main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

ST JJ Abrams to direct Episode VII

Discussion in 'Sequel Trilogy' started by Kuestmaster, Jan 24, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Thrawn082

Thrawn082 Force Ghost star 6

Jan 11, 2014
    Spielberg and JJ are friends (also JJ is something of a Spielberg protégé). So I'm not surprised that he'd say that.

2. GregMcP

GregMcP Force Ghost star 5

Jul 7, 2015
    Well, I like my Sci Fi, and I like my Star Wars, and I fully expect the film to be quite good, mixed with a warm feeling of nostalgia, but there will have been deeper, "better" films made.

Gimme Tarantino's opinion.

3. yassir.khan

yassir.khan Jedi Master star 4

Nov 27, 2014
    Of course, I don't believe it will be the greatest movie ever made; after all Speilberg said similar things about the prequels....but it's still nice to hear of his enthusiasm.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Satipo likes this.
  4. SkywalkerOG

SkywalkerOG Jedi Knight star 3

Sep 19, 2014
    Will this be the film JJ Abrams is remembered for? Spielberg seems to think so the closer we get the more I realize how much this movie means to the world. I really hope JJ delivers all signs are pointing that way but man this could really be his MOMENT…

5. Satipo

Satipo Force Ghost star 7

Mar 29, 2014
    He actually says "le plus grand" which means biggest not greatest.

6. hippie1kenobi

hippie1kenobi Force Ghost star 4

Apr 28, 2002
    Yeah, I would like to see a source that hasn't translated it twice before being posted on a blog before I get excited.

7. PymParticles

PymParticles Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Oct 1, 2014
    I wish sites would stop misquoting/mistranslating his statement, because "It's going to be the most bestest movie ever made I swear to God" makes him sound very sycophantic.

I also think that while it's possible to qualify good films vs. bad films (while still possible to enjoy the latter and dislike the former), it's impossible to qualify what the best film ever made is, just as it's impossible to state what the best novel, painting, sculpture, etc. is, but that's just my lousy opinion.

hippie1kenobi likes this.
  8. Artoo-Dion

Artoo-Dion Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 9, 2009
    Would have been great if Spielberg's PT raves were poor translations. Instead of TPM being like all your Christmases at once, it could have been, "The Episode I is like the biggest turkey ready to be served!"

9. Qui-Riv-Brid

Qui-Riv-Brid Force Ghost star 5

Apr 18, 2013
    I am to in part but it's about multiple things.

As for weight of that sort obviously well all see it our own particular way.

As Lucas himself said in the OT we saw old men and droid men and half-trained boys not the Jedi (and Sith for that matter) at their prime. The ability meld the blade and combatant into one is and really should be without parallel at the end of the Republic. Rey and Ren should be nowhere near that stage yet.

10. Bazookaleffe

Bazookaleffe Jedi Master star 2

Apr 30, 2014
    I watched Star Trek from 2009 for the 5th time or so. It's one hell of a good movie.

11. Ligenot

Ligenot Jedi Knight star 2

Nov 27, 2014
    http://screenrant.com/top-ten-movies-2013-gravity-conjuring-quentin-tarantino/

The Lone Ranger (Gore Verbinski)

Tarantino's opinion counts for gluten without Mayo.

12. PymParticles

PymParticles Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Oct 1, 2014
    Yeah, Tarantino makes great movies, but he likes some really bad ones. I think that's a good thing, though. He takes what's of value in those films and he incorporates them into his own. "Good artists borrow, great artists steal" and all that.

TX-20 and JabbatheHumanBeing like this.
  13. Pliolite

Pliolite Jedi Master star 3

May 3, 2014
    I find most of it an amazing update of movie Trek, getting the balance just right, though the last act lets it down slightly. Still, if TFA is along the lines of Trek '09 I am down with that. Though we already know it visually surpasses the work done there! As for dialogue, performances etc we shall see...

14. Krueger

Krueger Chosen One star 5

Aug 9, 2004
    Yes, but after having watched a rough cut of Transformers 2 in a private screening with Michael Bay, Spielberg exclaimed that it was “####### AWESOME”. So yeah.

Flapjack4 and Hoth Chocolate like this.
  15. Hoth Chocolate

Hoth Chocolate Jedi Knight star 2

Nov 21, 2015

I'm getting a little off-topic here I have to mention Ebert's opening line in his review for this, it's one of my faves.

