main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

ST JJ Abrams to direct Episode VII

Discussion in 'Sequel Trilogy' started by Kuestmaster, Jan 24, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. InterestingLurker

InterestingLurker Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jun 15, 2011
    Indeed, he would just overshadow the Big Three.

2. Darth Claire

Darth Claire Force Ghost star 5

Dec 21, 2012
    Yeah I hope the sequel trilogy avoids big name actors and instead uses small/unknowns who earn the right to overshadow the big 3 by being good actors and creating fascinating characters. I dont want people overshadowing others just cause of the actors they are but instead by how good the character is. Am I making sense?
    Also... *in regards to the new heroes overshawing the old* in a sense that needs to happen. Its one of the only ways to be sure these new characters are capable of taking over the franchise. If new characters can maybe steal the spotlight *acting and epic character wise* from classic OT characters then we are definitly in good shape. If they are just fading away into the background then thats not a good thing. *cue fans flaming me for suggesting the idea of the OT cast being overshadowed*

Pro Scoundrel and Rawne like this.
  3. InterestingLurker

Jun 15, 2011
    You're saying that, if any actor is going to overshadow anyone of the Big Three, it should only happen if the actor in question plays an excellently written character with great acting, not because the actor him or herself is easily recognizable(like Leonardo DiCaprio or Johnny Depp).

Darth Claire likes this.
  4. Darth Claire

Dec 21, 2012
    Yeah exactly. Overshadowing the OT cast should be earned just given just cause you're famous. Also we need to keep Johnny depp away from this franchise.

5. InterestingLurker

Jun 15, 2011
    I think I would only tolerate Johnny Depp if he weren't miscast in the film. In all the recent films he has appeared in, Depp has been miscast. He's forced to play silly character instead of serious ones, the latter of which he can play very well(just watch Finding Neverland).

6. Darth Claire

Dec 21, 2012
    Lately he's either playing Jack Sparrow, or creepy pale crazy guys with dark makeup *well thats how he always is in those burton movies* EIther way he's all tied up with the milked franchise POTC, so I think we're safe from him. Back on topic of unknowns, I do hope they chose them. I know it must be tempting to use more well known actors especially when you're bringing back a major franchise. Well known actors are just a safer bet then lesser knowns/unknowns. Hopefully they make good casting choices and it doens't become a case of "Hey look its Russel Crowe as a Star Wars character" and more like the RDJ/Iron Man where I seriously just think he actually is the character and call him Tony Stark cause I see him as that character and nobody else *weird example but whatever*

7. InterestingLurker

Jun 15, 2011
    I think a good example of a relatively unknown actor who could play a part would be Simon Merrells. Sure, he's not exactly "unknown" given his role in Spartacus, but most people don't even know him. Simon Merrells as Crassus was a great casting choice and I have no doubt he could play a villain in a Star Wars film to perfection or something close to it.

8. Rawne

Rawne Jedi Knight star 2

Jan 2, 2008
    I think TV is a good place to look to be honest. Since shows like The Wire and The Soprano's in the early 00's TV series have taken a huge leap forward in terms of quality. I don't think it's too far fetched to assume that LFL will take a good look at the best TV shows of recent years (i.e. Breaking Bad, Treme, Boardwalk Empire, Lost, Game of Thrones etc) while they're casting. It wouldn't shock me if someone like Aaron Paul, Emilia Clarke or Idris Elba got a leading role.

9. Jedi Merkurian

Jedi Merkurian Future Films Rumor Naysayer star 7 Staff Member Manager

May 25, 2000
    If we're talking "who do I wanna see in EpVII" I choose Cole Horibe from Season 9 of So You Think You Can Dance. He made it to the Top 3 Male, he's actually a martial artist who got into dancing, and from some his dances, he's a decent actor. In the video below, you can see why he would make an outstanding villain. The actual dancing begins at about 1:30 in:

10. Pro Scoundrel

Pro Scoundrel New Films Expert At Modding Casual star 6 Staff Member Manager

Nov 20, 2012
    This is exactly what I want. I'm glad the old characters are coming back so we can get a fond farewell, hopefully. I don't want that to happen in a book. However, I'll be very disappointed if the new characters aren't the same caliber. The prequels gave us Qui-Gon, hopefully the ST will give us more.

