main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

ST JJ Abrams to direct Episode VII

Discussion in 'Sequel Trilogy' started by Kuestmaster, Jan 24, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. TheBBP

TheBBP Force Ghost star 6

Nov 6, 2012
    I am of the small camp of people who did not like Nolan's Batman.

entourage likes this.
  2. Tatooine Twilight Twins

Tatooine Twilight Twins Jedi Grand Master star 4

May 1, 2014
    You do realize TDKR has an 88% score on Rotten Tomatoes and made a boatload of money at the box office, right? Would have made perhaps an extra 100 million dollars more in the US alone if it wasn't for the midnight showing shooting at a theater in Colorado which deflated an overall very impressive box office take during those first two crucial weekends.

titansupes and Knightstalker137 like this.
  3. Tatooine Twilight Twins

Tatooine Twilight Twins Jedi Grand Master star 4

May 1, 2014

Tell me about it. It was as if the Avengers film that came out that same summer changed the criteria to such a point that fanboys think superhero films should now only be fun and lighthearted and colorful. As a result much of the fanboy public appear to have some revisionist history that TDKR was actually a critically despised bomb. These same people are probably counting down the days to the opening of "Ant-Man".

bibfortuitous, Dra---, m4st4 and 2 others like this.
  4. JediAce1

JediAce1 Force Ghost star 5

May 8, 2014
    I didn't like TDKR because it was incredibly boring IMO. Plus, I couldn't understand a damn thing that came out of Bane's mouth. Tom Hardy's James Bond villain impersonation sure didn't help.

Satipo likes this.
  5. TheBBP

Nov 6, 2012
    I just did not enjoy Nolan's overall take on Batman. I do not disagree that they were all but universally enjoyed and were very successful. I just wasn't a fan.

Dra--- likes this.
  6. ezekiel22x

ezekiel22x Chosen One star 5

Aug 9, 2002
    I'm one of the rare people who liked Begins but didn't care for The Dark Knight. Really confounds me how Internet fandom dubbed the latter to be some transcendent icon, but then again my tastes generally run against much of the "geek culture" mainstream.

I'll probably end up loving the first Disney Star Wars film that gets an average to negative reception.

Darth PJ likes this.
  7. Krueger

Krueger Chosen One star 5

Aug 9, 2004
    I like Batman Begins the best. That one actually feels like an adaptation of a comic book, whereas the others, whilst being good films in their own right, are more crime thrillers than anything.

8. Darth Dookacas

Darth Dookacas Jedi Master star 4

Sep 29, 2014
    The Batman trilogy was awesome but not as fun as Star Wars. Star Wars has so much more replay value than most movies.

9. ThreeDeathstickProblem

ThreeDeathstickProblem Force Ghost star 5

Sep 25, 2014
    Let's try to keep the discussion about Regarding Henry, people.

10. Pro Scoundrel

Pro Scoundrel New Films Expert At Modding Casual star 6 Staff Member Manager

Nov 20, 2012
    So, what you guys are trying to say is that JJ should direct Batman?

11. I Are The Internets

I Are The Internets Shelf of Shame Host star 9 VIP - Game Host

Nov 20, 2012
    TDKR was incredibly silly and chock full of plot holes. I still enjoy it though.

Howard Hand likes this.
  12. TheBBP

Nov 6, 2012

I am saying that I have zero reservations about TFA and have no doubt that I will absolutely love every second of what JJ brings us. I just believe in what he is doing. However, I do have some hopes in Dawn of Justice that I fear for. I want sooooo bad for Snyder to knock that out of the park.

Dra--- likes this.
  13. unicron5

unicron5 Jedi Grand Master star 3

Mar 19, 2002

The interesting thing about this movie is Abrams says that the movie basically has to work on its own, it can't just be a "Star Wars" movie, it has to work for someone who's never seen a Star Wars movie before.

That's going to be a different approach, really I think it's the first Star Wars movie maybe since A New Hope that's being made that way and that's how Abrams goes about storytelling.

It has to work on its own, it can't just be "well here's more Star Wars".

14. WadiumArcadium

WadiumArcadium Jedi Knight star 2

Nov 27, 2014

JJ IS Batman.

15. ray243

ray243 Jedi Grand Master star 3

May 26, 2006

The point is people or at the least fanboys on the Internet doesn't seem to be judging a movie based on its actual quality but by whether the film meet their expectations. Given their expectation is a film that is better than TDK, it was bound to disappoint them.

Which is why I always argue against anyone trying to hype a film up in any internet community. Overhyping can easily kill a movie, and comments like "this film cannot possibly fail" only further raise the expectations to an unrealistic degree. Fandoms have a tendency to destroy the thing they love because of their unrealistic expectations.

16. Darth PJ

Darth PJ Force Ghost star 6

Jul 31, 2013
    I have a higher regard of him as a filmmaker than I do of his Dark Knight films to be honest (I thought Batman Begins was by far the best one of the bunch)... although I have to say that I still think Burton's Batman is the best.

SkywalkerOG, Darth Raiden and TheBBP like this.
  17. Darth PJ

Darth PJ Force Ghost star 6

Jul 31, 2013
    And because they are generally weird... ;)

thejeditraitor and TheBBP like this.
  18. thejeditraitor

thejeditraitor Chosen One star 6

Aug 19, 2003
    you can say that again.

Darth PJ likes this.
  19. Hoggsquattle

Hoggsquattle Jedi Master star 5

Feb 7, 2009

That a rather cynical view - maybe Iger really liked it.

But yes, it is a little for the rest of us to be singing praises or crying doom.

I am hopeful and feeling positive. I see no point in being doubtful or negative.

Probably the best way to approach anything - judge it on itself alone.
    I didn't there was any TDKR hating at all. I had thought it was well received all around - though I myself didn't love it. I didn't hate it either. It is okay, but not a patch on the previous two.

20. Arch Stanton

Arch Stanton Jedi Knight star 1

Apr 15, 2014
    Hated his Star Trek films but JJ's going to be such a good fit for E7.

Danfromumbrella likes this.
  21. Danfromumbrella

Danfromumbrella Jedi Grand Master star 4

May 20, 2014
    Arch Stanton

Just curious. If he was horrible for Star Trek what makes him good for Star Wars?

22. Arch Stanton

Arch Stanton Jedi Knight star 1

Apr 15, 2014

You don't think the two have very different styles?

23. Ganger

Ganger Force Ghost star 4

Dec 9, 1999
    It's probably about the way he turned a very cerebral, moral sci fi classic to a more energetic space adventure

thejeditraitor likes this.
  24. DarthLightlyBruise

DarthLightlyBruise Jedi Grand Master star 5

Feb 11, 2015
    Yeah, I just found little that was adventurous about JJ's Star Trek films. There was action, but precious little wonder. They felt so...small, somehow.

However, the teaser convinced me that he'll get this one right. I have hope.

25. Danfromumbrella

Danfromumbrella Jedi Grand Master star 4

May 20, 2014
    But again he didn't write Star Trek.

Super 8 gets those precious little moments down. The good thing is Abrams gets to use someone else's great universe and ideas and come up with great characters and great moments with good dialog. That's why he will nail this

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.