main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

JKII patch v1.03 released.

Discussion in 'Archive: Games' started by Dan, May 6, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Obi_Wan_01

Obi_Wan_01 Jedi Grand Master star 5

Aug 17, 2001
    With Preach, Bib & Corleone in banland, modding here is a cakewalk.

Makes your life a lot easier doesn't it, feel like paradise.../ ;)

2. Dan

Dan Jedi Grand Master star 6

Mar 15, 1999
    Good lord. 22 of the first 50 topics at JKII.net were rants about the new patch. Many contained flames about sucking certain parts of the human anatomy... argh.

3. Dan

Mar 15, 1999
    Okay, the patch info doesn't go into the details about what was changed in saber combat for the patch. For those of you that are insterested, here's the deal:

In general, some work was put into making sabers more likely to hit - both the other players and their lightsaber. This was not so much a problem with strong attacks because they are so long and slow, but often medium and fast attacks would miss or pass through.

Idle saber damage (i.e.: damage not done while in an attack animation) was toned down to reduce the number of seemingly "random" kills.

Parries, deflections, reflections, broken parries and knockaways were put into MP (these were in SP but were not in MP).

Saber lock frequency was slightly increased so that it could happen in the heat of combat.

Hand dismemberment was put in to MP, also, the hand-dismemberment "win" result of saberlocks that is in SP was put in MP. It only happens if the loser of the saber lock was low on health anyway.

Light Stance:
    The foward lunge attack (swing from the bottom up) was toned down in damage just a little bit because it was quite often a 1-shot kill and could be exploited fairly easily. It still does a lot of damage, just not enough to kill in one hit.

Medium Stance:
    Medium was not meant to be the whirling dervish style, so it was made so that, if you do the same exact move over and over again, you cannot chain as many attacks as if you mix it up a little. "Spinning top" fighters should use fast style. This is the *only* change to medium style.

Strong Stance:
    Strong attacks were slowed down some to match SP, as was player movement while doing a strong attack. Strong attacks also do more of their damage at the middle of the swing and less at the start and end. This was necessary to give the strong attacks a more realistic feel (because the anims are so long that sometimes you would get a somewhat accidental looking kill). But strong attacks were also given the ability to chain, like in SP. If you do an attack and then switch up the direction of the attack by 45 degrees, you will be able to chain into another attack. Also, the strong overhead jump attack was made to not do as much damage once the saber is in the ground and you can no longer turn during this attack (like the fast style's lunge attack). This was the single most exploited move in MP and required this much heavy tweaking.

The back-flip off a wall/opponent was changed into a double-tap. This was mostly done because it was frustrating to try to get over a small lip and end up back-flipping off of it. In combat, you can still kick someone and knock them down with this move, but you have to do a double-tap. Also, it was noticed that the strong style was completely vulnerable to this move because of the long wind-up time of it's attacks. A somewhat skilled jump-kicker could always knock down a strong style user (often you could not see the kick coming). So the jump-kick was made to not *knock down* a strong user who is in the middle of a swing. It still does damage and you still flip off them.

Regardless of what you feel is different or other posters say, these are really the *only* changes to saber combat...

We tested the new saber tweaks pretty heavily and only stopped when we felt that the three styles were well balanced with each other.

4. barnsthefatjedi

barnsthefatjedi Jedi Knight star 5

Feb 17, 2001
    Also, the strong overhead jump attack was made to not do as much damage once the saber is in the ground and you can no longer turn during this attack (like the fast style's lunge attack). This was the single most exploited move in MP and required this much heavy tweaking.

I can't even do the bloody move anymore. What the Hell have they done to it?

5. jp-30

jp-30 Manager Emeritus star 10 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Dec 14, 2000
    Would you mind telling me what you thought of it (non-spoiler) when you get back and have some time? Not much, but how much you liked it and stuff.

