main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

ST JJ Abrams to direct Episode VII

Discussion in 'Sequel Trilogy' started by Kuestmaster, Jan 24, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Darth PJ

Darth PJ Force Ghost star 6

Jul 31, 2013
    The challenge is that to form an opinion on how good/bad we expect the ST to be, or JJ's involvement to be, we have to have a frame of reference I.e. the previous 6 movies. The shame is that those that dislike TPM, AOTC and ROTS tend to make more of a distinction between the OT and PT... which I understand... and those, like me I suppose, see them as 6 movies - some I prefer more than others, but broadly 6 movies that inhabit the same space (in terms of subject, vision and overall technical application). And what is clear is that those who perceive the 6 movies in mostly positive terms, have fundamental differences in what constitutes 'good' and 'bad' SW than those who dislike the prequels. Never the twain... This is something that won't get fixed by the ST or JJ, and I expect separation to increase, because we all read different things into SW. It's a shame... but inevitable.

2. TheBBP

TheBBP Force Ghost star 6

Nov 6, 2012
    I think that JJ will be great for the franchise and so far we are definitely seeing an OT flavor (which makes sense being that this is a sequel to the OT), but I think that it is silly to consider that it is at a full disregard for the PT.

EviL_eLF likes this.
  3. SimitarLikeTusk

SimitarLikeTusk Jedi Knight star 3

Mar 10, 2014
    I think those who enjoy all 6 movies equally will never find a Star Wars movie bad.
    Not going to dare touch juvenile lens flare discussions with a 24 foot pole, but why on earth have some categorised "shaky cam" as a directors trademark of JJs? Really is not..
    Regardless, nor do I think handheld camera work is a distinct mark or modern, post 1984 filmmaking or something that would be out of place in Star Wars, or something that has never been in a Star Wars movie.

4. Danfromumbrella

Danfromumbrella Jedi Grand Master star 4

May 20, 2014
    Nope, directed at Ray. He says people are being antagonistic about the prequels yet he constantly bashes Abram's. The thing is he can bash Abram's all he wants but we can also say if we think Abram's is doing something better. That's what message boards or for, discussion, opinions, debate. What's the point of something like this if everyone has to keep their opinions to themselves.

5. Qui-Riv-Brid

Qui-Riv-Brid Force Ghost star 5

Apr 18, 2013
    Exactly. I see the teaser as being both OT and PT at the same time but for those not disposed to the PT then only see OT it seems.

When they see the movies though I wonder how long they will be able to keep that going. It's just not going to be movies from the 80's.

6. Darth PJ

Jul 31, 2013
    I don't think either position is necessarily right or wrong (only when it becomes vitriolic), but I think we have to accept that we all like SW movies for different reasons. And, for example, hating TPM for its digital effects is as valid as hating on the OT for its visual effects.

7. Danfromumbrella

May 20, 2014
    I hate that people who mainly like the OT are depicted as the weird ones here. I know personally I'm not expecting it to be like the 80's even though Abram's has a throwback vibe, and Super 8 felt very 80's to me personally. That's not what I'm looking for... I'm looking for the reasons why I loved the original series and what I think George Lucas missed the mark on what to do with the PT in terms of what made those originals so special. It's not that I'm seeing X-Wings that makes me think OT, it's just the vibes it gives off. I can't make a full assessment till it comes out though.

This isn't a rare sentiment.

Again, this is my opinion so no sense arguing over it.

8. EHT

EHT Manager Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 13, 2007
    OK, so can we move along now and stay on topic? It's fine to have differing opinions, but being jerks to each other is not fine. No baiting or flaming. As noted earlier...

Pro Scoundrel likes this.
  9. Danfromumbrella

May 20, 2014
    I don't know who's being jerks. This thread is about JJ abram's right? We've all been talking about him! The problem is there isn't much to talk about regarding him but how we think he's gonna handle the first movie and by using reference points like another poster said. Jerk comments don't need to happen but I don't see the problem with the only way we can even have a discussion about Abram's. :D

10. City Councilman Binks

City Councilman Binks Jedi Master star 4

May 7, 2014
    let's all be less like this guy:

[​IMG]

TheBBP and Krueger like this.
  11. Danfromumbrella

May 20, 2014
    He looks like a pinecone if anything.

Bennihana and Jcuk like this.
  12. EHT

EHT Manager Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 13, 2007
    People are making unnecessarily rude comments to each other and continuing to have PT vs. OT battles. Bashing and PT vs. OT battles are not allowed, and neither are comments that are basically baiting and flaming. So yes, the topic is JJ Abrams, but there are many ways to discuss him without resorting to those kinds of posts.

