main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

ST JJ Abrams to direct Episode VII

Discussion in 'Sequel Trilogy' started by Kuestmaster, Jan 24, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Blake Starstrider

Blake Starstrider Jedi Master star 2

Apr 19, 2015
    No. The story came together through the efforts of Kasdan, Brackett, Kurtz, and Lucas. Yes Lucas lead the way story wise, but by no means was it just him. Obviously Lucas was a key creative force behind this movie, nobody would deny that. However the ESB was a group effort, even more so than any of the other Star Wars movies. In fact I think this movie actually showed Lucas at his best which is as a producer, creator and idea man. With ESB he was much more hands off and he trusted Kershner with the making of the movie, which paid off exponentially. Also if you read interviews from Kurtz or Kershner you would realize that he only visited the sets in England a few times and was barely involved in the actual movie making process. That would be like calling the LOTR films "Peter Jackson's movies" if he only went to New Zealand a few times. Also is The Dark Knight David Goyer's movie now? I mean he did come up with the base story for it..

Look I could pull several interviews from Kurts or Kershner supporting this, but that would just be a waste of time because I know you aren't going to change your mind. Because we get it. You love Lucas.

2. deneuves

deneuves Jedi Knight star 4

Apr 19, 2015
    I would rather see Rian Johnson repeat if any director has to, but I can't deny that this rumor is at least a strong confidence boost for TFA. Usually when a director is rehired before the film is even released, the finished product ends up being very good (Catching Fire, Winter Soldier). JJ is not an auteur by any means, but he is a very strong actor's director and brought out very solid work from Chris Pine in ST, who hasn't been half as good in anything else since.

3. Othini

Othini Jedi Grand Master star 4

Dec 6, 2012
    Agree. And one of the things that will make or break TFA, is how the director have managed to balance and inspire the acting. Boyega and Ridley is of very raw material remember. Very young. Not to much experience and credits on their list. Carry a movie of this size is a huge thing. Pretty confident after seeing the chemistry between them on SW Celebration, the teaser was fantastic, but it does not really have any dialog, so its difficult to judge by know, if this works out.

4. KenW

KenW Jedi Knight star 4

Jan 25, 2015
    That's exactly what I said. Lucas lead the way on all the saga films. Nobody is saying he sculpted Boba Fett's mask by hand or played first violin on the soundtrack or wrote all the dialogue. To argue that he didn't lead the way and then agree that he did lead the way but argue that he didn't do everything is moving the goalpost and a strawman argument.

cameron.osborn and FRAGWAGON like this.
  5. Qui-Riv-Brid

Qui-Riv-Brid Force Ghost star 5

Apr 18, 2013
    Exactly.

If Lucas put K, K and K in a room and said "Hey you go and make a movie for me. Make up your own story" They would not have created TESB.

If he gets another director and writer and producer he still makes a movie that is TESB and would be 90%+ the same recognizable movie.

Why? Because it's his movie not their's. They don't know the story, the characters, the designs, the everything like he does.

KenW likes this.
  6. Blake Starstrider

Apr 19, 2015
    No it isn't. What I said was that George Lucas led the story, I never said he led the movie. And just because he led the way on the story doesn't make the story entirely his, much less the movie itself. I think it's impossible to call it his film when he wasn't even in the same country where it was being shot. On ESB George's role was as one of the story writers and as a producer, both of which he is phenomenal at. However in no other instance does a story writer and a producer get more credit than the director. In general the director gets the majority of the credit, and for good reason. They are the ones who actually make the movie and make the characters and scenes come to life.

If you put Lucas in a room all by himself and let him write, direct it and produce it, the result would look absolutely nothing ESB. It was a group effort like almost all classic movies are. ESB is the result of the combined efforts of Lucas, Karsdan, Kershner, Kurtz and Brackett. They all played essential roles and all contributed to make the movie we all know and love. To suggest that ESB is 90% Lucas is absurd and is insulting and disrespectful to everyone else who poured there hearts and souls into it.

Actually they did know the story, the characters and the designs because they all helped create them. Star Wars isn't just the work of one man, and it never has been. Kurtz in particular played a instrumental role in the creation of both ANH and ESB.

Also based on everything I've seen and read I would actually argue that Kershner actually had a better understanding of Luke, Han and Leia than Lucas ever did. Lucas is a tremendous idea man, a creative genius, and a phenomenal storyteller, but characterization has never really been a strong suit of his.

7. ThreeDeathstickProblem

ThreeDeathstickProblem Force Ghost star 5

Sep 25, 2014
    How 'bout that JJ? I hear he's doing good things.

8. Blake Starstrider

Apr 19, 2015
    Wait who is JJ.....? :D But probably a good call to get back on topic considering this is the JJ board. I personally am ecstatic about him directing! Everything he says about the movie and about Star Wars in general gives me the impression that he really gets it. He gets the universe, he gets the characters, he gets what makes Star Wars so special. Not to mention the fact everything that has been released about the movie so far has been pure gold. I'm at the point now where all I'm trying to do is not get my hopes up too high and find a way to survive until December. But all I know is that I have a really good feeling about this.

