main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

ST JJ Abrams to direct Episode VII

Discussion in 'Sequel Trilogy' started by Kuestmaster, Jan 24, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Qui-Riv-Brid

Qui-Riv-Brid Force Ghost star 5

Apr 18, 2013
    I agree with your sentiment though it's a bit harsher then I'd put it and despite all the talk about "creative freedom" the reality is that this isn't solely, wholly JJ's movie. It simply doesn't work that way in a corporate set up.

That is the usual nonsensical PR hype. JJ who is not in sole charge of all or the creator and so therefore doesn't have total freedom to do what he wants. He has to play the game and pretend that he has more say than he really ever would.

Anyone coming in was going to have to make a certain kind of Star Wars movie. Now he can play a ton within that framework but it's not any much different from him doing Star Trek. He could do all kinds of neat and cool things (which he did) but there was a certain framework he had to work in. Virtually everyone does because unlike Lucas they don't have total freedom and they aren't paying for the movie.

Sure Kylo Ren is not a Sith besides the fact that in every meaningful way we have seen so far he screams SITH!! a cross between Vader and Maul. Take all the coolness of Maul add some Vaderisms and new red Lightsaber and instant icon. Very smart.

That they were going to use the iconography of the Empire was also a given. That they were going to be so close is a bit of a let down to me. You could have ships that say Empire without actually being Empire.

Andy Wylde likes this.
  2. darthtimetraveller

darthtimetraveller Jedi Knight star 3

Aug 9, 2015
    I have JJ at 2 wins 1 loss so far. I really liked Star Trek 2009 and i thought his Mission Impossible was good, but I thought he really dropped the ball with Star Trek: Into Darkness. I hope he does a good job with Star Wars. Please don't screw this up JJ lol.

Knightstalker137 likes this.
  3. Artoo-Dion

Artoo-Dion Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 9, 2009
    This has to be the most superficial analysis yet. I'm surprised you can type these things with a straight face.

4. hachijedi

hachijedi Jedi Grand Master star 4

Feb 22, 2012
    I excited to see what JJ Cooked up. I do feel he's defintely in the School of Spielberg and Lucas. But I want him to make this his own sequel in the way Cameron made it his for "Aliens" his after "Ridely Scott". It's always presure in making a Star Wars Films.

Master_Lok and PymParticles like this.
  5. Master_Lok

Master_Lok Force Ghost star 6

Dec 18, 2012

Nicely said. If J.J. can make Star Wars his the way Cameron made Aliens, I'd be pleased. Hoping I won't do my awful Hudson imitation after seeing TFA either. :D

6. starocean90

starocean90 Chosen One star 8

Feb 19, 2014
    [face_laugh]
    Hideo Kojima with JJ
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

I'm looking forward to MGS V next week.:)

7. Njfritz

Njfritz Jedi Master star 3

Oct 2, 2014
    Came here to post that pic...of course Starocean beat me to it...
    Should've known JJ was a fan of MGSV, just look at how he designed C3PO...

8. starocean90

Feb 19, 2014
  9. TiniTinyTony

TiniTinyTony JCC Super Bowl Pick 'Em Winner star 7 VIP - Game Winner

Mar 9, 2003
    JJ and Hamill (and others) hanging out back in 2005.
    Note: video may contain adult language and themes.

Yodahasgreenfeet likes this.
  10. Qui-Riv-Brid

Qui-Riv-Brid Force Ghost star 5

Apr 18, 2013
    Just when you think that JJ can't get any more bizarre-erer with his statements:

http://abcnews.go.com/Entertainment...ew-abrams-keeping-star-wars-grounded-33449668

Realizing this, Abrams endeavored to marry modern CGI tools with old-school effects and real sets. That strategy, he says, paid off in capturing the spirit of "Star Wars."
    "I can't think of something that we did that doesn't look and feel more authentic that I wish we had done differently," says Abrams. "Wherever possible, whenever possible, we tried to do things as much in camera as we could. And that meant that a lot of artists on that side of things were building things not with pixels but with wood and paint and foam and actually constructing sets that we could have done in post. It gave the actors the actual location, the actual sunlight or stage light something to bounce off of, and the movie a feeling of being in an actual location and not an artificial one."

The actual sunlight OR STAGE LIGHT!!

[face_rofl]

So in a future BTS video we will hear someone say:

"We shot with stage lights, REAL stage lights!"

:eek:

11. yassir.khan

yassir.khan Jedi Master star 4

Nov 27, 2014
    Except that's not what he's saying.

He's saying there was something tangible for the sunlight or stage lights to bounce off of.

