main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

ST JJ Abrams to direct Episode VII

Discussion in 'Sequel Trilogy' started by Kuestmaster, Jan 24, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. krtmd

krtmd Jedi Master star 4

Sep 5, 2012
  2. KED12345

KED12345 Jedi Master star 4

Sep 10, 2012
    Abrams is a Star Wars fan, not a Trek fan. This article convinces me there's no other person better for the role, he really seems to understand the story of Star Wars, and respects the Star Wars prequels for what they are. He will get Episode VII right.

Vastor, Vale Man and Kyris Cavisek like this.
  3. Diggs

Diggs Jedi Master star 4

Oct 31, 2012
    Great link. This for me is the key quote. He gets it.

My favorite thing about Star Wars is the ability to tell an incredibly personal, intimate, and emotional story against a backdrop of conflict and battle that’s planetary and massive. What I would love to see is a story about characters that I am desperately entertained by and definitely care about, and keep that story as focused as possible and make more of that than the pyrotechnics of it all which to me is what makes Star Wars so brilliant.

4. Vale Man

Vale Man Jedi Youngling star 1

Jan 24, 2013
    It would be great if Abrams did a short animated story on how Imperial Stormtroopers dealt with the Gungans as illustrated in my Avatar. Just as a teaser y'know.

5. Pro Scoundrel

Pro Scoundrel Modercreeper Is Always Watching star 6 Staff Member Manager

Nov 20, 2012
    Where'd you find that Avatar? That's hilarious!

Kyris Cavisek likes this.
  6. Krueger

Krueger Chosen One star 5

Aug 9, 2004
    Reading that blog entry is quite creepy, actually. All those old quotes. Does fate exist? I don't know. But it really looks as though JJ Abrams was meant to breathe new life into the Star Wars franchise. Here's hoping he bloody succeeds (I'm sure he will).

7. Vale Man

Vale Man Jedi Youngling star 1

Jan 24, 2013
    On the force.net's facebook. I'm sure it was. I'd pay serious money to see a movie consisting solely of that. Ha,ha

Pro Scoundrel likes this.
  8. Samayel_

Samayel_ Jedi Master star 2

Sep 26, 2012
  9. Darth Claire

Darth Claire Force Ghost star 5

Dec 21, 2012
    I like this guy....he's adorable sometimes. Now we just need to track him down and force him to answer the questions we all want to know....mainly if the original cast is returning. Show no mercy, fanboys.

10. PiettsHat

PiettsHat Force Ghost star 4

Jan 1, 2011
    To be honest, I think this one quote is most emblematic of the gap between some of the older fans and some of the newer fans:

“I was probably most affected by the end of the film [ROTS] when we are returned to some of the sets on the ship that we see in the first
    Star Wars
    movie, Episode IV,” Abrams says. “I was surprised by how good it felt to be home. Given all of the scope and scale of everything that had come before, there was something incredibly satisfying and warm and fuzzy about being back in those white hallways that sort of rekindled the feeling you had when you saw the
    Stars Wars
    universe for the first time.”

For me, at least, I could never describe ROTS in such a manner. It was just such a bundle of emotional torque (in movie terms at least) that I would never say the ending was "satisfying" or "warm and funny." It kind of sounds absurd to me to hear the ending described that way, when you basically see everyone die, go into exile, or be immolated.

11. DarthBrian

DarthBrian Jedi Grand Master star 4

Apr 9, 2002
    I like the EU just fine. I just don't want it cluttering my movies based on George's outlines from 35 years ago. :p

I especially don't want the Yuuzhan Vong in it, who were and still are a terrible idea.

Episode Swag and stormcloud8 like this.
  12. Jedi Dragon D

Jedi Dragon D Jedi Master star 4

Jan 24, 2013
  13. Motterman

Motterman Jedi Grand Master star 2

Dec 22, 2000
    That one guy blew his own brains out after watching Attack of the Clones.

vinsanity likes this.
  14. hear+soul

hear+soul Jedi Master star 6

Nov 5, 2004
    I know someone has probly already said this, since I'm jumping in at 84 pages deep, but I love how this is connecting Star Wars and Star Treck in an inextricable way. They will now both be part of Abrams' body of work- to decidedly be compared and shared. They're basically making the jump to bro-speed. :p

I also thought it would be hilarious (though, very sad)- if JJ bailed like way late in the process and kind of screwed over the project as like the ultimate Treckie dagger. haha

15. Episode Swag

Episode Swag Jedi Knight star 1

Jan 9, 2013
    This guy sounds pretty awesome to me! The only thing I really am worried about is when he says that knowing too much of a character ruins the mystery of said character. While yes this is true, that doesn't mean that it's a bad thing to get to know characters that we don't know much about. It can be interesting if done right.

16. Jabbadabbado

Jabbadabbado Manager Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Mar 19, 1999
    Someday, J.J.Abrams will have a box office hit, and we'll know whether he's qualified to direct a Star Wars movie.

17. Bobatron

Bobatron Jedi Master star 4

Sep 3, 2012
    I was looking for that; I couldn't remember where I saw it.

18. Bobatron

Bobatron Jedi Master star 4

Sep 3, 2012
    Those quotes end at 2008. It could continue to include many times STAR WARS was specifically referenced as an inspiration of his Star Trek movie on the DVD's commentary track and featurette.
    I'm looking forward to seeing the combination of nods to classic STAR WARS and trademarks and quirks of J.J. Abrams's stuff without much...razzle dazzle. [face_mischief]

19. LawJedi

LawJedi Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jan 11, 2009
    Well it turned out alright for that poor chap who made Serenity.

20. hear+soul

hear+soul Jedi Master star 6

Nov 5, 2004
    yo man that dude at 49:55 has the squeakiest wheels ever. haha c'mon dog! that cart was a bad choice!!! he's cool with it.

21. ezekiel22x

ezekiel22x Chosen One star 5

Aug 9, 2002
    Yeah, that stood out to me too. Kind of makes him sound like a perfect pick for the prequels suck crowd if a hallway from the original film was the most affecting portion of ROTS for him. Oh well, not like I was expecting anything like the rumination sequence from Abrams even before I read that bit.

22. Luukeskywalker

Luukeskywalker Force Ghost star 5

Jun 23, 1999
    Nah. He seemed to speak highly of ROTS and Anakins fall.

23. DowClimber

DowClimber Jedi Padawan

Jan 26, 2013
    I agree. It's clear that he grew up with the OT and feels more connection to it than the PT. However, a lot of people in this demographic are the "prequels suck" people. I like that he's still very respectful and appreciative of the PT, even though he's definitely an OT guy.

TheManFromMortis likes this.
  24. ManaByte

ManaByte Chosen One star 5

Aug 20, 1998
    JJ isn't on Twitter. There's fake accounts, but not him.

25. phatdude1138

phatdude1138 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Feb 2, 2005
    It may not actually "be him", but is did come from "Bad Robot" (twitter verified)

https://twitter.com/bad_robot

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.