main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

JK Outcast: The honor of duels

Discussion in 'Archive: Games' started by ImperialDrone1138, Apr 13, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ImperialDrone1138

ImperialDrone1138 Jedi Youngling star 1

Mar 15, 2002
    Hey, I don't know about you guys but pretty much wherever I play Duel mode people seem to bow. Its absolutley hilarious (in a good way of course). In fact I think things like this make it an even better gaming experience...It definitely ups the intensity factor. What do you guys think of the whole bowing thing? Yay or nay? and does anyone know how it started?

Also, if 2 guys are obviously squaring off to have a 1 on 1 fight during a FFA game, does anyone else think that it is lame to run in guns blazing a kill the two unsuspecting players?

Opinions wanted

2. AlienAcid

AlienAcid Jedi Knight star 6

Nov 27, 2000
    I binded my 'q' key to taunt :D :D

i love doing it with the lightsaber on it looks like im cutting my head off

3. Dan

Dan Jedi Grand Master star 6

Mar 15, 1999
    Well, first of all, utilize the K key to duel people so others can't hurt you.

I think bowing is pretty humorous. First time I saw someone do that, I started laughing. I usually just say 'GL' when we start, and then 'nice one' if he kills me. Bowing isn't my style.

4. Insane Anakin

Insane Anakin Jedi Padawan star 4

Nov 12, 1999
    Here's my opinion:

If two players fail to utilize the duel key in a FFA that is included in the game, I feel it's my duty to blast the hell out of them with the repeater or Golan Arms.

I also don't understand the uppity attitude that people give you when you do this. Maybe I'm just overly-aggressive.

5. ImperialDrone1138

Mar 15, 2002
    Yes people should utilize the duel key more often during games. But usually if I see that a couple of people are going to great lengths to build up their confrontation, I look elsewhere for a fight...I feel like I've gotten a cheap kill otherwise.

IMO squaring off with one other person while a battle is raging on is one of the most intense things in MP.

6. Crix-Madine

Crix-Madine Jedi Grand Master star 4

Aug 7, 2000
    Yea I hate people who totally ignore the fact that you're fighting one on one with someone else. I think the honor does make the game way more fun.

7. Insane Anakin

Nov 12, 1999
    Screw that. No kill is cheap. I really don't think there are many people in online gaming that are good enough to decide when they want to take kills, trust me.

8. Dan

Mar 15, 1999
    If you're fighting one on one with someone else and don't want interference, DUEL THEM. Otherwise, I'll kill you.

9. Cigam Retah

Cigam Retah Jedi Grand Master star 5

Mar 30, 1999
    If you're on the bottom level of Nar Shadda Streets, and I'm way up top with my Portable Missle System, and you're fighting, but not 'dueling,' then it is time for some fireworks!

10. ImperialDrone1138

Mar 15, 2002
    Well that's Nar Shadaa, of course! Anything goes there. I'm talking about in the conference room in the death star or some place secluded like that.

Basically whenever I play I try to get all my kills from lightning or saber attacks, thats it. Its just my playing style. I try to steer clear of guns, not because I don't like them, but because I like lightsaber duels waaaayyyyyyy more.

11. Dan

Mar 15, 1999
    One thing that would really calm the gunners vs. saberists debates would be for Raven to, in the next patch, make the user put force stars into a guns category. Gunners like me don't put stars into the sabers... so I have the guns and awesome force powers. The saberists have a nice saber, but crummy force powers.

Three levels of gun usage. Go up in incriments, the last level allowing the use of the rockets, repeater, and flak cannon (that's the UT name for basically the same gun... I just forgot the JKII name). [face_blush]

12. ImperialDrone1138

Mar 15, 2002
    Dan, that is an excellent idea. I sure hope Raven thinks of something like that. There sure does seem like a lot of tension between the saberists and gunners...or how about a force power which makes one immune to either saber attacks or gunfire?

13. Jeff 42

Jeff 42 Manager Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 14, 1998
    What about people who use both sabers and guns, like me? And I get lots of kills with both. :D

14. Insane Anakin

Nov 12, 1999
    A force power that makes you immune to saber attacks or guns?

That's a horrid idea.

15. ImperialDrone1138

Mar 15, 2002
    You don't like my idea? :_|
    Fair enough, but how about a *constructive* suggestion on the level of Dan's?

or more on what you guys think of the whole bowing thing?

16. Sithman

Sithman Jedi Grand Master star 7

Jul 6, 1999
    lol, Dan, IA, I do exactly the same thing to the stupid saber duelists who won't actually "duel" with each other.

I love seeing groups of 4+ saberists going at it as I walk up with my repeater and annihilate the whole bunch of them in a couple seconds. Then they get mad at me. If Raven incorporates a duel function into a game, use it. [face_plain]

Oh, once I was dueling with a guy and some guy behind me wasted all his secondary fire from the repeater on me and I obviously wasn't dying. Some people's kids...

17. Dan

Mar 15, 1999
    Yeah, you should check out the saber vs. guns war at JKII.net. It's almost like the canon war here.

Yes, those groups of 4+ are definitely fodder for me. If four people are dueling, there is no skill involved. What they do is switch into strong stance and hold down primary fire and run around, hoping to get lucky. I'm less willing to attack two people going at it without being in duel mode, but I still usually do.

18. Vezner

Vezner Force Ghost star 5

Dec 29, 2001
    I think that the whole bowing thing in duels is ok. I do it when my opponent does, but I always feel a little goofy. But as they say, when in Rome do as the Romans do...(or cut em down while they are looking at the floor) [face_mischief]

Anyway I think Duels are fun because if you have some skills, it is a way for you to be able to strut your stuff and get cocky... :D

19. Cigam Retah

Mar 30, 1999
    Just remember folks, it's called a Free For All for a particular reason.

20. barnsthefatjedi

barnsthefatjedi Jedi Knight star 5

Feb 17, 2001
    Best thing to do is to go into a FFA server where guns are disabled. That way, people are forced to use skill.

21. Jedi-Corleone

Jedi-Corleone Jedi Youngling star 4

Oct 28, 2001
    I don't know about guns being skill-less, but I certainly prefer sabering.

22. Cigam Retah

Mar 30, 1999
    people are forced to use skill

Hack, slash. Hack, slash. Force Push, Force Choak. Repeat 1000 times.

Give me some firepower. With the guns in Jedi Outcast, you have to have alot more skill than games like Quake and Half-Life.

23. Sithman

Sithman Jedi Grand Master star 7

Jul 6, 1999
    I know, guns have skill. You can tell because some people who use them don't have it. [face_plain]

24. barnsthefatjedi

barnsthefatjedi Jedi Knight star 5

Feb 17, 2001
    Yeah, it takes a whole bunch of skill to turn on the repeater/golan and secondary fire in the general direction of a bunch of people.

"Oh look, I killed lots of people. That means I'm 133t at this game" [face_plain]

Almost as bad as the sniping campers in CS.

I can tolerate the guns which take a bit of precision and those which you actually have a reasonable method of defending against, but the repeater and golan are a waste of space.

25. Dan

Mar 15, 1999
    So you call taking out your saber, switching to strong stance, and holding down the primary fire while circle strafing and running around like an idiot requires skill?

Considering 75% of the people who use sabers do this, I think that guns may require a bit more skill.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.