Darth Claire likes this.
  11. Motterman

Motterman Jedi Grand Master star 2

Dec 22, 2000
    Saw this image on AICN, and something just struck me... it's a pic of JJ Abrams on a set, a real life awesome set - not a big green curtain:

[​IMG]

KED12345 and Jedi Merkurian like this.
  12. Darth Claire

Dec 21, 2012
    A wild JJ abrams interview appears:
    Interviewer: Star Wars needs to look different from Star Trek, certainly.
    JJ:
    Interviewer: As recently as last fall you said that directing a new Star Wars comes with a burden of “almost fatal sacrilege.” Do you feel that?
    JJ:
    In the rest of the interview he talks about the OT cast, feedback from george, GASP Jar jar, and other stuff http://www.slashfilm.com/j-j-abrams...s-episode-vii-could-still-direct-star-trek-3/

Darth Chiznuk likes this.
  13. I Are The Internets

I Are The Internets Shelf of Shame Host star 9 VIP - Game Host

Nov 20, 2012
    The "less green screen" sounds promising.

14. Bazinga'd

Bazinga'd Saga / WNU Manager - Knights of LAJ star 7 Staff Member Manager

Nov 1, 2012
  15. Darth Claire

Dec 21, 2012
    Heh....coarse he would do a playboy interview. Can we expect the entire playboy calender girls to be twilek slave girls :p ;)
    ANYWHO....well I already posted this in the JJ Abrams thread but whatev its still a nice interview

16. Jedi_Lantern

Jedi_Lantern Jedi Knight star 2

Apr 3, 2013
    “Preposterous,” “ridiculous” and “completely insane.” Those are the exact words J.J. Abrams uses to describe the fact he’s behind not only Hollywood’s current iteration of Star Trek, but will soon helm Star Wars Episode VII.

I agree. Abrams seems like the boring "safe" choice. It'd be like asking Whedon to helm Justice League because he did a good job with Avengers. Or having Peter Jackson direct the Game of Thrones TV series. Sure they could do those projects, but out of all the people out there, there isn't anyone else qualified? I'm sure Abrams will be fine, he just feels like a boring, safe, choice

17. Darth Valkyrus

Darth Valkyrus Jedi Grand Master star 4

Apr 12, 2013
    Like everything else that Abrams, Arndt, Lucas, Zahn, Filoni, Chee, Hidalgo et al. have told us since the announcement was made that new SW films were to be produced, this really tells us absolutely nothing about what will be in them.

I'd say the first we'll have any idea of what might possibly be something resembling what the story or plot or characters could be, is when they begin shooting and the cast are known. And beyond that, everything again will be speculation, only slightly more informed, until the first trailers hit.

18. Darth Claire

Dec 21, 2012
    They're secretive and probably dont want details being leaked before hand. And even if we do get details it probably will be unspoilery stuff like "Yeah it takes place such and such years in the future and there are bad guys" or "New batch of heroes". Since this is JJ Abrams, I am not expecting any bit of spoilerific details to come from any of them. So people shouldn't be expecting JJ to give out the names of the villains, which Eu characters are used or what not. If anything...he'll mind F us and lead us in constant wrong directions like he did with Star Trek.

19. A Chorus of Disapproval

A Chorus of Disapproval Head Admin & TV Screaming Service star 10 Staff Member Administrator

Aug 19, 2003
    It says that they are making an Episode VII. Please use spoiler tags while discussing this stuff...

Jedi Merkurian and starmin76 like this.
  20. I Are The Internets

Nov 20, 2012
    I never thought people read the Playboy interviews usually.

Darth kRud likes this.
  21. KED12345

KED12345 Jedi Master star 4

Sep 10, 2012
    I've always liked Abrams's style with filming (I'm just okay with the lense flares) but I love how he uses so many props and REAL ACTORS in makeup to make his movies combined with CGI when necessary. He's going to do fine with Episode VII.

22. I Are The Internets

Nov 20, 2012
    He has a style where everything is moving no matter what, and no single event ever seems to get bogged down with pointless detail.

23. Pro Scoundrel

Nov 20, 2012
    He's gotta one up Slave Leia somehow. :)

eht13 likes this.
  24. Pro Scoundrel

Nov 20, 2012
    Is that a flannel shirt he's wearing? I think we've found our guy. :)

25. Jedi Merkurian

Jedi Merkurian Future Films Rumor Naysayer star 7 Staff Member Manager

May 25, 2000
    *Threadmerge*

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.