main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

ST JJ Abrams to direct Episode VII

Discussion in 'Sequel Trilogy' started by Kuestmaster, Jan 24, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. yassir.khan

yassir.khan Jedi Master star 4

Nov 27, 2014
    It does smack of unnecessary griping, almost playing for the soundbite.

He doesn't have to be a sycophant but no need to be snarky about the franchise that basically is your career.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

2. Satipo

Satipo Force Ghost star 7

Mar 29, 2014
    He's supposed to be a bit of a dick from what little I've heard.

-Jedi Joe- and yassir.khan like this.
  3. Tatooine Twilight Twins

Tatooine Twilight Twins Jedi Grand Master star 4

May 1, 2014

Yeah, pretty much. Plus he is at a stage in his life (age wise) in which he gives even less a ::bleep::.

-Jedi Joe- and Satipo like this.
  4. Rookhelm

Rookhelm Jedi Master star 4

Sep 22, 2014
    Some scifi actors just aren't into scifi. They play in the movies, but without an actual interest in scifi, it can all seem kinda weird.

Take Ford's comment about "you can type this George, but you can't say it". None of us here would have any problem with a line about navicomputers and shields, but to a non sci-fi fan, it all sounds pretty dumb or confusing. Fantasy too, in fact.

TX-20 and Artoo-Dion like this.
  5. smudger9

smudger9 Jedi Grand Master star 4

May 29, 2007
    That's the impression I get. It also seemed to me that his dislike for Kenny Baker stemmed from the fact that he felt Kenny Baker was beneath him.

6. Howard Hand

Howard Hand Jedi Master star 4

Feb 11, 2015
    Maybe that's why. Star Wars probably took over his career. Everybody now knows him as "Threepio" and that probably helps prevent him from getting more serious roles. It's a double-edged coin.
    I sort of see where he's coming from.

7. CEB

CEB Force Ghost star 5

Dec 3, 2014
    Also, you have to look at the context of the interview - when being interviewed by the guardian, it's possible that he just doesn't want to come over as too gushing about what they (and maybe he) will see as being a silly kids film. Not that I agree with that - I think it's much better to have a bit of joy about what yu do, and if you're going to be in Star Wars all yur life, it'd be worthwhile getting into it a bit if you can.

At the end of the day though, it doesn't matter what he's like if the character works.

TX-20, TK327, Satipo and 1 other person like this.
  8. G-FETT

G-FETT Chosen One star 7

Aug 10, 2001

On the other hand though, look at someone like Ian Mcdiarmid - I mean, he combines (and embraces) perfectly well The Emperor and Star Wars with a glittering stage career and finds a way to be kind and considerate in all his interviews.

I don't think I've ever heard him say one negative thing about George, the franchise, the effects, etc... Even when he was clearly out of his comfort zone having to wield a lightsabre in ROTS he never said anything especially negative, infact he just used it as an opportunity to praise his stunt double and Samuel L Jackson...

If Anthony has been "defined" by 3PO it's because he's allowed himself to be so, IMO. Maybe he just isn't a very good actor and 3PO is all he's cut out for? If so, that's his problem, nobody else's.

9. CEB

CEB Force Ghost star 5

Dec 3, 2014
    To be fair though, Ian McDiarmid got to play the ultimate villain of the entire saga so far, getting to play the panto villain as well as the subtle manipulator, and even perfectly played the overconfident apprentice who thought he'd killed his master when he hadn't really*. For a serious actor, there's more to enjoy in that than in playing the fussy robot for forty years.

* just kidding, guys

Howard Hand likes this.
  10. Howard Hand

Howard Hand Jedi Master star 4

Feb 11, 2015
    You might be, but you make a pretty good point.

11. Master_Lok

Master_Lok Force Ghost star 6

Dec 18, 2012
    Daniels is cranky again. Some actors who are remembered for one role alone go through that stage at some point or another. Hamill did too about 20 years ago, but he was 100% gracious to the fans who had their Luke pictures for him to sign. (That was when a dear former friend and myself interviewed him. We did not bring up Star Wars because he did not want to discuss it.) It is neat he's come around and appreciates it now (removing the obvious paycheck and opened doors acting-wise.)

