main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

ST JJ Abrams to direct Episode VII

Discussion in 'Sequel Trilogy' started by Kuestmaster, Jan 24, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ThreeDeathstickProblem

ThreeDeathstickProblem Force Ghost star 5

Sep 25, 2014
    Not sure if you're really serious or parodying the panicky comments here, but you're wrong. Abrams was talking about building sets and props and said doing so gave the sun or stage light "something to bounce off of." Abrams didn't say they used "real sunlight" as if the prequels didn't. People are once again reading their internal fears into a comment and twisting it in the process.

2. Darth PJ

Darth PJ Force Ghost star 6

Jul 31, 2013
  3. Frank_TJ_Mackey

Frank_TJ_Mackey Jedi Grand Master star 4

Dec 6, 2000
    With the cynical comments that can be found here on a daily basis....it's always hard to tell.

DaddlerTheDalek, TX-20, TK327 and 2 others like this.
  4. Darth PJ

Jul 31, 2013
    Oh I'm cynical alright... but cynicism shouldn't be taken too seriously... ;)

5. MotherNature's SilverSeed

MotherNature's SilverSeed Jedi Grand Master star 4

Feb 4, 2013
    Yeah, I think that's one of the major reasons why water and liquids are relatively realistic and believable when represented with CGI--while our limited knowledge of light waves and photons (I know--same thing) and surface and subsurface scatter and phong interpolation are very helpful when trying to represent reflection and refraction and surface effects, there's no real practical mathematical formula for representing the way light interacts with the (relativistic) world *and* the human eye's observation of it--whereas we have extremely accurate mathematical formulas derived from the laws of fluid dynamics and Newtonian physics in general.

TX-20, Mr_Thompson and Artoo-Dion like this.
  6. L110

L110 Jedi Master star 4

Oct 26, 2014
    He didn't have to say it. Anybody who follows the marketing campaign knows very well what he meant. And I'm right.

Andy Wylde likes this.
  7. LUH-3417

LUH-3417 Jedi Master star 4

May 11, 2001
    and maybe instead of just PT lovers taking it so hard because its all part of the same saga in the end, maybe all directors, studios, yes men, and shmuck boards of consultants involved with movies should take heed and stop taking out practical fx and replacing them with goofy animation (unless its done creatively and when truly needed)

8. PymParticles

PymParticles Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Oct 1, 2014
    Well, you see... that's where you're wrong.

9. Durge_

Durge_ Jedi Master star 1

Jan 26, 2004
    That was so funny! Thanks for sharing

10. L110

L110 Jedi Master star 4

Oct 26, 2014
    Well, you see...that's exactly where I'm the most right.

Andy Wylde likes this.
  11. L110

L110 Jedi Master star 4

Oct 26, 2014
    Just like Lucas did.

Andy Wylde likes this.
  12. Ganger

Ganger Jedi Grand Master star 4

Dec 9, 1999
    you're funny

13. L110

L110 Jedi Master star 4

Oct 26, 2014
    [quote="Ganger, post: 52655646, member: 237234"
    you're funny[/quote]
    I'm right and funy all right.

Andy Wylde likes this.
  14. Qui-Riv-Brid

Qui-Riv-Brid Force Ghost star 5

Apr 18, 2013
    The real key point that is missed to is this is exactly what the prequels did as well but even when you fill a studio full of sound stages with real sets that still wasn't enough for Lucas' movies so you needed blue and green screens to extend those sets out to create a lived in 360 degree universe that you could total creative freedom to get the shots you want.

If you shoot on sets and sets only then the world runs out or is confined to the size of the sets that you can build in the studio and only so many can be that large. That's why in ROTS The Invisible Hand can have a massive hanger that was used in any which way they wanted to shoot it while the hangar for the Death Star was impossibly small for a ship of that size and the angle they could shoot were so limited on set.

That is just one small example of course but whether it's the Yavin or Cloud City or the interior of the Star Destroyers or anywhere else there is only so much that "practical" sets can give you.

Each movie had dozens of sets. ROTS had some 72 full size practical sets. Which as Rick McCallum said was less than a third of the sets that they needed for the movie to get to the vision that Lucas had. The number of sets and the size needed in the movie were far beyond what is able to be done in reality. No one is going to build grand halls or massive departure docks or huge spaceships interiors on "real sets".

If some relative handful of fans have some problems with actors performances then that is their problem.

Andy Wylde, Rabs and L110 like this.
  15. ThreeDeathstickProblem

ThreeDeathstickProblem Force Ghost star 5

Sep 25, 2014
    Saying you're right doesn't make you right. You're claiming Abrams said something about "real sunlight and stage lights." Here's what he actually said:

To wit, he's explaining how constructing sets - sets made of "wood and paint and foam" - gave the actors, and the sunlight or stage light something physical to interact with, to "bounce off of." His point isn't about "real sunlight." It is about constructing physical rather than digital sets, and how that impacts the actor's performance and the way the image is captured on camera. This is a question of reading comprehension and understanding the point of his words.

16. thejeditraitor

thejeditraitor Chosen One star 6

Aug 19, 2003
    lol.

L110 likes this.
  17. Artoo-Dion

Artoo-Dion Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 9, 2009
    Reading comprehension is secondary when you're looking for offense.

Here's the thing: some of the hardcore PT fans seem to feel that any statement by JJ that suggests that the PT weren't the Platonic ideal of filmmaking is sacrilegious. But technology changes, techniques change and different filmmakers have different preferences. Just as the PT was made in a different way to the OT, so too will the ST be made in a different way to the PT.

It doesn't mean the PT were bad films per se, but it does mean that there's always room for improvement, especially when it comes to special effects.

18. Blake Starstrider

Blake Starstrider Jedi Master star 2

Apr 19, 2015
    Quid-Riv-Bird is the Beetlejuice of these forums. Mention the PT three times on a page and he will magically appear.

19. Howard Hand

Howard Hand Jedi Master star 4

Feb 11, 2015
    I laughed, then I realized that I'm the exact same way about John Williams. Nobody who posts about Williams is safe.

20. L110

L110 Jedi Master star 4

Oct 26, 2014
    Which is EXACTLY what George Lucas DID, whenever possible. Which is EXACTLY what EVERYBODY DOES. No matter whether intentionaly or unintentionaly this constant talking about practical effects, gushing over
    4-6 and total ignoring of 1-3 does feed up the prejudice and misinformation towards making of 1-3, there is NO doubt about that.

Andy Wylde and Darth PJ like this.
  21. yassir.khan

yassir.khan Jedi Master star 4

Nov 27, 2014
    Lucas was and is a pioneer. Without him I wouldn't have this franchise that is more than a franchise to me. I admire him, I respect him and I am eternally thankful to him.

That said, he isn't God. Or Yoda. And even then neither God or Yoda are infallible.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

22. Darth PJ

Jul 31, 2013
    The visual effects will, hopefully, be an improvement on the PT as the PT was on the OT. Nowt wrong with progression of visual effects techniques.

23. L110

L110 Jedi Master star 4

Oct 26, 2014
    Neither is JJ Abrams.

Andy Wylde likes this.
  24. yassir.khan

yassir.khan Jedi Master star 4

Nov 27, 2014
    Nobody ever says he is.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

25. Darth Palpadious

Darth Palpadious Jedi Master star 3

May 31, 2013
    Jeez, can't we love both of them? George created and maintained this franchise and JJ has resurrected it. Both are people I will be eternally grateful to, and if I ever meet either one of them the first thing I would say is "thank you". They are both worthy of praise.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.