main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

ST JJ Abrams to direct Episode VII

Discussion in 'Sequel Trilogy' started by Kuestmaster, Jan 24, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Pro Scoundrel

Pro Scoundrel New Films Expert At Modding Casual star 6 Staff Member Manager

Nov 20, 2012
    Now you're talking about JJ Trek vs the last couple of entries, instead of JJ Trek vs the original Trek. JJ's Trek films are better than the last couple of NG films, but they don't hold a candle to the Original series/OS films.

Pfluegermeister and Rabs like this.
  2. deneuves

deneuves Jedi Knight star 4

Apr 19, 2015
    Didn't ask your opinion. Just pointing out that pegg's statements on ST at least had the backing of the industry and critics. While his critique of the prequels also had that.

3. starocean90

starocean90 Chosen One star 8

Feb 19, 2014
    honestly critical reception doesn't make a movie good as everybody has their own tastes.:)
    actually JJ's Star Trek is not really a reboot it's a continuation of Next Generation and from there an alternative timeline was created. So him telling others not to complain when he himself does so is the same thing as they are both continuations.:p

Andy Wylde likes this.
  4. Rabs

Rabs Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jul 15, 2014
    I agree about the films. The original Trek films are great in my opinion. But the series is horrid. Loved it as a kid but I can only watch a handful of the episodes now.

deneuves I don't care if you asked for my opinion or not. You got it anyway and I'll continue to give it if I feel like giving it.

5. Pro Scoundrel

Nov 20, 2012
  6. deneuves

Apr 19, 2015
    Just from a critical standpoint, Tos movies had 1 very well reviewed entry (Wrath of Khan). The rest were either mixed/slight positive or panned. Obviously JJ's Trek doesn't reach Khan but the other movies? None of them are particularly beloved outside of Trek fandom.

7. I Are The Internets

I Are The Internets Shelf of Shame Host star 9 VIP - Game Host

Nov 20, 2012
    ST(I)D is a pretty terrible film, but it's still better than TMP, TFF, Insurrection, and Nemesis.

8. Darth_Voider

Darth_Voider Jedi Grand Master star 4

May 4, 2015
    I know the RT scores. And after the huge success that was First Contact, Insurrection and Nemesis were rather meh (especially the latter).
    Star Trek 2009 and Into Darkness are fun to watch, they were successful, but they have nothing really to do with the pre-reboot Trek in the opinion of many Trek fans. There's literally nothing left from Gene Roddenberrys vision. They're basically summer action blockbusters with no depth, at least that's the consensus among those Trek fans. That's were the complains come from. "This isn't the Trek I grew up with". Sounds familiar, right?
    And Pegg says to them they should move on, but he himself says the same about the Prequels.

9. deneuves

Apr 19, 2015
    I think most dissenters' problem with the PT is just that they're not good movies. Not that it's too different. If TPM was a 95% film and still got the same complaint, then you could draw the comparison.

10. starocean90

Feb 19, 2014
    like I always said about JJ Star Trek movies, they were Star Wars movies disguised as Star Trek movies.:p

11. EHT

EHT Manager Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 13, 2007
    OK, so there's the line I've been watching you move towards. The thread is too close to bashing and PT vs. OT battles. Everyone please move along and get back on topic.

Mr_Thompson and Valairy Scot like this.
  12. Pro Scoundrel

Nov 20, 2012
    Actually, the 4th film is the one that usually gets hailed as the best outside of hardcore fandom, but I digress. The JJ trek films came out at a very different time and film climate than the originals. They were designed to be hits/blockbuster films, and have a marketing machine behind them that the originals couldn't have even dreamed of. It's not exactly a case of everything being equal. It's really almost impossible to get an accurate account of how older films would play today, and then compare them to newer films. Suffice it to say that (IMO, of course) JJ's films miss the mark considerably when it comes to what Star Trek is actually about.

EDIT: Apologies for my participation in derailment. I'll be good from now on.

