main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

ST JJ Abrams to direct Episode VII

Discussion in 'Sequel Trilogy' started by Kuestmaster, Jan 24, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Grand Master Galen Marek

Grand Master Galen Marek Jedi Knight star 4

Jun 22, 2014
    Well it appears he wont be directing episodes 8 & 9 no more good ideas? Shame.

2. drunkpenguin

drunkpenguin Jedi Youngling

Nov 30, 2014
    Cause they will anyways. Like many SW was a huge influence on me as a kid. Its always in my heart and I just get bummed out everytime they jack with it. I really wish they could leave it as was and write some new stuff. Old school hollywood is out of ideas and jj is part of the group.

3. Krueger

Krueger Chosen One star 5

Aug 9, 2004
    lol. That's the second one you've given me today. Keep 'em coming.

4. mratm23

mratm23 Jedi Knight star 3

May 13, 2014

He won't do VIII. He could barely stand to be away from his family for the VII production and such.

5. darth-sinister

darth-sinister Manager Emeritus star 10 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 28, 2001

No, more like he wants to be able to spend time with his family. One of his issues was that he didn't want to film in London for several months and tried to have the studio work done in the US, but was denied. So he opted for one film.

Dewback and Lord D'arg like this.
  6. starocean90

starocean90 Chosen One star 8

Feb 19, 2014
    This summer, a group of powerful, passionate filmmakers, including Christopher Nolan, Steven Spielberg and Martin Scorsese, rallied like-minded directors who didn't want to see celluloid die on their watch. It was a critical time: Kodak, the last surviving purveyor of motion-picture film, was deciding whether to continue manufacturing the format.
    He, Abrams, Judd Apatow, Bennett Miller and Edgar Wright were among those who made calls to Kodak and studio production heads to seek a sustainable future for film. "It's not just an idea that would be nice to keep going," says Abrams. "It's an aesthetically and materially important thing." (His upcoming Star Wars: Episode VII — The Force Awakens was shot on film.) Without dismissing digital outright, film "is more robust, has dimension and weight to it," says Miller. Nolan favors film's "unmatched resolution" and its ability to "reproduce color the way the eye sees it."
    Abrams: “I wanted to use film [on Star Wars] because there was going to be so much work done in digital, I wanted the standard to be
    film, so that everything had to match that. You just know when you’re looking at something shot on film, there’s a reality to it — you just can’t deny it.”

http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/news/film-fighters-all-one-frame-758431

7. Qui-Riv-Brid

Qui-Riv-Brid Force Ghost star 5

Apr 18, 2013
    Actually it's extremely easy to deny. He may know when something is shot on film but probably 99.999% of people don't.

I really would like to ask him if he loves film so much then why is it as you can see on the enhanced commentary for Star Trek ID that the images he captures on film are totally regraded to look often almost totally unlike what he shot on film.

Nolan is strange too "reproduce color the way the eye sees it."

Except that what he shoots isn't what the eye or the camera sees either. They aren't just fiddling around with red, blue, green etc like when film was edited in analog.

Andy Wylde likes this.
  8. Lord D'arg

Lord D'arg Jedi Master star 3

Nov 29, 2013

I love when he says "this would look really cool... if there was a lens flare".

9. starocean90

starocean90 Chosen One star 8

Feb 19, 2014
  10. jedijax

jedijax Force Ghost star 6

May 2, 2013
    Something very odd and off about Abrams' comments. He seemed much more nervous than excited, despite what he said about the reverse.

11. TheBBP

TheBBP Force Ghost star 6

Nov 6, 2012
    "It is an intense and terrifying prospect." I bet that he means every word of that lol.

Pro Scoundrel likes this.
  12. maychild

maychild Jedi Knight star 3

Jan 16, 2013
    Funny how Lucas is pilloried for taking off a decade and a half between the OT and the PT to raise his children (being as filming the OT was one of the things that cost him his marriage, and he didn't want to make that mistake with his kids), and accused of "just sitting around on his a**," while JJ is exalted.

Lucas devoted a decade of his life and a great deal of his own money to make the PT, and people either ignore it or act like he "just threw the PT together over a few weekends." Meanwhile, St. Peter "The Great" Jackson is hailed as a genius, et al for "working so hard and so long on LOTR, to the exclusion of all else."

But it's not surprising, given that we've already seen how CGI is evil when Lucas uses it, but other filmmakers can use it with impunity and not only receive no criticism, but get praised to the skies for it. The same people who falsely claimed that the PT was "all CGI" practically gave themselves hernias to heap praise on "Avatar." And mere months after falsely claiming that ROTS was all CGI/greenscreen, they couldn't praise St. Peter "The Great" Jackson's "King Kong," which actually was all CGI/greenscreen, highly enough.

FRAGWAGON, darkmarc, Darth PJ and 7 others like this.
  13. darth-sinister

darth-sinister Manager Emeritus star 10 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 28, 2001
    There's a bit of a difference. Lucas did take time off, but when he made the PT, he did so during the summer months and brought his children with him. That way they were able to spend time together, while he worked on the film. It took him four months to make the film and then returned home when production wrapped. For Abrams though, this is a different matter. Filming ran longer and he was more hands on involved in pre-production which is why he was gone for a lot longer a period of time. There's also the fact that Lucas put three years between each film which gave him plenty of time to make one film at a time. That's not going to happen here as filming took place last year and the film is slated to come out at the end of this year and the next film is supposed to come out in 2017. The use of more practical sets and location shooting is a factor.

