main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

ST JJ Abrams to direct Episode VII

Discussion in 'Sequel Trilogy' started by Kuestmaster, Jan 24, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Luukeskywalker

Luukeskywalker Force Ghost star 5

Jun 23, 1999
    While I am sure the sequel trilogy scripts will be better than the PT scripts, since we are talking about Arnt who is an Oscar winner and nominee for two seperate movies. But I disagree about Star Trek. I think JJ did fine with it for what it was, but the script writer is not going to be the same for Ep7, and no way was Trek better than the prequels, ROTS especially.

2. TheStorm

TheStorm Jedi Grand Master star 4

Apr 8, 2002
    I disagree with that whole heartily. The reason the PT gets slammed is because of mediocre film making. George himself admits to not being the best director (especially when it comes to anything with characters, and not the best screen writer.) I think with some one like Ardt/JJ on board, you will get much higher quality of film making. I think in the end the ST will be actually pretty well received. I think the PT will be seen like the Roger Moore era of Bond.

I've seen the most push back from hardcore PT defenders. I think subconsciously some of them fear that with this new trilogy it will make the flaws stand out even more so with the PT. I did not care for the PT, it has it's good things here and there. I don't really care for them but I'm not some avid hater of them either that runs around screaming how bad they are to get attention. But I do see some hardcore PT defenders that seem to be more critical of it, and I kinda find it ironic.

I just have a feeling about Episode VII that I have not felt since Fellowship with LOTR, or The Dark Knight. I just think these guys are going to make it something very special.

3. Luukeskywalker

Luukeskywalker Force Ghost star 5

Jun 23, 1999
    Its a shame people can't realise that "something very special" was indeed already made about 8 years ago in the form of Revenge of the Sith. I have no doubt that something very special very well could be on the way since JJ is a good filmmaker and Arnt is one of the best screenwriters going right now, but its already been done recently with Star Wars.

4. Figrin D'aniel

Figrin D'aniel Jedi Master star 2

Jan 12, 2013
    I just now found this. [face_laugh]

5. TheStorm

Apr 8, 2002
    Well that is your opinion. To me ROTS was nothing special at all, it really did not make some social impact like the OT did, and for you to say people can't realize it....is because it was not an impact. It was maybe to you but not the people at large or even the fans at large. To me ROTS was just more over use of CGI terrible dialogue which accumulated with poor characterization throughout the PT, and mediocre directing. It was films like LOTR and TDK that really became the talk of the past decade, because they were well made enjoyable films to most people out there, critics, fans and the general audience. So ROTS was not as special to the masses. But if it was to you great, there is nothing wrong with that to eaches own. I agree ROTS was the best or the PT, and I enjoy it for what it was, but to me it did not have the power of the OT behind it.

But I think Episode VII has the possibility to bring Star Wars mania to a peak again.

6. Obi-Wan21

Obi-Wan21 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Aug 27, 2002
    TDK wasn't a well made film, and that's the real kicker, it's all opinion. ROTS was just as good as any of the films. Honestly, I would rather watch the prequels over Star Trek or any of the new, absurd Batman films. I love LOTR as much as I loved the PT. ROTS exploded with the masses as far I saw saw when it came out. Everyone was talking about the transformation into Vader, Anakin's fall, it's all I heard. I still hear how the prequels changed the way people saw the original films. Its impact will be felt on the Saga forever.

7. DarthBoba

DarthBoba Manager Emeritus star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 29, 2000
    We have a whole forum devoted to the prequels. Please discuss the prequels there.

Jedi Merkurian likes this.
  8. TheStorm

Apr 8, 2002
    EDIT: Well I won't go into it if no PT talk in here. But I would say there is a lot on the other pages you should look at and delete then. I do have to ask if is it because I stated negative opinions on the PT?

9. DarthBoba

Jun 29, 2000
    No. It's because this is the Episode 7 forum.

10. TheStorm

Apr 8, 2002
    Fair enough. I just have noticed a lot of PT talk here and there on these forums so I Figured it would not be a problem.

11. DarthBoba

Jun 29, 2000
    Strictly speaking, it's off-topic. I can't be everywhere, though. :p

12. Jedi Dragon D

Jedi Dragon D Jedi Master star 4

Jan 24, 2013
    I need to see more Lost based Star Wars mashups. There just aren't too many good ones out there.

13. TheStorm

Apr 8, 2002
    No worries.

14. Echo-07

Echo-07 Jedi Master star 4

Nov 9, 2012
    I'm psyched. I went ot the library today and picked up the Trek reboot. Bought a pair of high density UV protective sunglasses and now I'm ready to re-watch it. j/k

Seriously though, I'm going to re-watch Trek tonight now that it's relevent.

15. SaberTheMoment

SaberTheMoment Jedi Youngling

Jan 29, 2013
    Even if that were true it wouldn't change anything. There will still be a large amount of complaining about the new film and this will no doubt take considerable heat off of the PT. Because honestly Lucas' "mediocre film making" in ANH doesn't seem to draw much ire these days (when it comes to "fandom" anyway-critics and film historians tend to view the matter a bit differently). And believe me If you think it's harder to nitpick episodes 4-6 than their successors then you haven't tried. Mike Stoklasa could easily burn another 6-8 hours taking them apart if he really wanted to. That just happens not to be where "geek culture" is at the moment. But these things move in cycles and ep7 will probably shift the discussion quite a bit.

