main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

ST JJ Abrams to direct Episode VII

Discussion in 'Sequel Trilogy' started by Kuestmaster, Jan 24, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Kyris Cavisek

Kyris Cavisek Jedi Knight star 4

Nov 12, 2012
    Well it is in it's final season and he doesn't have much to do with it anymore

2. phatdude1138

phatdude1138 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Feb 2, 2005
    My only hope from Abrams is Super 8, but mostly because in this scene you see Vader's Tie Fighter and what appears to be the bottom of the Millennium Falcon:
    [​IMG]

BoromirsFan likes this.
  3. Kyris Cavisek

Nov 12, 2012
    1. Revolution (He will step away probably)
    2. Person of Interest (Probably already hands off)
    3. Into the Darkness (It's on it's final fixings soon to be done)
    4. Wunderkind (OK yeah, this one might be a serious distraction)
    5. Believe (Probably only the plot and the synopsis of the season)
    6. Cloverfield 2 (That one has been planned forever and hasn't happened yet. Probably pushed back again)
    7. Mission Impossible 5 (Might only be the Executive Producer)
    8. Police Android Drama (Probably only the pilot and synopsis of the season)

So as you can see SW will be his focus, with Wunderkind maybe getting in the way. He will probably direct the pilots to his other shows and design a plot for them but thats about it. Wunderkind might get pushed back as well. And Cloverfield 2 might never happen. I know he wants to make it but he is in such high demand right now

4. Pro Scoundrel

Pro Scoundrel Modercreeper Is Always Watching star 6 Staff Member Manager

Nov 20, 2012
    Yeah, Super 8 is by far his best film, and that is indeed the Millennium Falcon.

5. Force_Wielder

Force_Wielder Jedi Master star 4

May 14, 2001
    Who cares what Howard Stern thinks? He puts naked chicks on the radio. On the radio! That's like taking a blind guy to a magic act...or taking a deaf guy to a ventriloquist show...or taking a mute guy to a, um, well...like putting naked people on the radio!

SoWizard likes this.
  6. Kyris Cavisek

Nov 12, 2012
    Pretty sure this was a replica of JJ's childhood bedroom. Where is the Enterprise? Oh wait, JJ doesn't like Star Trek. Mwahahahaha

BoromirsFan likes this.
  7. Pro Scoundrel

Pro Scoundrel Modercreeper Is Always Watching star 6 Staff Member Manager

Nov 20, 2012
    Low blow. :)

BoromirsFan likes this.
  8. Kyris Cavisek

Nov 12, 2012
    I know, don't care.

DarthBrian and BoromirsFan like this.
  9. SoWizard

SoWizard Jedi Master star 1

Nov 20, 2012
    Howard is a condescending jerkhole and a bully.

To expand upon my scruffy looking nerf herder comment earlier..
    Leia actually should have called Han a "Howard Stern." He was in fact, the "walking carpet" she was reffering to also. He could actually play Chewbacca's pervy dirtbag cousin in the ST.

This is now the Howard Stern hate thread.

10. phatdude1138

Feb 2, 2005
    Stop you guys!! You're actually giving me hope that Abrams may be able to pull this off!! ;)

Pro Scoundrel likes this.
  11. Poli-Sci Jedi

Poli-Sci Jedi Jedi Youngling star 1

Jan 27, 2013
    Honestly, I'm more concerned about the story than the lens flares. Abrams' films are fun, but they're a bit shallow. The Star Wars movies were imbued with philosophical and mythological meaning. Even Joseph Campbell, the master of myth, endorsed Star Wars as the modern mythology.

12. phatdude1138

Feb 2, 2005
    As far as Abrams directing Star Wars goes, I'm betting it ALL on his Super 8 credentials. IMO the Star Trek body of work is a negative. Star Trek was too hip and over stylized for my taste. It seemed cookie cutter summer blockbuster action film.

Super 8 really had me believing I was in the early 1980s. The attention to detail to the 1980s was close to perfect. I really felt I was back in time watching a sequel to E.T. THAT is the type of directing we need for EP7! Not trendy, flavor of the month blockbusters. I know some people will say "Phatdude, what does making a movie look like the 80s have to do with EP7?", it shows that Abrams is capable of filming and conforming to a particular style.

However Super 8 isn't perfect, I agree to with the poster that said the ending wasn't very good. Plot wise it was a very good "love story", just with a scary alien thrown in with no known purpose. Also the over use of lens flair... ;)

13. BigAl6ft6

BigAl6ft6 Chosen One star 8

Nov 12, 2012
    Super 8 looks more like a Steven Spielberg movie with a J.J. Abrams touches on the fringes as opposed to how MI:3 and Star Trek look, and should, like distinctive JJ Abrams movies. That's a good sign for Star Wars. Like I said a few pages back, the odd JJ flair (or flare) would be nice to see but not as extreme handheld like Star Trek (which I think works perfectly fine in Star Trek - alternate universe and all. I could live with one or two handheld shaky cam shots in Star Wars but certainly not an overabundance of them.)

