main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

ST JJ Abrams to direct Episode VII

Discussion in 'Sequel Trilogy' started by Kuestmaster, Jan 24, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Darth Claire

Darth Claire Force Ghost star 5

Dec 21, 2012
    Lets all go get sad together

2. THX_1138biggs

THX_1138biggs Jedi Master star 1

Jul 9, 2007
    no reply

furcifer likes this.
  3. sethg

sethg Manager Emeritus star 2 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 3, 2012
    i would imagine we'll see all of this in featurette form on the ep7 dvd.

bergstrom likes this.
  4. The Hellhammer

The Hellhammer Manager Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 4, 2012
    Angst and clothes softener commercial. That rolling in hills and grasses, just like a damn kitsch clothes softener ad.

5. furcifer

furcifer Jedi Master star 2

Jun 30, 2004
    "Attack of the Clothes"?

The_Hellhammer likes this.
  6. Darth Claire

Dec 21, 2012
    A nice new interview with JJ about SW7
    *in regards to his approach on SW7*
    *on Kathleen Kennedy and how he signed on*
    Source: http://www.empireonline.com/news/story.asp?NID=36884

yodasbum and Darth Chiznuk like this.
  7. A Chorus of Disapproval

A Chorus of Disapproval Head Admin & TV Screaming Service star 10 Staff Member Administrator

Aug 19, 2003
    The thing I most take away from that interview is that his initial "apprehension" and subsequent change of heart weren't nearly as insidious of a series of events as some made it out to be when it was first learned that he had originally said "no". He seems as though he honestly wanted to be able to fully commit or not engage at all. I am glad the position went to him. I think we are in good hands and Kathy Kennedy is more than capable and willing to keep the focus leaning toward Lucas' idea of true north on this.

8. DARTHSHAME

DARTHSHAME Jedi Master star 4

Dec 19, 2003
    Don't worry they will. I remember buying access to the official site to see behind the scene stuff for ROTS. I still have some of the web documentaries.

9. Buddha Fett

Buddha Fett Force Ghost star 4

Dec 18, 1999
    Yep. They're gonna blue-milk it for all it's worth. :p

DARTHSHAME likes this.
  10. TrandoJedi

TrandoJedi Jedi Grand Master star 4

May 4, 2011
    I will be eagerly awaiting future videos, I eagerly awaited the videos of George and Kennedy and quite enjoyed them despite the little tidbits we got. I was a sucker for loving Peter Jackson's Hobbit blogs. I can eat this stuff all day! GIVE ME MOAR!

Darkslayer and Rawne like this.
  11. Pro Scoundrel

Pro Scoundrel New Films Expert At Modding Casual star 6 Staff Member Manager

Nov 20, 2012
    That interview is classic Abrams. Say a lot and reveal absolutely nothing. :)

HankSolo and Miras-Etrin like this.
  12. Han Yolo

Han Yolo Jedi Knight star 2

Mar 7, 2013
    Lens Flare

Sorry, carry on.

13. Miras-Etrin

Miras-Etrin Jedi Master star 2

Jan 23, 2013
    One thing I felt that worked in ST09 was that universe and it´s people felt very real. That´s something TNG movies pretty much failed in and to be honest TOS films weren´t so great in this regard either (with exception of TVH for obvious reasons). I would be very glad if something of that would be seen in ST, becouse IMHO, the only places I felt real life from SW were Mos Eisley cantina (ironically), Jabba´s palace and that nightclub with prostitutes and junkies in AOTC and that is kinda embarassing thing to say...

Long story, escapist fun work for me best when fantastic elementss are projected against background of kinda everyday mood and JJ might be right person to do just that.

14. mavjade

mavjade Former Manager star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 10, 2005
    I liked that little interview. He doesn't really say much but at this point that's okay. I did like that he didn't initally jump at YES! that he really had to give it thought since he was already involved in another big project, that tells me a great deal about his character, especially since he's said for years that he was always a SW fan.

I agree. He did make Star Trek feel pretty real and it will be interesting to see how/if he does that with SW.

Anndd... I just got the biggest feeling of déjà vu as I was typing that last part. Though I guess it's entirely possible since we have so little to talk about that I have said that before. :p

15. Miras-Etrin

Miras-Etrin Jedi Master star 2

Jan 23, 2013
    In any case, let´s all concentrate this year on Oblivion and Star Trek Into Darkness. Their syntethis will prodece Episode VII after all :).