In Jackson's case, though, he's been receiving a lot of heat for using more CGI and for bloating up one film by making it three. So even he's being turned on by the fan base.

Darth PJ and jabberwalkie like this.
  14. TheBBP

TheBBP Force Ghost star 6

Nov 6, 2012
    I honestly think that The Hobbit was better served "bloated" than what could be done with one film.

Pro Scoundrel and Toonimator like this.
  15. Danfromumbrella

Danfromumbrella Jedi Grand Master star 4

May 20, 2014
    I wouldn't look too much into his comments. Everyone involved has said how special this film has been during the making of it but at the same time Abram's knows people are expecting something that will make the old fans proud. It's a lot of pressure to please the old audience while making sure the new film stands the test of time.

Star Trek he wasn't a huge fan of, Star Wars he was....so it's more important to him for it to succeed, which brings on more worries.

16. Master_Lok

Master_Lok Force Ghost star 6

Dec 18, 2012

I had no issues with Lucas taking time off for his family, props to him. I did have issues with the over-reliance on C.G.I. amongst other things. The less said about Peter Jackson, the better (I want to utterly spank him and his writing/editing/etc. teams for making such a mess of the Hobbit)

Anyway, back on subject here: I applaud J.J. for not only wanting to spend time with his family, but being a very front and center Hollywood person in bringing the practical aspects of special effects film-making back to the movies. That he also wants to save 35mm film is a good thing too.

Well, if J.J. can make me enjoy his Star Wars, hopefully Rian Johnson will too.

17. jabberwalkie

jabberwalkie Jedi Master star 4

Dec 2, 2014
    The jury won't render its verdict on TFA until the movie is seen and I think it is too early to give JJ praise on a product we haven't even seen yet. I am excited for more Star Wars though, and that is thanks to Disney IIRC through their acquisition of Lucasfilm.

I remember reading that Edgar Wright was very, very interested in helming a Star Wars film, so maybe he will get his chance. He has done a pretty good job with the movies he has done in the past IMO.

18. LUH-3417

LUH-3417 Jedi Master star 4

May 11, 2001

i didnt say it was evil to use cgi, but i simply didnt even bother watching them. keep the practically all animated adventures of these crapfests and ill just choose not to pay money to them. you can tell when something is going to be an all animated cgi crapfest because the ads are like drooling and blowing up with praise and flash and sizzle but will you really remember that movie a week later?

19. maychild

Jan 16, 2013
    You're joking, right? TFA is already being praised to the skies and people have seen, what, 75 seconds of it. It's already being hailed as "saving SW" from the so-called "ignominy of the prequels." It's already being exalted for "bringing practical effects back to SW," never mind that a) practical effects never left SW; and b) the CGI in the trailer. JJ Abrams is being hailed as a genius and the "savior" of SW.

Never mind the use of practical sets and location shooting in the prequels. But we're supposed to ignore that.

Jackson is being absolved of all wrongdoing on "The Hobbit," and instead it's being blamed on Lucas and his evil influence. His "horrible prequels" are the reason Jackson decided to bloat up the "Hobbit" book into a trilogy. His "horrible prequels" are the reason Jackson used so much CGI. Although of course he didn't use as much CGI as the "horrible prequels."

Andy Wylde likes this.
  20. jabberwalkie

Dec 2, 2014
    You know I am talking about the movie as a whole right? A trailer can be misleading to the quality of the story in the movie. The trailer for Prometheus comes to mind.

21. maychild

Jan 16, 2013
    Yes, I know you're talking about the movie as a whole. So are the people who are practically calling for JJ Abrams to be elevated to sainthood and calling TFA a masterpiece and how it's already shown it's better than the prequels because the ball droid in the trailer is a practical effect.

Andy Wylde likes this.
  22. jabberwalkie

Dec 2, 2014
    I am a little confused as to why bringing up the amount of CGI and/or practical effects usage has anything to do with what I said. I said essentially that it is too early to pass judgement on a product we have not even seen yet.

BTW, every time I see that ball droid I think "Man I really, really want to see them kick that soccer ball droid."

Off topic, I am going to laugh SOOOOOO hard if JJ some how works in the Rimbaldi device from Alias or Red Matter from Star Trek (2009).

Darth PJ likes this.
  23. City Councilman Binks

City Councilman Binks Jedi Master star 4

May 7, 2014
    Did I just read that?

[​IMG]

Did someone just post this online?

[​IMG]

24. Alien Vanguard

Alien Vanguard Jedi Master star 3

Jan 1, 2015
    While i agree that one should be careful with praising TFA based on a short teaser, I have to say that it gave me that good ol' Star Wars vibe. Now, it may be mediocre but surely, it can't be any worse than the PT.

25. maychild

Jan 16, 2013
    Which doesn't stop people, especially PT-haters and their representatives in the media, from doing it.

But it's a practical effect! That proves TFA is going to be better than the "all CGI" prequels!

I'm fairly sure he'll be hailed as a genius no matter what he does...or doesn't do.

See what I mean?

Andy Wylde and my kind of scum like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.