What's scary though is that I might actually be more excited to see what Rian can do with the sequels than what JJ is doing with VII.. [face_hypnotized]

9. KenW

KenW Jedi Knight star 4

Jan 25, 2015
    The leaked audio, if it is real, suggests the following approach by JJ:

The Force Awakens is to Empire Strikes Back as Into Darkness is to Wrath of Khan.

Why else would they hire him if not to do what he did with Star Trek?

10. ThreeDeathstickProblem

ThreeDeathstickProblem Force Ghost star 5

Sep 25, 2014
    I'm sure Armond White has already writing his hot take. It's envied and fashionable to be the first contrarian take.

11. Howard Hand

Howard Hand Jedi Master star 4

Feb 11, 2015
    He's writing a positive and negative review just in case.

12. Blake Starstrider

Apr 19, 2015
    The audio is from Faking Star Wars... [face_frustrated] Obviously its fake.

And I don't know... Maybe because he is a life long Star Wars fan who has a great grasp on the themes, characters and universe and is one of the best Sci-Fi directors working in Hollywood today.

PymParticles likes this.
  13. DarthLightlyBruise

DarthLightlyBruise Jedi Grand Master star 5

Feb 11, 2015
    As I understand it, Bird has mostly done animated films. I'm curious. Why do so many people here think he's a good fit for Star Wars?

14. yassir.khan

yassir.khan Jedi Master star 4

Nov 27, 2014
    What audio??

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

15. Blake Starstrider

Apr 19, 2015
    Brad Bird is a really talented guy. Yes most of his work is in animation, but regardless of the medium his stuff is really impressive. He wrote and directed The Iron Giant, The Incredibles, and Ratatouille all of which are considered animated classics and are some of the best animated features of the past few decades. His live action directorial debut was MI: Ghost Protocol which was a massive hit with audiences and critics alike. He is a guy who has literally never made a bad movie before. Bird has a knack for finding the perfect balance between heart, drama, humor and action that I think would translate really well in a Star Wars movie. I can't say for sure if I would rather have him than JJ or Rian, but if those two weren't available or they need someone new in the future he is definitely the guy I would go to.

Here's a scary thought though. What if the ST ended up with 3 different directors, one doing each movie? So VII by JJ, VIII by Rian, and IX by Bird. What's even more interesting is that sequentially that would actually be playing to each directors strengths as far as what tonal patterns trilogies generally follow.

16. Random Comments

Random Comments Jedi Grand Master star 5

Sep 25, 2012
    Because he's made some brilliant films, and Abrams has never yet made a film/programme I've actually liked. Crossing my fingers that VII will be a first, but he makes me feel somewhat less confident in the film.

Edit: Blake said it better.

17. DarthLightlyBruise

DarthLightlyBruise Jedi Grand Master star 5

Feb 11, 2015
    I'm not an Abrams fan, so that's not why I asked the question (though the teaser makes me think he's found his home). I think Alfonso Cuaron, Rian Johnson and a few other directors (many in the TV business, such as Game of Thrones' Slovis and some others) are much better and more imaginative than he is.

That said, while Bird is a competent director, the main impression I've gotten from his films is fast-paced and conventionally-funny. His films simply don't leave me with much of an impression. And visually, he doesn't seem to have much of a memorable style (much like Joss Whedon).

That said, he certainly wouldn't be the worst choice...

18. Latrine

Latrine Jedi Master star 1

Jan 3, 2001

I guess that's a "no" then.

19. ray243

ray243 Jedi Grand Master star 3

May 26, 2006

I would hardly say Joss Whedon is known for a memorable visual style. His avengers movies look like something out of an episode of a TV series.

20. Darth PJ

Darth PJ Force Ghost star 6

Jul 31, 2013
    I agree completely ray243... whilst I feel Whedon is the better storyteller, I don't think his films are very cinematic... and as you say, look more like TV. I think Abrams has a better sense of visuals, but is the inferior storyteller.

DarthLightlyBruise likes this.
  21. Satipo

Satipo Force Ghost star 7

Mar 29, 2014
    My guess is Rian Johnson comes back for 9 as well. I could even see them shooting back to back.

Pro Scoundrel likes this.
  22. ray243

ray243 Jedi Grand Master star 3

May 26, 2006

Although I do feel that Abrams himself is quite limited in terms of visuals as well, compared to other young directors that is.

23. Darth PJ

Jul 31, 2013
    I think that would make sense... You'd think there would be efficiencies to be made by doing that...

TK327 and Satipo like this.
  24. Satipo

Satipo Force Ghost star 7

Mar 29, 2014
    Especially with the anthologies starting up.

25. Darth PJ

Jul 31, 2013
    I suppose that even if they don't shoot back to back (which makes it a big commitment for the actors), they'll probably merge bits of production to utilise same sets/costumes between movies etc.

TK327 likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.