What in Yoda's name is wrong with that?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

12. Rookhelm

Rookhelm Jedi Master star 4

Sep 22, 2014
    the focus of that statement is not that there is real light involved (sun or stage), but that there are real/tangible objects in that scene that the real light is reflecting off of.

Sgt. Carver, dan1210, TK327 and 12 others like this.
  13. ThreeDeathstickProblem

ThreeDeathstickProblem Force Ghost star 5

Sep 25, 2014
    It seems like every thread has someone who basically squats on the thread and misses no opportunity to read official comments or unofficial rumors in the worst possible light.* I'm not demanding yes men at all, but some here seem to take joy in converting any positive statements into a chance to bash the filmmakers.

It's quite disheartening.

* cf: the rumor, Luke, Rey, and Finn threads.

14. Satipo

Satipo Force Ghost star 7

Mar 29, 2014
  15. Satipo

Satipo Force Ghost star 7

Mar 29, 2014
    It's really depressing.

Exactly. And I think there will be a tangible and critically appreciated difference in the look of TFA compared to the otherwise most recent efforts.

16. LUH-3417

LUH-3417 Jedi Master star 4

May 11, 2001
    after freakin 10 plus years of odd lighting and things that make your eyes go hmmmm from not just the prequels but from all modern fx movies suffering from cg burnout i dont see either why people are making fun of what hes sayin.

17. deneuves

deneuves Jedi Knight star 4

Apr 19, 2015
    If you've ever met an actor or heard one talk about acting, it's a big difference to act in a real environment vs an artificial one. A lot of actors just don't even want to bother with heavy green screen, apparently one of the reasons Joaquin Phoenix turned down Dr Strange is cause so much of the film is going to be green screen. Matt Reeves even chose to film in the real redwoods for Dawn of the Apes even though half his characters are CGI. It just gives the actors something extra.

18. TJSolo

TJSolo Jedi Knight star 2

Aug 3, 2014

I agree, and I think this is what JJ has been trying to tell people all along. I don't think he is stressing practical sets/effects because he hates/won't use CGI, he is stressing the fact that he is giving his actors a real environment to play in. Of course there is going to be a ton of CGI, hell, two of the main characters will be CGI.

This whole, "won't they shut up about practical sets" crowd is missing a key point, JJ and all of the actors are just excited that they had this, mostly, realistic environment to interact with. I would be pretty damn excited to visit these sets with all these real moving parts in the Star Wars universe.

All in all, if it helps the actors perform better and looks good on screen the we all win.

19. Lord D'arg

Lord D'arg Jedi Master star 3

Nov 29, 2013
    I remember Ewan talking about the ending of ROTS and Lucas was telling him to look into the suns and poor old Ewan was like it's all green, where are the suns?!?!

Blake Starstrider and Satipo like this.
  20. Pro Scoundrel

Pro Scoundrel Modercreeper Is Always Watching star 6 Staff Member Manager

Nov 20, 2012
    Nice to hear that JJ was pleased with the performances of the Big 3.

21. deneuves

deneuves Jedi Knight star 4

Apr 19, 2015
    A lot of CGI environments look great nowadays but there's a reason why Tom Cruise is still climbing skyscrapers in Dubai and not just filming it on a green screen sound stage.

22. ThreeDeathstickProblem

ThreeDeathstickProblem Force Ghost star 5

Sep 25, 2014
    This was my takeaway from the interview too. Not that it was a "DAE real???" drumbeat of anti-Lucas-ness, but some actual honest-to-goodness positivity and honesty.

TX-20, Pro Scoundrel and Satipo like this.
  23. starocean90

Feb 19, 2014
    we still talking about the whole real vs not real, it's like who cares those things are up to the director, it's his movie, his vision and they are nothing but tools to help make his vision the way he sees it.[face_dunno]

and yes it was nice of him to discuss the OT3 and how they effortlessly went back to Luke/Han/Leia as if they never left those characters.:)

24. DaddlerTheDalek

DaddlerTheDalek Jedi Master star 4

Aug 31, 2014
    Ok. This is just epic...

25. Yodahasgreenfeet

Yodahasgreenfeet Jedi Master star 4

Nov 4, 2012
    I do love Fringe. Fringe was a terrific TV series. Actually was one of my favorite series. Though, I don't know when I'll rewatch it having seen it all the way through.
    I hate HATE what he did to Star Trek but Star Wars seems to be in good hands.

Of course Star Trek did well, many enjoyed it. I hated the sequel even more. :D

Knightstalker137 likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.