16. DarthBoba

Jun 29, 2000
    Let's keep the prequels/OT/other people discussion to their forums, please.

17. Julius Vernon

Julius Vernon Jedi Knight star 3

Nov 7, 2012
    Last weekend I watched Super 8. This weekend I was thinking of watching Trek, but it doesn't look like I'll have time (my son and I are currently hitting some Last Airbender Season 2). My wife and I are rewatching Alias too.

Echo-07 likes this.
  18. SaberTheMoment

SaberTheMoment Jedi Youngling

Jan 29, 2013
    Sorry. Your previous warning popped up between the time I stared my rebuttal and when I posted it. I take way too much time typing these things.

19. Big Bad Yoda Daddy

Big Bad Yoda Daddy Force Ghost star 4

Mar 8, 2000
    Wow, they included all the lens flares ironically, and there were STILL more lens flares per second in Star Trek and Super 8.

20. I_Died_Once

I_Died_Once Jedi Master

Mar 14, 2005
    Aww, cute, personal flame. Have fun and I'll see you in 24 hours.

21. Echo-07

Echo-07 Jedi Master star 4

Nov 9, 2012
    Last weekend I re-watched the Premiere of LOST. Just got done wathcing Trek and these are my thoughts in free association form (may be a bit random):

- Flares and shaky camera is rampant and excessive and deserving of criticism. That said, it worked for Trek IMO and won't work for Wars. But if flares are our biggest complaint then we'll have a Hell of an Episode!
    - Fast paced, lots of action and proper use of levity -- well done!
    - Thought the biggest flaws with the movie were with the script, but not that many and I wonder why Orci gets demonized? He co-wrote and I thought it was all pretty tight.
    - Well done handoff to the new cast as Nimoy and Kirk then Spock although small moments were really HUGE in giving the new series legitimacy. Dearly hope we get that same type of handoff. Worked really well and DOES NOT destroy everything that came before.
    - FLAWLESS and SEAMLESS marriage of CGI and practical effects. Nearly perfect.
    - Never a HUGE Trek fan but would say that if I was I would be proud of Trek '09.
    - Attention to detail = VERY IMPORTANT -- everything that I rememeber about Trek was accounted for. No doubt we'll get the same attention as JJ admittedly LOVES Star Wars more than Trek.
    - Michael Giacchino masterful score. IF John Williams doesn't actually direct the orchestra I would love it for him to at least compose the music and have MG direct. IF JW decides to do neither then MG gets the nod and I don't think there's any doubt about it. We win either way. BUT I desperately want JW.
    - Bad Robot (LOST) irregulars -- Burke, Lindelof, Abrams, Giacchino -- work well together. Episode 7 will be samashing and smashing all kinds sof records.
    - Even with all the praise I didn't feel like I was watching Star Wars really, though I can see how others would.
    - GREAT CAST! Hemsworth, Pine, Urban and in this next one Alice Eve. All actors I would've liked in 7 but now untouchable due to the Trek.
    - GREAT job of keeping the characters and relationships in the forefront with all the craziness as the backdrop.

Julius Vernon and Arawn_Fenn like this.
  22. Pro Scoundrel

Pro Scoundrel New Films Expert At Modding Casual star 6 Staff Member Manager

Nov 20, 2012
    I re-watched Trek last Thursday. A fun movie. I noticed lots of script problems, but we have Arndt taking care of that. There were a couple of lore problems, mostly to do with Spock, which were my biggest complaints. That said, I still really like the movie. It has some heart. The score, the effects, the acting, all good, IMO. I think we're in good hands.

Julius Vernon and Echo-07 like this.
  23. Lee_

Lee_ Force Ghost star 5

Nov 3, 2012
    I think that is a great movie to watch on Bluray with a good surround sound system (like mine); I love what JJ did with it, love the way the actors play their parts. I am surprised more don't like it on this site (95%+ like it on the movie sites), but I guess a reboot of something like Trek can slaughter a sacred cow.

24. SithLordDarthRichie

SithLordDarthRichie CR Emeritus: London star 9

Oct 3, 2003
    Trek did a prequel right, it has everything it needed to have. I am confident JJ can do the same with Star Wars and maintain the stylings of the franchise.

Echo-07 likes this.
  25. Samuel Vimes

Samuel Vimes Force Ghost star 4

Sep 4, 2012
    Quick comment about "Dirtier" vs "Cleaner". I don't view the OT as being "Dirty" but rather "Used". The look that ANH has has been called "The used future.". The reason for this was that prior to ANH, most of the SciFi films had clothes and props that looked like they were made yesterday. The ships looked brand new, not just clean. The look of many of the clothes and props in ANH was "Used" and not really dirty. If you take a brand new T-shirt and thorw mud on it, it looks dirty. If you have a T-shirt that you have owned for over a year and used regularly, even if you have just washed it, it still looks used. So the ships, props and clothes in ANH looked like they had seen much use, they were not costumes that were made yesterday but clothes that the people had used many times. The look of ANH was very new back in 1977 because of this and many SciFi films that followed it used the idea of the used future. It was an attempt at realism in a fantastical setting. The world might be fantastical to us but it was real and lived in to the people in it.

Bye for now.
    Blackboard Monitor

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.