main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

ST JJ Abrams to direct Episode VII

Discussion in 'Sequel Trilogy' started by Kuestmaster, Jan 24, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. DarthBreezy

DarthBreezy Chosen One star 6

Jun 4, 2002
    Exactly! It was a HUGE step 'forward' in the way we viewed 'Sci-Fi, not to mention the strong female protagonist in Leia - she set a new bar for women in Fantasy film. Tying this in to the NEW trilogy, I expect we'll see a mixture of 'old and ratty' with fairly newer and shiney-er, depending on how they set the stage - Has the Galaxy ushered in a new era of 'post war' peace and prosperity? Or has it suffered from post war depresion aka Germany after the first world war? We shall see... and oh what a fun ride it'll be no matter how it ends up, this waiting, speculating period is almost more fun than the movies themselves!

2. Obi-Wan21

Obi-Wan21 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Aug 27, 2002
    Ah, thank you! I was looking for a more approriate word, and dirty was all my mind gave me at the time. Used as the exact word I desired to describe the original trilogy. That is the big difference, The PT exists in such a clean, new environment, never experiencing the harshness of war and chaos, and as time goes, the universe started to age, appearing more and more used. It was the end of the new gods atop their perch.

Thanks

3. Darth_Zidious

Darth_Zidious Force Ghost star 5

Dec 3, 2001
    My main concern is Abrams' secrecy. Little is known about the next Trek movie coming out in just four months. I enjoyed the spoilers as much as the movies from 1997 to 2005. That was eight years of great fun.

BoromirsFan likes this.
  4. aguywithabiggun

aguywithabiggun Jedi Grand Master star 4

Mar 27, 1999
    To break in for a sec.. I had a strange thought: ST Into Darkness is going to be overrun with SW fans scrutinizing every little thing about it in order to extrapolate the new SW movie. This is like a holy war, man.

BigAl6ft6 likes this.
  5. Echo-07

Echo-07 Jedi Master star 4

Nov 9, 2012
    I don't agree with this comment. Yes, I think SW fans will turn out more to the next Trek just to watch a JJ Abrams film and "study" his style more but in no way does that mean we can "extrapolate the new SW movie." As I said previously, you can only watch for style and I would expect JJ to adapt his style to SW.

Tan-Wessel and Darth Chiznuk like this.
  6. aguywithabiggun

Mar 27, 1999
    Oh yeah I agree. But it doesn't mean we wont try! I'll be looking for small little Abrams touches. And see, adapting to SW is what we hope for but each director has his own need to express his vision. Question is who is brave enough to improve upon whats already there![face_thinking]

Jedi Merkurian likes this.
  7. Tensionhead

Tensionhead Jedi Master star 1

Feb 7, 2005
    sorry if ive missed it (so many pages of threads since the director announcement) but i didnt think this warranted its own new thread - what will be the star wars "kelvin" reference?
    i wanted to make a poll thread, but thought there wouldnt be much interest/selfish of me ;)
    a new character/alien race?
    a new ship?
    a planet/city?

darth kelvin doesnt have a great ring to it...but gaurunteed itll be in there somewhere!
    again, sorry if this has been brought up - ive missed it

8. Arawn_Fenn

Arawn_Fenn Chosen One star 7

Jul 2, 2004
    Blue milk is now Slusho, and Chewie will be played by Greg Grunberg.

Panakas_Dawg likes this.
  9. Tensionhead

Feb 7, 2005
    grunberg better be in full makeup or head-to-toe costume - nobody needs to see his mug in starwars :mad:
    ...and the a-wings are now just part of the oceanic fleet?

10. StoneRiver

StoneRiver Force Ghost star 4

Oct 6, 2004
    I did the same thing, and after all the comments about the, um, well, sssh, lens flares, I dare say you'll notice them in a big way.

still an enjoyable romp though

Echo-07 likes this.
  11. darthgator1217

darthgator1217 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Apr 25, 2005
    I just hope that we do not get the Star trek reboot style that has been given to trek. I certainly hope that the new characters are not like the annoying a--holes that are in the latest trek movies. Abrams is sort of like Micheal bay lite when it come to trek. Visual and sound are prioritized far more than even a reasonable level of logic and solid dramatic structure.

Fortunately a decent writer is on board and I hope that Kennedy makes sure that this feels like a true star wars movie. Perhaps I am just being too grumpy and cynical.

12. Tensionhead

Feb 7, 2005
    i would share your concern if lucas didnt give the the story "treatments" as theyre calling them. too many good people are involved to ruin star wars any mor than its already been ruined (in some eyes).

