main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

ST JJ Abrams to direct Episode VII

Discussion in 'Sequel Trilogy' started by Kuestmaster, Jan 24, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Danfromumbrella

Danfromumbrella Jedi Grand Master star 4

May 20, 2014
    ^ Exactly Stoneymonster

That's why it annoys the crap out of me when people throw the, Abrams is being unoriginal without even seeing the movie.

For the two reasons we already established.

1. Ships stay in service a long time.
    2. It takes place after the OT so for continuity it makes sense. ( also there will still be new ships too )

2. Force Smuggler

Force Smuggler Force Ghost star 7

Sep 2, 2012
    They aren't going to spoil all of the new designs 10 months out. They will leave us some new surprises for the movie.

3. Leoluca Randisi

Leoluca Randisi Jedi Grand Master star 6

Jun 24, 2014
    As long as there are Star Wars Fans who pass on there love of Star Wars to new generations Star Wars will Live Forever. My 7 year old Nephew Who lives with me Loves Star Wars because I turned him onto it and Hopefully someday he will have kids and turn them on to Star Wars as well !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!:D

Bennihana and DaddlerTheDalek like this.
  4. DARTH_BELO

DARTH_BELO Force Ghost star 5

Nov 25, 2003
    Plus I'd wager that some more new ships/characters/locations will be shown in the new trailer.

Whenever that drops.

5. Leoluca Randisi

Leoluca Randisi Jedi Grand Master star 6

Jun 24, 2014
    I cant wait for the new trailer Hopefully at calibration in April ?

DaddlerTheDalek likes this.
  6. Qui-Riv-Brid

Qui-Riv-Brid Force Ghost star 5

Apr 18, 2013
    That is going to be part of the in-story reason. How exactly that works I don't know as wars tend to push technology along through need to get one up on the other side even in a cold war.

This is far bigger than JJ so they did all sorts of design of next generation X-wings and TIEs and the like but decided for whatever reason to go with the familiar.

I can't say that I am not a bit disappointed in this but you can imagine some of the reasons why which are related to selling toys. Going away from the familiar is always going to be hard for anyone not named George Lucas. I have little doubt if Lucas had done VII then we'd see new ships that are based on the essence of the design without actually being that design.

That said I expect there will be lots of new ships and depending on how many years are in-between VII and VIII then might move away from the nostalgia design after TFA and move forward.

7. Bobby Roberts

Bobby Roberts Jedi Grand Master star 4

Mar 24, 2014
    Sure, but it also introduces the idea that your conception of what and who those characters can be is now malleable. And once that hurdle is leapt over, it's not much of a step to assume that changing the way the story was told as well as changing the way the character looks is going to be a little easier as well.

We're talking about frogs and pots, basically. Once they decide that a classic character can get a new face, a new voice, and a new characterization, they've broken the seal. And once that seal is broken, one of the obstacles to rebooting is removed.

It's not A, therefore B, really. But A does ALLOW much more easily for the possiblity of B to be considered and approved 20 years down the road. It doesn't make it a foregone conclusion. But it sets a precedent that you can redo iconic characters and people will roll with it, and once that precedent is set...

You can make the argument they're setting the table for a potential reboot already. I don't know if I'd agree with it this early, but the argument can be made.

8. Danfromumbrella

May 20, 2014
    Cuz Lucas does no wrong. Right Qui-Riv-Brid ?

There will be new ships in the new movie so stop being ridiculous with the....Abrams is just going with the familiar. There's new ships and old, and like I said that makes the most sense in reality.

9. Force Smuggler

Force Smuggler Force Ghost star 7

Sep 2, 2012
    Why spoil the new ships and stuff 10 months early?

10. Darth PJ

Darth PJ Force Ghost star 6

Jul 31, 2013
    This isn't about 'real world' reasons why the rebels would still be using X-Wings etc. We can all cite pointless examples of classic cars and aircraft that are still used today. This is about the filmmakes relying on existing iconography rather than evolving the aesthetic and doing something different. I think this film is less about creating new iconography and more about being 'populist'. I think that's a shame for a new Star Wars film.

11. Stoneymonster

Stoneymonster Force Ghost star 4

May 8, 2002

I feel like a broken record, but I'll say it again: you don't know that.

PymParticles likes this.
  12. Darth PJ

Jul 31, 2013
    We do because we're knee deep in spoilers, concept art and trailer images. We've got superweapons and missions to turn off deflector shields in time. A Darth Vader wanabee and stormtroopers. Our spoiler-hounds have given us enough information to piece together the basic gist of TFA, and regardless of any merits it may have, it ain't gonna be that original by the sound of things. Some will bask in the notion that it's more of the same and some will be dissapoinment that it can't be bolder. That's life.

