main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

ST JJ Abrams to direct Episode VII

Discussion in 'Sequel Trilogy' started by Kuestmaster, Jan 24, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. MotherNature's SilverSeed

MotherNature's SilverSeed Jedi Grand Master star 4

Feb 4, 2013
    Ha! You WOULD fall for that blatant and deceptive piece of disingenuous PR!

You're being hoodwinked!! If he's anything at all, Abrams is a master of deception.

Mystery box??? HA! More like mys--mystery...myst...

THE MAN'S A LIAR. Plain and simple.

Only BUFFOONS think the PT was less than...you all just don't want to admit that the profundity of the whole Galactic Senate thing and the, thing...well, you have to realize that the dialogue...I mean, there were yellow and purple lightsabers, for chrissake!

And you can't argue with the ironclad proof of worthiness that is THE BOX OFFICE. You think the movie-going public would pay to watch crap?

And I know what you're going to say, but I'll have you know that I DO NOT subconsciously inhibit my critical thinking skills as a means of self-preservation! Here, I'll give you proof:

Hey, subconscious--do you purposely hamstring my capacity for making qualitative judgments in order to preserve my fragile sense of self-worth?

Oh really?

Hey everyone--my subconscious wants me to tell you that it says "no."

But back to Star Wars VII.

George Lucas was kicked out of the story group. GEORGE. LUCAS.

Isn't that all you need to know? The man is a WIZARD. The man IS wizard.

2. Blake Starstrider

Blake Starstrider Jedi Master star 2

Apr 19, 2015
    uhhh what..

3. Jar Jar All The Way

Jar Jar All The Way Jedi Knight star 2

Nov 17, 2014
    Are you talking about when he hands off the kids? They filmed that when they did AOTC while they were there shooting the other scenes.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

thejeditraitor likes this.
  4. Satipo

Satipo Force Ghost star 7

Mar 29, 2014
    A frighteningly accurate parody of some of our more dedicated members.

5. CuppaJoe

CuppaJoe Jedi Grand Master star 4

Aug 24, 2002
    I'm so confused. So are PT fans and fans who are worried about the lack of Lucas in the story group suddenly the butt-of-jokes around here or am I just missing the joke? Not trying to start anything I'm just like "huh?"

6. Satipo

Mar 29, 2014
    The more extreme ones would appear to be the target of that post, yes.

TX-20 likes this.
  7. Howard Hand

Howard Hand Jedi Master star 4

Feb 11, 2015
    Why not make fun of them? They can be just as ridiculous as their counterparts on the opposite side.

8. Lord D'arg

Lord D'arg Jedi Master star 3

Nov 29, 2013
    Yeah I think that's the scene, hold on I'm sure it was a Jonathan Ross interview.

Aha - around 8:55

9. Satipo

Mar 29, 2014
    Exactly what JJ and RJ are doing their best to minimise this. This should be applauded.

10. lovelikewinter

lovelikewinter Jedi Knight star 4

May 28, 2014

Nope, they reshot it on a green screen during ROTS, because Lucas changed his mind about who took the baby.

At the end, Lucas wanted a controlled environment where he could do more work in post. JJ wants to do as much in camera as possible. That's the difference.

11. A Chorus of Disapproval

A Chorus of Disapproval Head Admin & TV Screaming Service star 10 Staff Member Administrator

Aug 19, 2003
    I can think of a handful of reasons...

TheBBP, my kind of scum and CuppaJoe like this.
  12. Jar Jar All The Way

Jar Jar All The Way Jedi Knight star 2

Nov 17, 2014
    Ah I see, thanks! That interview above was pretty funny hahaha

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

13. Arch Stanton

Arch Stanton Jedi Knight star 1

Apr 15, 2014

Yup. I find that very hard to believe given the differences in his character's look between films, as well. His hair wasn't completely nailed down until just before shooting ROTS.

There's nothing inherently wrong with Lucas' approach - Stanley Kubrick became exactly the same, especially so on Eyes Wide Shut where he physically remade New York in London. I think that, given the sheer saturation of CGI and editing things going on, it just became a difficult condition for actors to work under.