To get back on topic, don't forget to check out our boy JJ on Fallon tonight!

16. JediAce1

JediAce1 Force Ghost star 5

May 8, 2014
    I think through the translation from French they mixed up 'greatest' for 'biggest'

17. Random Comments

Random Comments Jedi Grand Master star 5

Sep 25, 2012
    No, but the entire discussion was about the physical fighting style. The actors in the OT were told to wield the sabers like they were heavy. In the PT, like they were lighter. And, regardless of value judgement, there's a significant and obvious difference of approach this causes, in a similar way that the fast/slow distinction affects the choreography. And they were talking about how the ST choreography might unite and blend these two styles.
    So nobody was talking about the /level of violence/ except you.
    But anyway, that quote of Lucas' is nonsensical, since the prequels feature Yoda, Dooku, Palpatine, etc., all of whom are older than Kenobi, and Grevious, who is more machine than Vader, fighting in the PT style.
    And Ren could have had decades of practice for all we know.

Satipo likes this.
  18. Bowen

Bowen Force Ghost star 5

Sep 6, 1999

Yeah I already went over this argument in another thread, and it gets very tiresome. "Best" has no place in film discourse or any art discourse whatsoever, except, "In a poll of art critics, such and such painting received the highest ratings overall and was deemed the best."

Your best and my best are two very different things. The six Star Wars movies are the best movies ever made, for me, because they are my favorite movies. I don't care about someone else's opinion as it makes absolutely no difference to my life. No amount of argumentation will ever change my mind. Beyond that, I've run a critical review site with more than 700 film reviews, I've studied film in school, I've directed my own movie that I also wrote, I work in the film industry and the media industry, and I appreciate a wide range of films from film noir, Soviet formalist classics, German expressionist movies, French New Wave, American classics, musicals, sci-fi, drama, comedy, you name it, I like it. The reason I say that is because people love to say, "WELL, if you have really seen the true classics of the past, you would never think the Star Wars movies are the best movies." No, YOU wouldn't, I DO! I've seen Citizen Kane, I've seen The 400 Blows, I've seen it all, and yes, I still prefer the Star Wars movies to any other movies.

There's something to be said for 6 movies that I've watched more than 100 times each and still love, movies that inspired me to become a filmmaker, to become a writer, that enlighten every day because of my excitement for the franchise and for The Force Awakens, etc. How is Citizen Kane a better movie than any Star Wars movie if it doesn't actually inspire me to achieve great things, doesn't give me that giddy feeling inside, doesn't really do more than just provide a nice viewing experience every 5-7 years? So sorry, keep your critically acclaimed classics. I'll take my Star Wars!

19. Darkslayer

Darkslayer #2 Sabine Wren Fan star 7

Mar 26, 2013
    And me. Because whatever his opinion is, mine will be the opposite. It is unavoidable [face_laugh]

El Jedi Colombiano likes this.
  20. StarKiller81

StarKiller81 Jedi Master star 3

Nov 19, 2014
    J.J. will be on the Tonight Show tonight.

21. A Chorus of Disapproval

A Chorus of Disapproval Head Admin & TV Screaming Service star 10 Staff Member Administrator

Aug 19, 2003
    Is this finally out of your system or should I help you out of our system?

Darkslayer, JoshieHewls and Bowen like this.
  22. Artoo-Dion

Artoo-Dion Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 9, 2009
    It was a joke about how poor translations can twist someone's meaning. Yes, there was an additional bit of irony there, but I was really just having fun with words. Really. I don't even think TPM was a "turkey", though I'm sure you'd rather not hear me talk more about this.

23. TimeZone

TimeZone Jedi Knight star 1

Oct 29, 2015
    JJ truly is a Star Wars nerd just like the rest of us.

I hope he does well.

24. Jedi Dragon D

Jedi Dragon D Jedi Master star 4

Jan 24, 2013
    Anyone have a video of Tonight show appearance?

25. Bowen

Bowen Force Ghost star 5

Sep 6, 1999
    I wonder what exactly would be J.J.'s involvement in the next film. I know he has stated it's Rian's film, and he's not going to step on anyone's toes clearly, I was just wondering if he is at least helping "pass the baton" so to speak to make for a smooth transition, or if that more falls to Kathleen Kennedy as the overall wizard behind the curtain haha.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.