13. Danfromumbrella

May 20, 2014
    [​IMG][​IMG]DarthPJ
    EVOLVED Tie FIGHTER!!11111/1/
    Your opinion would be more valid if we didn't already know there's new ships that were made for the movie. So what are you whining about? You are complaining cuz they also have tie fighters and X-Wings? You realize a lot more people would complain that a movie taking place after the original movies has none of those in there. There even was an upgraded Tie-Fighter concept art, you know.....evolving the aesthetic.

vinsanity likes this.
  14. Darth PJ

Jul 31, 2013
    Most of what we've seen thus far are standard Tie fighter and X-Wing designs. Is that point lost on you? Is it beyond your comprehension that 'different' to some people means something conceptually different rather than a slightly different flavour of the same thing? Can you get your unquestioning little head around that?

Darth_Bertie and ray243 like this.
  15. Danfromumbrella

May 20, 2014
    Can you wrap your head around the fact that it literally makes no sense to make it completely different when it's continuing from the ST? You saw a limited amount of concept art. You aren't MSW. There has been new ships described to us by MSW and Lucas was always about rhyming anyways. Of course that's what we will see in the marketing of the dang movie. If they didn't show X-wings or Tie fighters in a movie taking place after Episode 6 people would be confused and wonder why they abandoned it.

In revenge of the sith ships started to look a lot closer to x-wings and tie fighters because continuity wise that makes sense. Same is happening here.

There's been ships revealed already that haven't been in the OT. So just because the rebels still use x-wings and imperials still use tie fighters the movie is unoriginal? What if they have other ships that are new too? Are you still going to try and find things to complain about?

vinsanity likes this.
  16. Bennihana

Bennihana Jedi Knight star 3

Jan 22, 2014
    We're going to get a ton of new vehicle designs in the new films. Why? Because the lego sets will sell like hotcakes.

17. Bobby Roberts

Mar 24, 2014
    I really do like that TIE design. IT seems like when it takes off, the wings are going to rotate 45 degrees downward and look like a big, mean, red-trimmed super-interceptor or something.

18. Danfromumbrella

May 20, 2014
  19. Qui-Riv-Brid

Qui-Riv-Brid Force Ghost star 5

Apr 18, 2013
    No because as the creator he has shown over and over than he doesn't let other expectations get in the way of telling his story. Other director's would not tka the enormous chances he did with the PT.

They would go with the safe and secure.

Sorry but I guess you didn't read my whole post.

This is far bigger than JJ so they did all sorts of design of next generation X-wings and TIEs and the like but decided for whatever reason to go with the familiar.

JJ is only around for one movie. He likely won't do another one again or not for a long time so his influence can only go so far.

Here is the reality of Star Wars in over 20 or so years:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Now 30+ years after the above:

[​IMG]

So that "reality" is based on the behind the scenes decisions. What they decide there then is part of said reality.

Darth_Bertie and ray243 like this.
  20. A Chorus of Disapproval

A Chorus of Disapproval Head Admin & TV Screaming Service star 10 Staff Member Administrator

Aug 19, 2003
    That would be absolutely glorious.

21. Danfromumbrella

May 20, 2014
    I believe this is the dumbest discussion I've been apart of but......

Again, for the 90000th time. Yes, they are iconic ships and yes that familiarity is one of the many reasons why they repeat the designs. However, it also just makes plain sense. Ships are used and barely changed throughout history. There's a sense of reality within Star Wars that grounds the fantasy and it's one of the things I liked about it. Seeing new ships is cool but I always loved how they slightly changed classic designs because it mirrors how things work in real life.

Bennihana and vinsanity like this.
  22. A Chorus of Disapproval

A Chorus of Disapproval Head Admin & TV Screaming Service star 10 Staff Member Administrator

Aug 19, 2003
    There was also a complete shift in the tone of the galaxy between the PT and the OT... a kinda reverse renaissance. According to rumors... next to nothing has changed in the state of the galaxy since ROTJ. They really don't have time or purpose to sit down with Xzibit and pimp out their rides.

23. SkywalkerOG

SkywalkerOG Jedi Knight star 3

Sep 19, 2014
    Can't make everybody happy but bringing back the classic designs with a mix of new ones seems like the right choice to ME. I feel most people would be disappointed if we watched TFA the supposed sequel to ROTJ and had none of the ships from the OT. I think it's going to be awesome to see the new characters and new technology evolve on screen rather then off screen. Just my take

24. Danfromumbrella

May 20, 2014
    Exactly A Chorus of Disapproval

I never even looked at it like that. They've been in battle and like you say it's not a time of development but instead a time of relentless battles that leaves a galaxy fatigued.

25. Bobby Roberts

Mar 24, 2014
    Heh. Goofed on my math. I meant 90 degrees down, not 45. But the Interceptor part probably got that across.

(I suck at math sometimes)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.