Parts of it were excellent. Other parts left something to be desired. Almost all the acting was top notch (even little Boba Fett was good) - except for Hayden's early scenes / love dialogue. They just didn't seem natural. His "angry" scenes were amazing though. Some pretty "forced" (no pun intended) gags too. Yoda is the highlight. Well, he and Natalie Portman's tummy. Overall, not the "greatest Star Wars movie ever" as some have been saying. Better than TPM & ROTJ though... ;) 6.5/10

6. Dan

Mar 15, 1999
    Cool. Just about what I was expecting. Thanks for the reply.

And btw, this new patch sucks. Can't play multiplayer because I get a parsepacketentities message. [face_plain]

7. barnsthefatjedi

Feb 17, 2001
    I've re-learnt how to do that move. I agree with Dan, at the moment I do not like this patch.

6.5 out of 10!!!!!!???!!!!

OK, how much would you give the other movies out of 10?

8. jp-30

jp-30 Manager Emeritus star 10 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Dec 14, 2000
    ANH 8
    ESB 8
    ROTJ 6
    TPM 5

9. barnsthefatjedi

Feb 17, 2001
    Hmmm...I suppose that's not too bad. Still a little disappointing. I'll just have to hope you have no taste. :p

I hope Chris Lee's performance was good.

10. Morrowind

Morrowind Jedi Youngling star 1

May 2, 2002
    ***********EDIT*************

**********SPOILERS**********

http://www.ew.com/ew/article/review/movie/0,6115,236195~1~0~starwarsepisodeii,00.html

these people have there heads up there collective asses dear god its just a movie.

11. barnsthefatjedi

Feb 17, 2001
    Well, I won't try to deny that I am a 'fanboy'. Star Wars is hugely important to me.

Does that link contain spoilers?

12. Morrowind

May 2, 2002
    opps im naighty and swore =/

13. barnsthefatjedi

Feb 17, 2001
    I want TFN to post a non-spoiler review of AOTC.

Uh...and that patch still sucks.

14. Morrowind

May 2, 2002
    that patch is meh, how do i break it off DAN

OMG I BOLDED MY FIRST NAME EVER ON TEH JC! IM ELITESSSS NOW!S!

15. barnsthefatjedi

Feb 17, 2001
  16. Dan

Mar 15, 1999
    EXPOSED!

17. Morrowind

May 2, 2002
    OH NO'S! YOU KONW WHO I AMS!

how could you guys not know when i post links that OMG LINK TO MY SITE!

18. barnsthefatjedi

Feb 17, 2001
    I didn't know that was your site. It was your distinctive yet neanderthalian posting style that gave it away. ;)

19. NOTAA

NOTAA Jedi Youngling

May 8, 2002
    Hello, I am new to these boards.

I think this patch is horrible.

I am new, remeber I have never been here before.

20. barnsthefatjedi

Feb 17, 2001
    Hi! Welcome to the forums and enjoy your stay here blah blah blah. :p

21. Wylding

Wylding Jedi Grand Master star 5

Aug 13, 2000
    Welcome NOTAA and yes that patch does indeed suck.

22. Dan

Mar 15, 1999
    Actually, I like the patch. But it's gotta suck for those of you who only use strong stance and heavy guns, because both have been nerfed.

I like what they did to Strong stance, but DFA should be as easy to pull off as it used to be. I like the slower movement, less damage at beginning and end, and the fact that DFA doesn't kill you if you happen to walk into the blade at the last possible second.

As for guns, I think 25 ammo for a secondary shot is a bit overboard... That's four shots per gun. I think 10 would have been fine.

Overally, I think it's a step in the right direction as far as sabers are concerned, but I think they got a little too excited with what they did to guns.

23. Morrowind

May 2, 2002
    holy crap, they killed my guns!
    BURN LEC BURN.

24. Insane Anakin

Insane Anakin Jedi Padawan star 4

Nov 12, 1999
    It's AA!

*giddy*

The patch is good, the patch is great. Surrender your will, as of this date!

25. Morrowind

May 2, 2002
    ALL YOUR PATCH'S ARE BELONG TO MORROWIND!

Even the ones that fubar my guns [face_plain] [face_plain] [face_plain] [face_plain] [face_plain]

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.