main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

ST JJ Abrams to direct Episode VII

Discussion in 'Sequel Trilogy' started by Kuestmaster, Jan 24, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. starocean90

starocean90 Chosen One star 8

Feb 19, 2014
  2. Danfromumbrella

Danfromumbrella Jedi Grand Master star 4

May 20, 2014
    I wonder if that pertains to Episode VII.

3. Krueger

Krueger Chosen One star 5

Aug 9, 2004
    I think he just means in general.

4. starocean90

Feb 19, 2014
    J.J. ABRAMS could scarcely be accused of faffing about. In recent weeks, Abrams and his production company Bad Robot have extended their partnership deal with Paramount Pictures, greenlit a streaming series based on a Stephen King novel and starring James Franco, set Simon Pegg as co-writer on the third Star Trek movie and ... oh, there’s the small matter of some blockbuster or another that the filmmaker should be busy editing for a December 17 release.
    “Ahh yes,” says Abrams, suddenly remembering the existence of Star Wars: Episode VII — The Force Awakens. “If I hung up right now, would you be offended?”
    There’s a pregnant pause before he adds: “Just kidding.”
    As he talks about enjoying the work of his actors, it seems appropriate to ask how the cast of The Force Awakens — which ranges from original franchise stars Harrison Ford, Mark Hamill and Carrie Fisher to complete unknowns — gelled.
    “Ahh, well, I need you to see it and let me know what you think,” he replies. “We’re still cutting it, but I could not be more excited.”
    Of course Abrams isn’t giving much away; his days on TV series Lost and his campaign to conceal the identity of the character Benedict Cumberbatch played inStar Trek Into Darkness make it clear he likes a bit of secrecy. Yet steering the Star Wars ship has taken the shushing to new heights.
    “The level of scrutiny is pretty much unprecedented for me,” he admits. “My dream is that, despite so many rumours — many of which are true, many of which are untrue — when people see the movie, they see something that hasn’t been completely ruined for them by having read spoilers they might not have wanted to read.”
    http://www.news.com.au/entertainmen...ode-vii-for-fans/story-e6frfmvr-1227271151210

nightangel and TheBBP like this.
  5. Darth_Bertie

Darth_Bertie Force Ghost star 6

Mar 30, 2014
    They way he phrased that sentence makes me think again the whole movie has been spoiled. We know how it begins, what´s the overall plot, who are each character, and how it ends.

He is hoping in these 9 months we don´t get to know every detail, every design in the movie and there is still some small surprise remaining.

DarthLightlyBruise likes this.
  6. Darth PJ

Darth PJ Force Ghost star 6

Jul 31, 2013
    Yeah - I think the general plot and charcaters are out there now. I think the main thing that we can't gleen is how effective the set pieces will play out.

7. PaperSkin

PaperSkin Jedi Knight star 3

Mar 12, 2015
    Unless he's playing along making people think that rumours are true so then when the movie does come out its a surprise, I'm mean if you were in JJ position wouldn't you want the people who are looking for spoilers to be believing stuff that's not true, leave them thinking that they are on the right path when they are not. Hypothetically if MSW information was wrong and is created from a false story or a rejected script then if I was JJ I would want everyone following him to believe it.

Just a thought and a hope haha, can't say I'm liking what's coming out from MSW so I would be happy for it to be false but of course as things stand now it could well be true, we have no idea one way or the other.

Plus the true stuff could just be general stuff like Han getting killed (which isn't all that surprising really) there being a castle, rose pub, a home in a downed AT-AT, those photo leaks, some concept art like rey's character with the hooded gut, stuff like that rather than the story beats and info from MSW, we just don't know.

8. Leoluca Randisi

Leoluca Randisi Jedi Grand Master star 6

Jun 24, 2014
    I agree totally .... :)

9. Darth PJ

Darth PJ Force Ghost star 6

Jul 31, 2013
    I'd like to think you were right... but unfortunately I don't believe that to be the case. As others have said, we're obviously missing context, but at a high level I think we have all the main 'bits'.

