of the Old Bulova!

19. hocash

hocash Jedi Youngling

Aug 26, 2014
    We've already seen the Death Star in 2 movies. I personally don't want to see another iteration in the ST. Unless you've got a fleet of them, what's the point?

20. darth-sinister

darth-sinister Manager Emeritus star 10 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 28, 2001

In TCW, we see corridors like this on certain ships, like the Republic Cruisers. Note that in the films, we never saw all of the interior of the Star Destroyers. In fact, we see mostly the bridge area of the Executor which was replicated for the Republic Cruiser in ROTS. The only area we see is Vader's quarters in TESB and weapons area in ROTS, during the last third of the first act. So it wouldn't be surprising if we don't see that aboard any Star Destroyer, or some other base.

21. I Are The Internets

Nov 20, 2012
    How about a Death Asteroid?

22. A Chorus of Disapproval

A Chorus of Disapproval Head Admin & TV Screaming Service star 10 Staff Member Administrator

Aug 19, 2003
    The mechanical hand JJ posted a pic of is actually on poor Bob and the familiar lighting reflected in the latest pic is actually inside of Bob's house. Bob's 45 seconds of screentime has, sadly, been gutted from the script. All of your JJ pics are instantly irrelevant.

darth-sinister likes this.
  23. mratm23

mratm23 Jedi Knight star 3

May 13, 2014
    Didn't he say it was when he stepped into the Falcon?

24. I Are The Internets

Nov 20, 2012
    I'm wondering if Max von Sydow is playing Bob?

25. BigAl6ft6

BigAl6ft6 Chosen One star 8

Nov 12, 2012
    *coughcrosspostfromadifferentthreadaboutAbrams*

There has been some saying that all of JJ Abrams' particular style should be missing from Episode 7. I would be disappointed if Episode 7 was completely scrubbed free of any and all of J.J. Abrams stylistic flourishes. He does a good job of aping another style (Super 8) which felt like what it wanted to be, an Amblin 80s Spielberg produced movie that happened to be directed by JJ Abrams. His style, which was pushed to extremes in Star Trek and MI:3 (but those series don't really have a defined style), was toned down. But it still felt and looked like a JJ Abrams movie, just not as much. I would hope that Episode 7 is that. It looks and feels like a Star Wars movie but you'll see JJ Abrams stylistic flourishes not overtake the film but still be present (ala Super 8).

Short version: Yes, there will be lens flares. and there goddamned should be.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.