main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

ST JJ Abrams to direct Episode VII

Discussion in 'Sequel Trilogy' started by Kuestmaster, Jan 24, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Darth PJ

Darth PJ Force Ghost star 6

Jul 31, 2013
    I'd agree with that, although as someone who is an avid ST fan, I'm not sure many ST fans think the show/films should be about 'science', but exploration certianly should be (IMO)... and at its best ST was about that, whether it was the exploration of the cosmos or of the human condition, I think ST did have that at its centre.

2. Hoth Chocolate

Hoth Chocolate Jedi Knight star 2

Nov 21, 2015
  3. Avnar

Avnar Force Ghost star 4

Sep 20, 2007
    From what I have seen this guy looks like he has knocked it out of the park! The problem now is if it does end up being REALLY good I would hope he would do the whole ST!

Artoo-Dion likes this.
  4. Hoth Chocolate

Hoth Chocolate Jedi Knight star 2

Nov 21, 2015

Here's the link if anyone wants to watch it, but nothing new revealed and nothing interesting was discussed. He didn't share secrets despite what the URL says. :(
    http://abcnews.go.com/GMA/video/jj-abrams-shares-secrets-force-awakens-35487119

dan1210 likes this.
  5. Chained Prometheus

Chained Prometheus Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jul 24, 2013

Ford and Kurosawa definitely come with the territory for Star Wars, but I was pretty surprised and impressed that Abrams turned to Malick for influence too. It's that sort of influence that I think helps give TFA its "Classic, but Up-to-Date" look.

I don't know how much it still applies for whatever Rian Johnson will do with Episode VIII, but I was just as impressed last year with his comments about looking at the old Russian survival film, Letter Never Sent, for influence too. Between that film and some of Rian's other noted favorites (Fellini's 8 1/2 and Gilliam's Brazil), I think VIII is going to be an equally stunning film visually, though also pretty different too.

FRAGWAGON and Pro Scoundrel like this.
  6. Shakez

Shakez Jedi Master star 3

Aug 22, 2014
  7. Qui-Riv-Brid

Qui-Riv-Brid Force Ghost star 5

Apr 18, 2013
    Using those descriptors I would call the PT Fast and heavy, the OT "slow" and light heavy the ST should probably be a mix between the two as presumably the younger generation are being trained by those who don't exactly know the older ways (or don't employ them due to training being different and more haphazard in many ways).

In terms of pure behind the scenes storytelling and the mechanics of it all there simply was no room in for Vader or Luke to kill each other. When you only have 3 combatants total it's totally different from having 9 major ones and be able to actually decisively end the duels.

Are Kylo Ren and Rey going to be the only 2 outside of Luke and even presuming Snoke? Can we take Finn seriously as a future candidate or is that simply a distraction for TFA?

Either way the real question is how many major Force users/Lighsaber wielders are there going to be to create various match-ups and in what way do those forward the story?

Presuming that we can take both Rey and Kylo Ren seriously and that they are in all 3 movies then even if they do meet in VIII then nothing decisive will happen in terms of finality.

8. JabbatheHumanBeing

JabbatheHumanBeing Jedi Grand Master star 6

Jul 14, 2015
    OK...So you're saying that the lightsabers/ lightsaber duels in the PT had a "heavier" feel than in the OT?

If so, are you sure you're living in the same reality as the rest of us? ;)

9. phatdude1138

phatdude1138 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Feb 2, 2005
  10. Qui-Riv-Brid

Qui-Riv-Brid Force Ghost star 5

Apr 18, 2013
    Yes. Fast and heavy compared to "slow" and light heavy.

A reality in which multiple combatants are being killed and-or run-through or sliced from hands to arms, to heads, to limbs to bodies is considered heavier than one combatant disappearing into the air and another losing his hand.

Yes.

Hence the distinction.

So Luke's hand on one scale and then Qui-Gon's body, Maul's two parts, Anakin's arm, Dooku's arms and head (plus body) Mace's hand and Anakin's limbs as well.

11. AloneinSpace

AloneinSpace Jedi Knight star 3

Oct 21, 2015
    So this clears what he meant:
    "The thing that got me was a new, young character ... asking 'who is Luke Skywalker?'"

12. Luukeskywalker

Luukeskywalker Force Ghost star 5

Jun 23, 1999
    I listened to entire interview. JJ is such a class act. Interesting interview. But Howard Stern once again tries to harp on how "bad" the prequels were several times here and also went as far as trying to getting JJ to admit that Disney didn't want Lucas anywhere near the making of the movie because he screwed up the last 3 so bad.

JJ actually stuck up for George and said that couldn't be any further from the truth and George has been great and helpful through the whole process and then once again reiterated that TFA was made to stand on the shoulders of all of the movies that Lucas made (insinuating that the prequels were part of what they respected and considered cannon when making the new movie).

Sent from my SM-N910P using Tapatalk

13. Random Comments

Random Comments Jedi Grand Master star 5

Sep 25, 2012
    They're talking about the weight and physical motion of wielding the saber, not the amount of violence.
    Hence everyone's confusion at your posts.

14. Howard Hand

Howard Hand Jedi Master star 4

Feb 11, 2015
    What a class act! Though I'm sure the people in "the board that shall not be named" will still find a way to twist this against J.J.

15. DashRender90

DashRender90 Jedi Knight star 2

Aug 20, 2015

"Well of course he says that, he's doing a rehash of George's work! He's a shallow company man trotting out all of Lucas' greatest hits with a nice sheen and selling the same thing back to audiences! Say what you will about the prequels(flawed masterpieces imo), but at least they were different!"

16. I Are The Internets

I Are The Internets Shelf of Shame Host star 9 VIP - Game Host

Nov 20, 2012
    We have a Voldemort board?

17. Satipo

Satipo Force Ghost star 7

Mar 29, 2014
    Of course they will.

Artoo-Dion and Howard Hand like this.
  18. SkywalkerOG

SkywalkerOG Jedi Knight star 3

Sep 19, 2014
    JJ Abrams probly loves appreciates and understands GLs art more then most of us on the boards. So let's chill out on "JJ hates GL" none sense they are friends and peers and both respect each other. They have a real life friendship and that's between them

19. DaddlerTheDalek

DaddlerTheDalek Jedi Master star 4

Aug 31, 2014
  20. A Chorus of Disapproval

A Chorus of Disapproval Head Admin & TV Screaming Service star 10 Staff Member Administrator

Aug 19, 2003
    We are not in a pissing contest with the regulars in the PT forum. Time for people to actually act as advanced or enlightened as they attempt to pass themselves off as in their posts.

21. ThreeDeathstickProblem

ThreeDeathstickProblem Force Ghost star 5

Sep 25, 2014
  22. Darkslayer

Darkslayer #2 Sabine Wren Fan star 7

Mar 26, 2013
    Is there anything in the PT that hasn't been nitpicked so it could be called absolutely terrible at this point? Never until I entered the internet did I see people complaining about the PT lightsaber duels. I am not calling anyone a bad person or anything - but will this ever end?

FRAGWAGON, Bowen and Force22 like this.
  23. yassir.khan

yassir.khan Jedi Master star 4

Nov 27, 2014
  24. ThreeDeathstickProblem

ThreeDeathstickProblem Force Ghost star 5

Sep 25, 2014
    Yeesh Steven. You could have a little enthusiasm. ;)

25. Stoneymonster

Stoneymonster Force Ghost star 4

May 8, 2002
    Pro Scoundrel likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.