Kyris Cavisek likes this.
  14. phatdude1138

Feb 2, 2005
    I think the handheld shake has to be an all or nothing when it comes to filming. Like cloverfield and blair witch, it was purposeful as the characters were carrying a camcorder/camera. When you film a movie 95% in a certain non-shaky style, adding it for a few scenes seem unnatural and throw the fluidity of the movie off. I'm for NO camera shake. Lens flare should only be used when two lightsabers meet. So JJ doesn't have to part with lens flare, he just has to add more lightsaber battles :)

15. phatdude1138

Feb 2, 2005
    Me too, the story is definitely more important, but a lot of that lies with Arndt. That's what has me worried. We are so worried about Abrams, that no ones worrying about what the writer Michael Arndt is doing! To me, when it comes to Star Wars, the WRITING is way more important than the shooting, for the exact reasons you mentioned: the philosophical and mythological... The writing is the core of the film. Hopefully Arndt is using Lucas' outlines.

16. yggdrasil311

yggdrasil311 Jedi Master star 3

Oct 7, 2004
    OPIE & Anthony, Ron & Fez.

The best thing going today!

How about a "person likes new director/aspect of movie announced" thread?

Howard Stern stinks now

17. phatdude1138

Feb 2, 2005
    Ha ha, I use too much energy defending Lucas and the PT here, I don't have any extra to defend Stern. But if I do hear any Abrams interviews on his channels (that have to do with EP7) I'll be sure to post them.

SoWizard likes this.
  18. Poli-Sci Jedi

Jan 27, 2013
    True. Arndt actually makes me more comfortable. His reputation seems pretty solid. Also, Lawrence Kasdan is coming back as a consultant, so I think the script will be fine. The way these things often go is that the director/producer has a story (in this case, Lucas already has story treatments), and the scriptwriter just writes it out. In these types of movies the director always has a big influence over the stories and has final approval over the script. And the director determines how to tell that story. I think that's why I think the focus is on him and not Arndt.

19. Poli-Sci Jedi

Jan 27, 2013
    I hate the shaky camera effect. I just watched BattleStar Galactica and found it really distracting.

20. BoromirsFan

BoromirsFan Jedi Master star 4

May 16, 2010
    I just hope obvious aspects from Abrams work doesn't pile into VII.

I was laughing when Michelle monaghan was desperately trying to revive tom cruise in MI3, because it was exactly the way they brought back charlie in lost season 1.

I also hope VII doesn't have an abrupt cliffhanger like recent franchise films ala Deathly hallows part 1, Breaking Dawn part 1, An unexpected journey, etc.

I feel like all star wars EPISODES should stand on their own and not be a half film. ESB may have had a cliffhanger but it felt like it was time to wrap up when the cliffhanger came. It wasn't abrupt.

21. Kyris Cavisek

Nov 12, 2012
    I honestly think the JJ having them run around the Enterprise and the shaky cam and lens flares was just to keep attention. I mean if we left Star Trek with out the spoofs, it would have been so short. Having the whole Scotty stuck in the blue water tubes was a great way to kill time, Having McCoy and Kirk with the bloated face killed time. Ect...

In a movie that takes place mostly aboard a ship it was too boring for JJ so they ran around the ship just to keep it interesting.

22. Kyris Cavisek

Nov 12, 2012
    I completely agree, I get why Harry Potter had to do 2 parts but Breaking Dawn doesn't need 2 parts, Hobbit doesn't need 3, and the last Hunger Games doesn't need 2. I think it is cheap and is just a way to get the loyal fan to pay twice the money in the theater.

But I think the Episodes will be stories that stand on their own as well .I wouldn't lose sleep over that probability

23. BigAl6ft6

BigAl6ft6 Chosen One star 8

Nov 12, 2012
    BSG & 24 basically handheld every single shot. The "Lost" pilot is a nice mix, I think a handheld cam could be a cool thing in a Star Wars movie (think a tight, confined space - with lightsabers!) but maybe just for a sequence. There is technically "handheld" in the Geonosis battle in AOTC for a shot or two when the Clones are mucking it up on the ground. That I can dig, just to toss in there. When it starts to be a stylistic thing, I think that would distract from how Star Wars movies should look. But a sequence? Hey, go nuts!

24. phatdude1138

Feb 2, 2005
    Kasdan is the key for me. My only fear is it appears a lot of the movies that Arndt writes have some underlying sadness or sad ending. I know a lot of folks want or like a sad ending, but that saying "be careful what you wish for" comes to mind. Even though ESB and ROTS have technicaly "sad" endings, there ALWAYS is a underlying theme of "hope" in Star Wars, which is what I always liked. In the original write of ROTJ Lando and the Falcon weren't supposed to make it out of the Death Star. Looking back, I'm gald that didn't happen! If it did we wouldn't have either of them for EP7!!

I'm hoping that is the type of final say Abrams will have. As a fan, if he looks at Arndt's plot and sees it's too serious or too depressing, he adds a pop of funny or happy to it.

25. Kyris Cavisek

Nov 12, 2012
    Toy Story had it's sad parts, but I would argue he did nostalgic well too. Andy passing on the toys was a beautiful scene and basically is what we will see in Star Wars, George Lucas passing all of his toys over to the young generation, then holding on to Luke and being like, I might want to keep this one, but ultimately handing it over...

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.