13. Krueger

Krueger Chosen One star 5

Aug 9, 2004
  14. ThreeDeathstickProblem

ThreeDeathstickProblem Force Ghost star 5

Sep 25, 2014
    J.J. Abrams? More like Jar Jar Lamebrams!

I'm kidding I like J.J.

Bennihana likes this.
  15. Qui-Riv-Brid

Qui-Riv-Brid Force Ghost star 5

Apr 18, 2013
    My point is that he didn't miss the mark at all. He was going for a different mark in the first place and did one of the most amazing things of all in that he recreated his universe and made that Star Wars.

Going to JJ and Trek for example.

The Motion Picture is just as much Trek as Wrath of Khan is and in terms of GR's vision as he came to see the series much more so. JJ's Trek is very much along along the lines of aspects of the movie Treks but taking element of the series and the movies. When JJ tried to got too close to retreading too much in STID then a segment of the fans who were very pleased with the first one weren't so much with the second one.

So even if the idea is to go back to the OT mark then you have to be careful. Will that likely matter at the box office? Probably not anymore than it did for the prequels. Will it for the fans? Even more so I think because now they know that mark is what is being aimed for it makes it that much harder to hit dead center.

16. Danfromumbrella

May 20, 2014
    To me he missed the mark.

People wonder why we all keep arguing. No one is listening. You think he didn't miss the mark, that's fine but to me he did. Lol

Bennihana and Force Smuggler like this.
  17. ray243

ray243 Jedi Grand Master star 3

May 26, 2006

The point people are making here is it is not useful to bring up Lucas perceived failure in a thread about Abrams. We are saying it is possible to make an argument about Abrams as a good choice or a good director without comparing him to Lucas. Just because he is better than Lucas in your opinion doesn't necessary mean he is a good director. The question is do you want to defend Abrams more as a director, or do you want to bash Lucas more.

If it is the latter, there is another place to discuss this.

Darth PJ likes this.
  18. Darth PJ

Jul 31, 2013
    I think that's the essence of it ray243 - and whilst I think JJ is probably the least offensive of the current crop of Hollywood, by the numbers directors, he still is a product of his generation... and in terms of filmmaking, he has shown he has no significance other than making commercial movies. I hope TFA changes that, but I doubt it. I think JJ was chosen because he wasn't a risk rather than for being a pioneer or unique auteur.

FRAGWAGON likes this.
  19. Victorian Time Traveler

Victorian Time Traveler Jedi Master star 3

Nov 20, 2012
    Bingo

20. FRAGWAGON

FRAGWAGON Jedi Master star 4

Nov 3, 2012
    I just want to see something new for VII. Judging by the trailer, there is much to be excited about.

Star Wars, wherever it travels on the timeline, needs to have it's foot on the gas pedal, rocketing forward. I think Abrams' instinct is nostalgic, BUT he's got the greatest backup band in the world to offset his banalities.

Chiang, McCaig, Burtt, Muren, Williams carry the day.

Immortiss likes this.
  21. Jcuk

Jcuk Jedi Grand Master star 5

Mar 16, 2013
    "He threw a pinecone?!" Doesn't that warrant the death sentence in some US states? Lol ;)

22. Bennihana

Bennihana Jedi Knight star 3

Jan 22, 2014
    One of the things I REALLY can't wait to hear are the new sounds Ben Burtt comes up with for this movie. Abrams' Star Trek had amazing sound design thanks to him.

23. star wars geek

star wars geek Jedi Knight star 3

Oct 20, 2014
    That's interesting because I saw the trailer and thought it had nothing new. Well, aside from a rolling ball droid. That's not to say TFA won't be good/decent but I can't see any newness in the trailer. It ticked all the boxes in terms of old stuff - sandy planet like Tatooine, Stormtroopers, Falcon, Sith (?) with lightsaber. There was nothing new in terms of introducing/teasing the audience with some game changing moment or concept.

JJ Abrams' challenge is to mix the old stuff with the new. My gut feeling is due to the vast cost of films like Star Wars, Disney won't want to risk alienating the audience with anything too radical. This is most likely why JJ 'franchise director' Abrams was hired. He won't be too radical (although Luke killing Han - if genuine - sounds pretty radical)! :D

FRAGWAGON and Darth PJ like this.
  24. Danfromumbrella

May 20, 2014
    I don't wAnt radical change that leads to big mess ups. I just want JJ to give us a legitimately good Star Wars movie.
    That's what matters

25. ThreeDeathstickProblem

ThreeDeathstickProblem Force Ghost star 5

Sep 25, 2014
    Not sure how Abrams got the playing it safe rep. The first thing he did with Star Trek (spoilers) was murder the main character's dad in the opening act and then implode the other main character's entire homeworld. He also made the two sides of an iconic TV/film friendship to be initially very antagonistic toward each other.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.