16. Darth Claire

Dec 21, 2012
    And suddenly a wild JJ Interview appears

17. THX_1138biggs

THX_1138biggs Jedi Master star 1

Jul 9, 2007
    The reason the Star Trek movies may feel more "real" is because they are based on the future of Earth, of us. The Star Wars universe is fantasy, therefore there is more freedom to have characters and situations be fantastical yet grounded in that universe.

Star Trek movies/shows are grounded in our world but in the future. So filmmakers see this and just add the sci-fi stuff to an already "real world".

You gotta go back to the how Star Wars was created and what inspired it - from Lucas's inspirations. He wasn't looking at what influenced Star Trek, that's for sure.

J.J. Abrams is a smart filmmaker, and I believe they chose him because he's able to understand the genesis of how these stories came to be.

StoneRiver likes this.
  18. ezekiel22x

ezekiel22x Chosen One star 5

Aug 9, 2002
    I think he just accidentally leaked the title--Episode VII: Another Echelon of Mind Expansion. Your brain will melt as Deak Skywalker rescues not one but two princesses.

Big Bad Yoda Daddy likes this.
  19. Jabberwock2137

Jabberwock2137 Jedi Knight star 2

Mar 16, 2013
    The last Star Trek was just Star trek shot in the style of the first Star Wars. It worked!

20. Darth Claire

Dec 21, 2012
    That sounds like a Nolan movie :p

Darkslayer likes this.
  21. BigAl6ft6

BigAl6ft6 Chosen One star 8

Nov 12, 2012
    Anybody see the ads / trailers for "Star Trek Into Darkness"? There's a pretty blatant ESB shout out/steal with a certain familiar-shaped spaceship doing a particular little maneuver with Kirk yelling "Will fit! Will fit!"

Pro Scoundrel likes this.
  22. Darth Claire

Dec 21, 2012
    Yeah I noticed that. Oh JJ....your star wars fan is showing in your other movies. How cute ;)

Pro Scoundrel likes this.
  23. Pro Scoundrel

Pro Scoundrel New Films Expert At Modding Casual star 6 Staff Member Manager

Nov 20, 2012
    "Excuse me JJ, but your Star Wars is showing."
    "Oh, thanks. Ziiip." :)

StoneRiver and Darth Claire like this.
  24. Darkslayer

Darkslayer #2 Sabine Wren Fan star 7

Mar 26, 2013
    Does he use the Jedi Mind Meld?

25. BigAl6ft6

BigAl6ft6 Chosen One star 8

Nov 12, 2012
    Trek screenwriter / internet poster / Bad Robot fella Bob Orci opined on getting Abrams in for a third Trek movie. http://www.comicbookmovie.com/fansites/JoshWildingNewsAndReviews/news/?a=77138

Anyway, we're all fans of Star Wars. Still, this is going to affect calendars and now it's two massive corporations having to vie for the right attention to each of these properties. But hopefully it will be fine.
    My thoughts, as a fan of both? (Am a bigger Star Wars fan but huge Trekkie as well. you can co-exist, even though it's liking both the Yankees and the Red Sox) Big Abrams fan but I don't really want to see him helm the entire trilogy just because, like the OT, I would dig it if different directors got a shot at each episode. Now Bad Robot / future Ep. 7 producer Bryan Burk was saying that they would want to get a third Trek movie out for 2016 for the 50th anniversary of Star Trek but, just seeing how Abrams' movie schedule rolls, I can't see that happening with him at the helm (although it might work if he really cranks through and lays off on the TV projects & other producing projects). Heck, I'm still not sure if Abrams is going to get 2015 for Star Wars, but that's just me. Anyway, I don't think even a movie in 2016 would be the best way to celebrate Star Trek 50th anniversary from being broadcast, I would actually want a new Star Trek TV series instead! (With Bad Robot working on that to keep it in the new JJ-verse continuity). However, I do like how Abrams has carved out his own distinctive niche in Star Trek and would like to see him conclude that. But more Star Wars, obviously, takes priority for me. Maybe one of the reasons Abrams didn't jump off the gun at it (and he did mention how he was already involved in a "Star" sci-fi franchise) was because even *he* couldn't figure out how to do both Star Wars and get back into Star Trek to wrap up their trilogy. Anyway, in a perfect world, I would take Ep. 7 in 2015 and ST3 (or is it 13?) in 2017, with a new Star Trek TV series in 2016 (running alongside a Star Wars live action TV series too, heh.)

Also semi-unrelated aside, I can't wait to see the cast that Abrams puts together for Ep. 7. If anything you can say about his projects, the casting is pretty damn perfect.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.