main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

ST JJ Abrams to direct Episode VII

Discussion in 'Sequel Trilogy' started by Kuestmaster, Jan 24, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Tugann_An_Solas

Tugann_An_Solas Jedi Padawan star 1

Jul 24, 2014
    The Force Awakens will be JJ's masterpiece, you don;t get handed the opportunity to direct star wars and mess it up.

JJ will realize this, he need to deliver!

2. ThreeDeathstickProblem

ThreeDeathstickProblem Force Ghost star 5

Sep 25, 2014
    I knew Nolan was a fan of Star Wars, but not that big of a fan. [face_laugh]

starocean90 likes this.
  3. spacename_the_name

spacename_the_name Jedi Master star 3

Feb 5, 2005
    I think it'll be good, but I'm getting the feeling that a lot of Star Wars purists will cry that it doesn't have the Star Wars feel.

But who knows.

4. dr strangelove

dr strangelove Jedi Knight star 2

Apr 28, 2014
    I'm a big fan of Nolan...but I don't think he'd be right for Star Wars, at all.

5. Danfromumbrella

Danfromumbrella Jedi Grand Master star 4

May 20, 2014
    Capturing the feel is the last thing I'm worried about. I think JJ Abram's is one of the few directors out there that has the Spielberg/Lucas vibe. Watching Super 8 I remembered some of those wonders of the force feelings. I'm most concerned with them building a story worth being told. Either way, I'm pretty dang excited.

6. spacename_the_name

spacename_the_name Jedi Master star 3

Feb 5, 2005

We already saw what he did with Into Darkness. It was a retelling. And let's be honest,it's going to be pretty hard not to use a storyline from the EU. But thankfully, a very small subset of people who will go see the movie will have read the EU.

7. D'an

D'an Jedi Master star 4

Apr 21, 2014
    Exactly. The word "disciple" comes to mind, and that's not an exaggeration. Look up his influences. Disney got their man. Speaking of "colossal balls," didn't JJ initially turn down the job?

8. Leoluca Randisi

Leoluca Randisi Jedi Grand Master star 6

Jun 24, 2014
    regardless of the politics of how JJ took on the Job of Directing TFA, weather he wanted to direct the film or not is irrelevant, because Abrams Is Directing The Force Awakens.

9. Krueger

Krueger Chosen One star 5

Aug 9, 2004
    Whenever I see TFA, I firstly see TNA.

10. Leoluca Randisi

Leoluca Randisi Jedi Grand Master star 6

Jun 24, 2014
    I prefer WWF Wrestling!!!!!!!!!!!:cool:

11. BigAl6ft6

BigAl6ft6 Chosen One star 8

Nov 12, 2012
    Thing that will happen in this movie: crosstalk characters talking over each other in a heated argument. generally, the chatter ends with a loud declarative statement from someone to stop it. Happens in every Abrams movie. Probably gonna happen here.

Empress Shatterpoint likes this.
  12. EviL_eLF

EviL_eLF Force Ghost star 5

Mar 16, 2003
    I still miss WCW... that was wrestling at it's finest. WWE sucks.

13. ThreeDeathstickProblem

ThreeDeathstickProblem Force Ghost star 5

Sep 25, 2014
    I'M SKYWALKERUS.

Oops wrong movie...

Krueger likes this.
  14. hachijedi

hachijedi Jedi Grand Master star 4

Feb 22, 2012
    Based on the teaser, I want JJ for the whole trilogy. I want this style all the way through. Again I like Rian, I really do but JJ tapped into something here.

Jedirush2112 likes this.
  15. Artoo-Dion

Artoo-Dion Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 9, 2009
    Ah, but maybe Rian will in two years as well?

Jedirush2112 likes this.
  16. Arch Stanton

Arch Stanton Jedi Knight star 1

Apr 15, 2014
    I do think it's odd that they've gone with a different director for VIII (can't remember if he's doing IX too).

17. Jedirush2112

Jedirush2112 Jedi Master star 4

Apr 10, 2013
    I think Rian was tapped for both XIII & IX. I do like what I've seen from JJ so far though.

18. ray243

ray243 Jedi Grand Master star 3

May 26, 2006
    No, unless you want the generic blockbuster look.

19. Darth PJ

Darth PJ Force Ghost star 6

Jul 31, 2013
    I think JJ is a relatively safe pair of hands for a new SW film... I don't think for a second that he's going to irrevocably break the franchise... but it will take a much better director (IMHO) to make a SW film that can be regarded as 'great' film in its own right.

20. SgtTimBob

SgtTimBob Manager Emeritus star 4 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 5, 2014
    JJ is the safe, reliable choice to kick start a new trilogy. He's got experience at dealing with large scale productions, he's a fan who saw the original as a child, he understands the importance of getting it just right. Rian is the kind of guy you bring in to take it to the next level and take take some bold stylistic chances, as well as get more personal with the material (a'la Kersh in TESB).

Artoo-Dion likes this.
  21. Master_Lok

Master_Lok Force Ghost star 6

Dec 18, 2012
    I am not much of a J.J. Abrams fan, but he sold me with that teaser. And the more I watch it the more I like some of the new ideas/characters.

22. LordSilvertouch

LordSilvertouch Jedi Master star 4

Apr 19, 2003
    Still clinging to the hope that JJ returns for IX....

23. hachijedi

hachijedi Jedi Grand Master star 4

Feb 22, 2012

At the very least if they don't change their minds and have him come back for VIII then he should do IX.

24. drunkpenguin

drunkpenguin Jedi Youngling

Nov 30, 2014
    Greetings! I just signed up after seeing the new trailer on the news. Reading these forums a bit it seems like Im in the minority thinking this movie is gonna suck. Sure the special effects look good but they havnt had a good sw story since the 1980s! And im sorry but jj abrams is awful. Star trek broke my heart. I feel like the excitement now is similiar to the built up of episode 1. If the creator himself could not keep it going I sure dont see little abrams pulling it off. Movies like his and michael bay have ruined the action sci fi cinema for ever. Flame away all you want but its gonna be a let down, all be it a very profitable one.

25. LordSilvertouch

LordSilvertouch Jedi Master star 4

Apr 19, 2003

Yeah, fair enough. JJ's Star Trek is one of my favourite films, but it's not for everyone. Certainly he has a very specific style, so if you don't like it, it would be grating to see that applied to Star Wars. I would argue that the sense of character, situation and urgency in the VII trailer give in a character which voids comparisons with the prequels, but I understand that's a sensitive topic. I don't share your sentiment, but I totally get it.

How come you registered as a one-off account just to invite people to "flame away"?

Njfritz likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.