Rabs, EHT and Darth_Voider like this.
  13. Artoo-Dion

Artoo-Dion Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 9, 2009
    I've still gotta see Into Darkness, but the nostalgia and fan love is IMHO clouding Trekkies' appraisal of pre-reboot Trek. When Nimoy died I watched Wrath of Khan for the first time in maybe 30 years. It's held up as the best of Trek and, frankly, it just isn't that good. Certainly no better than Trek '09. It comes of as a good two-part TV episode, and when compared to things like Blade Runner (released the same year), ESB, Close Encounters, etc., etc., it's a bit of a dud. What's more, by the time Trek was rebooted, the franchise had been run into the ground. It was a case of reboot or die.

Maybe the reboot wasn't that thoughtful, but it's not like classic Trek films were up there with 2001 anyway. It's all space opera--it's just that classic Trek films thought they were smarter than they actually were.

14. Pro Scoundrel

Nov 20, 2012
  15. Rabs

Jul 15, 2014
    I'll take the worst Trek film over 2001 any day of the week.

Andy Wylde likes this.
  16. Artoo-Dion

Jun 9, 2009
    The point is that fans think the best Trek movies were the thinking man's big screen science fiction, when really, they were just as "dumb" as SW, just more ponderous.

-Jedi Joe- likes this.
  17. Rabs

Jul 15, 2014
    That's because hardcore Trek fans are as pretentious as the Federation. If I want thinking man science fiction I'll read Isaac Asimov.

Artoo-Dion likes this.
  18. Pro Scoundrel

Nov 20, 2012
    Hey guys, ease up. I resemble those remarks. :)

-Jedi Joe- and LANDO_ROCKS like this.
  19. starocean90

Feb 19, 2014
    so why are we discussing Trek when JJ mentioned SW gold aka the Holiday Special...

-Jedi Joe- likes this.
  20. Powerful Lord

Powerful Lord Jedi Knight star 1

May 10, 2015
    To be fair, i do see why Trek fans got angry, i watched some Original series episodes and i realy liked how each one tried to deal with a real social issue, as well as other serious themes. Trek 09 paved the way for great stories to be told, unfortunately, Into Darkness, while well made, did many of the same things and didn't realy progress the story. The only Trek films i've watched were Abrams's, Wrath of Khan and Search for Spock, and i feel like none of them has realy captured the magic of Roddenberry's vision.

ST wasn't perfect, but the general idea is what makes it different from current blockbuster space operas and allows it to deal with certain stories films like Star Wars and Guardians of the Galaxy will never do. I still respect Abrams for reinvigorating Star Trek though, and he was able to make good films out of screenplays written by the Transformers team, it's impressive the films turned out so well. Whenever Trek goes back to tv, they should probably try staying in the rebooted timeline too.

Anyway, Abrams is more suited for Star Wars, someone has already mentioned it here before, but his Star Trek films were pretty much Star Wars films disguised as ST.

21. Artoo-Dion

Jun 9, 2009
    You're right, the series often had depth. As a film franchise, Trek always felt to me like the they were space opera with none of the fun of SW nor the depth of the Trek series. (The exceptions might be Voyage Home and First Contact--need to watch them again.) It really was the worst of both worlds, and the sort of films only fans of the shows could really appreciate.

So I feel it's a mistake to attack Abrams for robbing Star Trek of its depth when deep stories were never the forte of the Trek films anyway. If we were talking about a new series, it'd be a different matter.

22. Pro Scoundrel

Nov 20, 2012
    And that's where we differ. I've always felt the ST films followed the same vein as the show, for the most part. Abrams Trek just seem like action films to me. I enjoy the first one as an entertaining film, but I don't get much else out of it.

Darth_Voider and starocean90 like this.
  23. LANDO_ROCKS

LANDO_ROCKS Force Ghost star 5

Nov 28, 2002

See I was never a Star Trek fan so when I watched JJ's ST I was happily surprised, I think in some ways he 'Star-Warsified' ST a little (made it more exciting and fast paced).

24. starocean90

Feb 19, 2014
    which isn't the point of Trek and even the older movies like scoundrel said still had the Star Trek feel.
    JJ trek movies were enjoyable movies but terrible Trek and had almost nothing to do with the essence of the franchise.:p

Andy Wylde and Darth_Voider like this.
  25. Pro Scoundrel

Nov 20, 2012
    He definitely made it much more energetic & fast paced, which he's very good at. I've been a Star Trek fan all my life, and I just prefer my Trek more ponderous.

Darth_Voider and starocean90 like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.