main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

ST JJ Abrams to direct Episode VII

Discussion in 'Sequel Trilogy' started by Kuestmaster, Jan 24, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Arawn_Fenn

Arawn_Fenn Chosen One star 7

Jul 2, 2004
  2. Lord TW

Lord TW Jedi Master star 2

Dec 25, 2012
    Evidently, this thread has ceased. So sad.the Lens Flare went supernova. The trek has ended. <sigh.>

3. Angel Eyes

Angel Eyes Jedi Youngling star 1

Nov 1, 2012
    Grabbed a copy of the new Star Trek and had a viewing for the first time since I caught it in the theatre. Thought it was killer. I most certainly connected with the characters more than The Clone Wars or the Phantom Menace (although the duel of the fates was epic n Qui Gon is one of my fav Jedi). While no one knows who might have been the best choice for director there's no doubt this is a turn for the better in regards to directing for the Star Wars franchise.

Loved the opening sequence in the new Star Trek. Killer space battle. High stakes. Personal sacrifice that sets up story for main character. Makes me tear up every time.

Looking forward to the next Star Trek as a sort of Star Wars methadone. The cool thing is we get to see the same director in action as an extra teaser.

It's good times. What's next? The exploits of a young Yoda? An old republic trilogy? Or 1000 years into the future and a new Sith Threat?

Abrams will do well and after he's gone we'll get to run the next guy through the wringer.

There was a lot of lens flair. $20 says he tones that s/@t down in the next one.

the_sinister_hologram likes this.
  4. Arawn_Fenn

Jul 2, 2004
    You don't say.

GGrievous likes this.
  5. Darth Claire

Darth Claire Force Ghost star 5

Dec 21, 2012
    Even the magazine cover had lens flares. Truly he is the lens flare king. All hail him. ^:)^

6. A Chorus of Disapproval

A Chorus of Disapproval Head Admin & TV Screaming Service star 10 Staff Member Administrator

Aug 19, 2003
    I loved the lens flare in Star Trek. I hope it is used in overwhelming abundance everywhere in Episode VII.

7. admiral_Jim

admiral_Jim Jedi Master star 3

May 7, 2004
    This whole lens flare thing has passed me by......I would like to make a couple of jokes about it, hell, ive even laughed at some of jokes on here about it......without actually knowing what the hell it is!

8. Lee_

Lee_ Force Ghost star 5

Nov 3, 2012
    You didn't miss a thing, something very unimportant in the larger scheme. The jokes stopped being funny 90 pages ago, they were only mildly funny then.

Jedi Merkurian likes this.
  9. The Hellhammer

The Hellhammer Manager Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 4, 2012
    Another one for the "true Trek fans," whose lives have been tragically ruined by JJ Abrams.

[​IMG]

JainaSoloYJK likes this.
  10. the_sinister_hologram

the_sinister_hologram Jedi Knight star 3

Nov 3, 2012
    Except that has never happened as far as I recall.
    An exaggeration to justify the different style of the "new-age" Trek.

11. TCF-1138

TCF-1138 Anthology/Fan Films/NSA Mod & Ewok Enthusiast star 6 Staff Member Manager

Sep 20, 2002
    I don't get it :confused:

Graphic and Darth Chiznuk like this.
  12. fishtailsam

fishtailsam Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jul 30, 2003
    I just watched super 8. I really liked it. It made me wonder if episode 7 will feature a young new cast like Star Trek and have Luke and han-n-Leia's kids be the stars. Or will it have a really young cast ala super 8 and have Luke and han-n-leia's grand kids be the stars.

13. Darth Chiznuk

Darth Chiznuk Superninja of Future Films star 8 Staff Member Manager

Oct 31, 2012
    I hope they don't pass over a generation. I love that each trilogy features that next generation.

14. fishtailsam

fishtailsam Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jul 30, 2003
    Yeah, I thought the kids were great in Super 8, but as a 28 year old, I would rather watch a 20 something cast that a some-teen cast.

15. LawJedi

LawJedi Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jan 11, 2009
    Something that just clicked: aside from their other similarities, Abrams and Lucas have something else in common. Their names end in "s." Which means another generation of Star Wars writers struggling with apostrophe grammar rules for possession. It's like my old writing teacher picked Abrams on purpose. :_|

JJ Abrams's Star Wars. [face_dunno]
    George Lucas's Star Wars [face_worried]

Pro Scoundrel likes this.
  16. Darth Claire

Darth Claire Force Ghost star 5

Dec 21, 2012
    Oh Nos! Worst thing ever!! Fire him NOOOOOOW! ;)

LawJedi likes this.
  17. DarthBreezy

DarthBreezy Chosen One star 6

Jun 4, 2002
    So I'm watching 'Super 8' to get a taste of what ol' JJ is going to give us, and I keep wondering "WTF is that white blue line that keeps showing up over everything? Is there something wrong with my beautiful, 50", 2 month old TV that my roomie and I bought?" - [face_dunno]

THEN I get it... [​IMG]

18. Iefan

Iefan Jedi Knight star 1

Jan 31, 2013
    They even show up when they are in the minimally lit cave.

the_sinister_hologram likes this.
  19. DarthBreezy

DarthBreezy Chosen One star 6

Jun 4, 2002
    I've got it on as background company as it really hasn't grabbed my story wise, but every time I look over for more than 30 second - THERE IT IS. :rolleyes:

20. Pro Scoundrel

Pro Scoundrel New Films Expert At Modding Casual star 6 Staff Member Manager

Nov 20, 2012
    Abrams is aware that he overdoes it. I'm sure he'll minimize it for Star Wars.

21. Arawn_Fenn

Jul 2, 2004
    WHOOMP! THERE IT IS!!!

22. BenduHopkins

BenduHopkins Jedi Master star 4

Apr 7, 2004
    Abrams is a product. Lucas is an artist.

DarthBrian and Count Yubnub like this.
  23. BenduHopkins

BenduHopkins Jedi Master star 4

Apr 7, 2004
    Abrams should be directing Transmorphers movies and other direct to DVD mockbusters, not pissing all over canon sagas.

24. The Hellhammer

The Hellhammer Manager Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 4, 2012
    Ah, yes.
    Canon.

The most destructive word on these boards.

25. TtheForceHurts

TtheForceHurts Jedi Master star 4

Jan 28, 2010
    So I finally got around to watch ST2009 again for the first time after the JJ anouncement.
    When I first saw it in the cinema, I did not notice/mind the lensflares. Now with being primed by all the talk about them I noticed the ridiculous amount of them, but to be honest, I did not care. True in the prologue sequence the effect is overdone, after that you only notice them, when you specifically look for them. I watched the specials afterwards and they make fun of them during the shooting;). After seeing the whole film, I am even more exited and relieved that the saga rests in the right hands. JJ manages preety early in the movie that you care about the characters and the whole movie sports that lighthearted OT beat. The humour is great and the action is awesome. Next I will watch Super 8 again...

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.