13. Panakas_Dawg

Panakas_Dawg Jedi Grand Master star 5

Jul 29, 2004
  14. The Hellhammer

The Hellhammer Manager Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 4, 2012
    This just about describes the current situation among SW fans.

[​IMG]

15. BoromirsFan

BoromirsFan Jedi Master star 4

May 16, 2010
    The secrecy marketing also made Super 8 "appear" like shamelessly self-indulgent garbage.

When the theatrical trailer comes in for VII, I want to get a foothold om a plot. Teaser trailers can be as cryptic as they want.

16. TCF-1138

TCF-1138 Anthology/Fan Films/NSA Mod & Ewok Enthusiast star 6 Staff Member Manager

Sep 20, 2002
    Well, I for one really enjoyed Abrams' Trek. I was never a big fan of Star Trek, but I did enjoy some of the movies, as well as an occasional episode. Trek '09 however, was a great movie! The characters were enjoyable - well written and well cast. The story was somewhat basic, but as an origin story/reboot/whatever it worked exceptionally well - and it also managed to pull a lot of people into Star Trek fandom that otherwise would never have watched it.
    If Abrams manages to do the same thing with the Star Wars sequel(s) (hmm, from ST to ST I suppose :p), the movies will most definitely be considered successes. I think we should all consider ourselves lucky to have such a competent and well-liked director at the helm.

17. LawJedi

LawJedi Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jan 11, 2009
  18. GGrievous

GGrievous Jedi Grand Master star 5

Nov 6, 2005
    That is the 23423423423rd time that I've seen that, Lawjedi.

I'll probably watch Abrams' second SW film and critique it.

TigerCraneFist It wasn't Star Trek. :p

19. SithLord_1270

SithLord_1270 Jedi Knight star 3

Nov 5, 2008
    Awwww....they didn't pick Michael Bay or Tim Burton? :-( lol

Darth Chiznuk likes this.
  20. Lee_

Lee_ Force Ghost star 5

Nov 3, 2012
    I don't think we can extrapolate with any real accuracy, but that certainly doesn't mean people around here won't be going wild with it when the new Trek movie comes out ,"I just know it! They will ruin Episode 7 by doing ____ which is in the new Star Trek movie!!!" People are already going wild with this sort of thing, and this is a NEW sci-fi movie that will come out after this discussion of JJ in SW began.

Also, regarding some other posts floating around: I am all for cryptic trailers and closely guarded secrets. I am really baffled by all these people that express disappointment that JJ is a director that maintains secrecy. You WANT to know the movie before you see it? Really? I get aggravated when someone tells me all about a movie I am going to see(or gives away important spoilers, surprising moments, or the end); that takes away from the suspense and intrigue when I ACTUALLY WATCH the movie. That is a lot of the experience, it is unimaginable to WANT to walk in knowing all the important points. To each his own I guess.

21. EHT

EHT Manager Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 13, 2007
    LawJedi : that was my first time seeing that, and I thoroughly appreciated it. [face_laugh]

22. Echo-07

Echo-07 Jedi Master star 4

Nov 9, 2012
    Yeah, ditto here. That's awesome! LOL

Pro Scoundrel likes this.
  23. aguywithabiggun

Mar 27, 1999
    Abrams may be known for keeping secrets but I think SW is way too big and the ST in general to keep things under wraps. I know Star Trek is a big movie.. but lets be honest: who cares about Star Trek!? (I know some of you do) No one leaked Trek info because no one cares. Not so with this one!

The preceding was brought to you by the independent opinion of some dude who in no way wishes to cause Trek fans to riot. Or..

24. DV75

DV75 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 30, 2001
    People are acting as thought JJ holds all the power in terms of Episode VII.

Nothing can be further from the truth.

JJ works for KK now - as far as Star Wars is concerned.

25. KevinM1

KevinM1 Jedi Master star 2

Nov 15, 2012
    I've never understood the rivalry between Star Wars and Star Trek, and never will. Aside from spaceships, aliens, and laser guns, the two franchises are nothing at all alike. It's like a rivalry between General Hospital and ER. Aside from them both taking place in a hospital, they're completely different animals.

Just baffling.

---

I'll say it again - Trek's plot failures were due to the writers, who aren't known for really putting together a coherent script at all. The important part of Trek, if you're watching it with an eye towards what Abrams will do in Star Wars - is the character interaction, the way the dialogue flows/is emoted, and to a lesser extent, the cinematography. I wouldn't worry about the spinning space scenes or lens flare, as neither fit the Star Wars style. Instead, look at how he does his establishing shots, his action scenes, and framing/cuts during dialogue. Lucas' style devolved to the point where most of the dialogue was given in TV-esque shot/reaction shot takes. Hopefully Abrams changes it up a bit.

KilroyMcFadden and Tan-Wessel like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.