14. starocean90

starocean90 Chosen One star 8

Feb 19, 2014
  15. CuppaJoe

Aug 24, 2002

Well, sure. But it's like c'mon, guys...things were a bit different in the 3SA days I guess lol

16. MotherNature's SilverSeed

MotherNature's SilverSeed Jedi Grand Master star 4

Feb 4, 2013
    Okay--in full disclosure, I feel embarrassed and ashamed about implicitly "bashing" the PT in that post. My careless and rather reckless choice to include that element is really unrelated to the point I was trying to make. I mean, if I'm honest with myself I would have to say that I like and appreciate a great many things about the PT--kind of makes my post hypocritical; my subconscious is equally deceptive and in ego-defense-mode if I am at all hyperbolic when criticizing the prequel trilogy or the enthusiasm and appreciation others have for the prequel trilogy.

So, that thing I wrote actually misses my own point in a not-insignificant way.

I shouldn't have implied that all PT supporters are like that, nor should I have implied that those who aren't in love with the apparent mitigation of Lucas' influence on the ST are like that.

Pro Scoundrel likes this.
  17. CuppaJoe

Aug 24, 2002
    Nah it's cool, I just didn't get what was going on!

18. L110

L110 Jedi Master star 4

Oct 26, 2014
    The scenes in Episodes I, II and III shot on location used real sunlight as well, am I right?
    The scenes in Episodes I, II and III shot on sets used real stage lights as well, am I right?
    Abrams's BS has gone TOO FAR, am I right?

Of course I am.

19. Artoo-Dion

Artoo-Dion Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 9, 2009
    I don't care how real the desert location is, that's not going to make the sunlight bounce off Jar Jar (who isn't even there) and it especially isn't going to then reflect onto Qui-Gon's face. That's the point. Sunlight interacts in complex ways.

20. Darth Sequel Trilogy

Darth Sequel Trilogy Jedi Padawan star 1

Jul 13, 2015
    My only fear for TFA and JJ directing it, is comparable to Brian Singer directing Superman Returns in 2006. Singer was a fanboy of the Superman movies and did everything in his power to emulate them (or atleast Superman I & II) and the movie was OK at best. Now the only difference is Singer didn't have Christopher Reeve playing Superman, as I feel nobody could every replace him, but the movie still had other issues. JJ has the luxury of Ford, Fisher, and Hamill returning which will make an easier transition for the fans with the new cools, compared to the PT where we were thrown into a new timeline with all new characters.

Hopefully JJ can knock it out of the park as I am really looking forward to December, but that Superman Returns analogy has given me some reservations.

Howard Hand likes this.
  21. Howard Hand

Howard Hand Jedi Master star 4

Feb 11, 2015
    That's one of my fears too. I still like that movie though. I'll take it over Indiana Jones 4, The non-Judgement Day Terminator sequels (and an unnamed set of movies that I cannot discuss here without starting a thread war) any day.

Darth Sequel Trilogy likes this.
  22. Darth PJ

Darth PJ Force Ghost star 6

Jul 31, 2013
    Let's hope none of TFA's CGI characters are used for scenes where there was on location and/or soundstange settings then...

Andy Wylde and L110 like this.
  23. Frank_TJ_Mackey

Frank_TJ_Mackey Jedi Grand Master star 4

Dec 6, 2000
    We can hope everything that we want...in the end....I will most likely prefer JJ's take on the matter over the opinions of all the posters here.

He directed the movie and I honestly believe that it's gonna be a very good SW movie.

Satipo likes this.
  24. Darth PJ

Darth PJ Force Ghost star 6

Jul 31, 2013
    As long as JJ Abrams had nothing to do with it I'm sure it will be great.... Oh ****, I forgot...

Andy Wylde and Abadacus like this.
  25. Frank_TJ_Mackey

Frank_TJ_Mackey Jedi Grand Master star 4

Dec 6, 2000
    JJ is not the greatest living movie director, I will give you that.

But Lucas isn't either.

It's Star Wars, all you need is a good story.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.