So many actors would love to be remembered for one iconic role. There are still some who resent it to the very last. What are you going to do...

If I ever met Daniels and he was impolite, I'd say:

"Oh switch off!" [face_phbbbbt]

12. Pro Scoundrel

Pro Scoundrel New Films Expert At Modding Casual star 6 Staff Member Manager

Nov 20, 2012
    So anyway, about that JJ guy......

Dewback likes this.
  13. Darth PJ

Darth PJ Force Ghost star 6

Jul 31, 2013
    He really is...

Satipo likes this.
  14. Satipo

Mar 29, 2014
    I've also heard R2 is not his biggest fan either.

hippie1kenobi likes this.
  15. Darth PJ

Jul 31, 2013
    I think the difference being is that Daniels is one of the first on the convention circuit. He's one of the first willing to be interviewed etc. These people have to earn a living... and I'd certainly prefer an honest and frank opinion from them... but I think he's a tad disingenuous about certain things.

Satipo likes this.
  16. Darth PJ

Jul 31, 2013
    And Kenny Baker is a really nice fella (IMO).

Satipo likes this.
  17. Satipo

Mar 29, 2014
    That matches what I heard.

Darth PJ likes this.
  18. entourage

entourage Jedi Knight star 3

Oct 18, 2014
    PymParticles and TX-20 like this.
  19. Luminous Beings Are We

Luminous Beings Are We Jedi Knight star 3

Jun 10, 2014

Kind of like how the roles of Ben Kenobi and Wedge Antilles overshadowed Sir Alec Guinness and Denis Lawson's prolific careers, respectively. Both seemed bothered by and/or bored with the iconic success of their characters.

20. AndyLGR

AndyLGR Jedi Grand Master star 4

May 1, 2014
    Maybe AD is just giving his honest take on his experiences of working on the PT in comparison to the OT. Nothing wrong with that. Whether we agree or disagree it's his right to say it and what's he's like as a person doesn't invalidate his opinion, surely he's the best placed to say it too as he experienced it. Granted he's made a fantastic life out of SW but he's the one potentially putting his own neck on the block by criticising it. Leave him to it I say. To me it sounds more like he's following the precedence established by TBTB on TFA by emphasising the more practical aspect.

TX-20 and Satipo like this.
  21. Darth PJ

Jul 31, 2013
    Sure, but I also think it's important to take a step back and look objectively at such comments i.e. don't take them at face value... because they ultimately provide as little real insight into anything (in terms of the actual films and our thoughts on them) as Alec Guinness' or Harrison Ford's (prior to TFA) did.

TX-20, AndyLGR and Satipo like this.
  22. AndyLGR

AndyLGR Jedi Grand Master star 4

May 1, 2014
    100% agree, which is why I don't get the minor storm surrounding them. He's posting about his experiences of how the films were made that he was involved in, he's not coming out and saying how great TFA is and how crap so and so is. But TBH I think the only opinion that counts when you go to see a film is be your own as we will make our own minds up.

yassir.khan and Darth PJ like this.
  23. Krueger

Krueger Chosen One star 5

Aug 9, 2004
    He was to me and my brother when I got his autograph. I was about twelve or thirteen, excited that I was finally meeting C3-PO, and all he could do was visibly rush (by waving his hand) me and my brother to spell out our names quickly. My dad was standing behind us, and he wasn’t pleased. I could tell he wanted to say something.

Darth PJ and Satipo like this.
  24. darthgator1217

darthgator1217 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Apr 25, 2005
    What I find amusing is that Abrams seems to get so much praise for having accomplished relatively little. What has he actually done? In my mind, he mucked up Star Trek, turning it into a brainless spectacle, for example. Is it because he embraces the original trilogy and dismisses the prequels? The problem I have with Abrams is that the more one thinks about his work, the worse it becomes. What gives me hope for TFA is that Kasdan is one of the writers. Also, Abrams should be able to hack old school Lucas pretty well.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using Tapatalk

Darth PJ likes this.
  25. Dewback

Dewback Force Ghost star 4

Jul 18, 1998
    Never meet your heroes.

Krueger likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.