10. Danfromumbrella

May 20, 2014
    YoU get the vibe that he's bummed so much is spoiled but it also feels like he's so proud of the performances he got that he really wants people to see it so they understand those leaks better. He seems happy with the movie

El_Machete12 likes this.
  11. Hoggsquattle

Hoggsquattle Jedi Master star 5

Feb 7, 2009
    Maybe all the rumour mongers are Bad Robot employees paid to sit around all day spreading lies. :p

Master_Lok likes this.
  12. Othini

Othini Jedi Grand Master star 4

Dec 6, 2012
    Well, its interesting that none of the bigger entertainment news media has brought up the spoilers. I asked a friend who is very interested in Star Wars in general, but he never comes to this site, or sites like MSW, and the only thing he had picked up was the killing of Han Solo. Which he already had figured out anyway. So the leak might do not so much damage, to the broader parts of the audience that will watch the movie. Actually, very little damage i think. This is also a movie, its an audio visual experience, and i think those of you here, thinking this film is already spoiled and you have the context of the story, the dynamics and the emotional effect it will bring with it, i think you are horrible wrong, and its almost disrespect for the filmmakers medium. To those who are feeling a bit disillusioned here, and constantly believe the story of the film is moving in a negative direction ( only one scene for Luke, lightsaber floating in space, no Skywalker child etc etc), if you spend so much time in here on the forums ( yes, i do too!) it ends with a dissection situation, where you're thoughts starts like projecting the negatives, its like mind games kind of, and those spoilers will become more and more, almost irrational i think. And you are bound to be disappointed. You can state, " i love to read spoilers, and it will not ruin the film for me anyway". Sure, but i don't believe it. It will to certain degree. Here´s hoping the movie will blow me away either way, i read spoilers too, I'm here right, but its a false premise to start, when digging to deep into the topics we have been served through the call sheet leaks. Oh well. I love a good discussion too of course.

13. Danfromumbrella

May 20, 2014
  14. Hoggsquattle

Hoggsquattle Jedi Master star 5

Feb 7, 2009
    Othini

Bigger, legitimate entertainment news sites and magazines will avoid really spoiler spoilers so as to be Disney and Lucasfilms good books when the time comes for real access and news.

Movie magazines and TV shows are often brought on sets and to locations for behind the scenes articles and segments to made printed and aired on agreed dates during the real publicity on the movies. I'd imagine this has happened on TFA too.

15. Flapjack4

Flapjack4 Jedi Master star 4

Nov 6, 2014
  16. Qui-Riv-Brid

Qui-Riv-Brid Force Ghost star 5

Apr 18, 2013
    To me it doesn't really mean a thing. We knew as much as you could possibly know about ROTS going in. We knew what had happened before and after and certain things that therefore had to happen.

I forget know how open the promotion of the movie was but for me ROTS was the most exciting theatre experience of the PT not because it was low in any way but high, higher and highest.

It's sort of like going to a movie that is an adaptation of a book. What is going to be in, out changed etc?

Point is that even if I totally avoided knowing anything but officially released information going in it would probably take less than half a hour of the film to figure out the basic shape of what the story is going to be and where it's going to go.

If TESB was a totally new film how long before you figured out that "OK Luke is going to train while Vader is going to capture Leia and Han and use them as bait to trap Luke." You don't know the exact details of how it will happen but you can guess the broad outline easy enough.

17. FRAGWAGON

FRAGWAGON Jedi Master star 4

Nov 3, 2012
    I'm just kind of sad we haven't had any official release of a McCaig/Chiang painting(s). Because wistful Newsweek memories of ROTJ.

"Luke's wearing black?! Whoa! An AT-AT in a forest!!"

18. starocean90

Feb 19, 2014
  19. starocean90

Feb 19, 2014
  20. DV75

DV75 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 30, 2001
    “Ahh, well, I need you to see it and let me know what you think,” he replies.

JJ certainly does not sound so sure here. Seems like he knows the story was iffy and took a gamble - he sounds worried that its going to blow up in their faces.

21. Danfromumbrella

May 20, 2014
    DV75 I didn't get that from that response at all. I took it as, he thinks they did amazing and he wants us to find out for ourselves how great they did.

Heck, one of the main things he's been saying all along is how great of performances the cast did. How much great work everyone did.. Ever since the post-production got to work, he's seemed way way way more confident and excited for people to see the material.

22. Satipo

Satipo Force Ghost star 7

Mar 29, 2014
    No it does not sound like JJ knows he's involved in an iffy story. Talk about looking for a negative.

23. Danfromumbrella

May 20, 2014
    Yeah, it really doesn't sound anything like that. When I first read that I thought the above immediately. He seems really confident with the work everyone turned in. Even in recent interviews he keeps saying how excited he is for people to see what they did.

24. DV75

DV75 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 30, 2001
    Sometimes when you are deep into post production - it doesn't come out as great as some hoped.

25. Rookhelm

Rookhelm Jedi Master star 4

Sep 22, 2014

seems you might be projecting. I think he's intentionally being coy, like a "you'll have to wait and see" with a wink.

Pro Scoundrel and Satipo like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.