main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Amph JMPR: Jumper film, series & Impulse series [YouTube Red]

Discussion in 'Community' started by Twinky_Stryder, Oct 11, 2007.

1. Yodaminch

Yodaminch Chosen One star 6

Mar 6, 2002

I have to say, that review alone has convinced me not to ever see this movie. Suffering through his wooden deliveries in AOTC and ROTS was enough.

2. Vortigern99

Vortigern99 Manager Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 12, 2000
    Nevermind the critics' confused dismissal: I just saw the film and I thought it was a solid, three-star-out-of-five affair. Jumper is a fun, exciting sci-fi/action film featuring a true-to-life character who starts out selfish and greedy, and ends up becoming a hero. The early scenes do not engage emotionally, but intellectually; it's such a terrific concept it's hard not to stay with it just to see where it's going. It's true that in the first act you don't really care for this jerk kid who turns a blind eye to human suffering. But then something happens -- a series of character-building and plot-thickening events -- and the movie's off and running! The third-act action sequences are FREAKING AWESOME and must be seen to be believed. I fail to understand what is supposed to be so boring or vague about this film, and Christensen's performance is fine. All the negativity being heaped on this movie is totally undeserved, IMO. We've never seen action scenes like this, and judging by the public's reaction to it, we never will again.

3. Jedi_Reject_Jesse

Jedi_Reject_Jesse Jedi Grand Master star 7

Aug 26, 2004
    Hayden is a good actor -- great in Shattered Glass.

4. Darth_Berserker

Darth_Berserker Jedi Youngling star 3

Apr 12, 2005
    brillaint film although i felt it seemed a little short and dived into the story way to quick, effects were good too, 8.10

5. LilyHobbitJedi

LilyHobbitJedi Jedi Knight star 5

Aug 29, 2005
    I really liked Jumper, but the ending was a bit abrupt, and some things weren't resolved totally.

6. Tyi-Maet_Nefer

Tyi-Maet_Nefer Jedi Master star 6

Jun 17, 2005
    Solid film, this Jumper. I was entertained. It could be picked apart ... as the plot in it just leaves way too much to say ... but the action, effects and entertainment value remained pretty good I felt.

The ending also reminded me so much of how The Bourne Identity ended.

Agreed.

7. Vortigern99

Nov 12, 2000
    It does seem a bit short, but it serves the story since this is a set-up for the next movie (which I gather will not be made now that everyone supposedly hates it). I would have liked a little more exposition in the final scene with his mother, in which certain plot elements might have been explained, such as the worm-hole machine and what, if any, is the biological or technological connection between a high-level Paladin (his mother) and a super-powerful jumper (himself). Presumably these matters would have been dealt with in sequels, which are not now likely to be filmed. [face_frustrated]

8. Jedi_Reject_Jesse

Jedi_Reject_Jesse Jedi Grand Master star 7

Aug 26, 2004
    Yeah I heard this was supposed to be a trilogy.

9. The2ndQuest

The2ndQuest Tri-Mod With a Mouth star 10 Staff Member Manager

Jan 27, 2000
    I enjoyed this- it's not great, but it's fun fare- but it could have used an extra 5 or 10 minutes to elaborate on the characters. In particular the plot point of Sam Jackson finding out the one Paladin was the mother was introduced but had no continuation. Seems like he would have followed that up in his investigation.

It has strange pacing- it has a nice, calm pacing (likely intentional to correspond to his lifestyle) initially, which gives us a really nice look into how he's using his abilities and literally using the world as his sandbox. Once the action kicks in though, it seems they rushed through the film too quickly.

I also wasn't a fan of shaky cam style during the action scenes- they were dissorienting, making it hard to follow the action on screen, lacking the clarity of how the same technique was used in the Bourne films, or even Cloverfield.

Hayden was good here though= much better than his SW work, though not as good as his LAAH performance. I really wish there had been more non-combat dialogue between him and Sam though- their first meeting was a great scene.

I really would like to see the trilogy finish out if it manages to overcome the bad reviews.

10. LAJ_FETT

LAJ_FETT Tech Admin (2007-2023) - She Held Us Together star 10 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

May 25, 2002
    The reviews I saw in the UK press this weekend were mostly either so-so or bad. The ones with 'star' rankings gave it 2 out of 5.

11. EMPEROR_WINDU

EMPEROR_WINDU Force Ghost star 5

Nov 23, 2002
    It was a decent movie. It certainly doesn't deserve a 14 percent or whatever on RT.com. I enjoyed myself and I wasn't expecting an Oscar worthy performance from anyone. The 3/4 full theatre on a Saturday afternoon seemed to all enjoy it too.

Jedi Knight Fett likes this.
  12. The2ndQuest

Jan 27, 2000
    Pulled in 33.8 mil since thursday- not bad at all. Might still get a sequel after all.

13. Vortigern99

Nov 12, 2000
    ^ ^ I hope so! The movie seems designed for sequels, and IMO deserves better than the response critics are giving it.

14. Jedi Merkurian

Jedi Merkurian Future Films Rumor Naysayer star 7 Staff Member Manager

May 25, 2000
    Saw it. Liked it :)

15. Dark_Jedi_Kenobi

Dark_Jedi_Kenobi Manager Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Oct 3, 2004
    I'm hoping to see it this week. If it continues to make some money, I think a sequel is a real possibility. But first it needs to make back its budget of $85 million.

16. Mayor_Adam_West

Mayor_Adam_West Jedi Master star 2

Aug 22, 2006
    Saw it yesterday with two of my brothers. We all thought it was better than critics are giving it credit for. I'd definitely see a sequel. Hopefully this movie does well enough to get one made.

17. LilyHobbitJedi

LilyHobbitJedi Jedi Knight star 5

Aug 29, 2005
    I really hope they do make a sequel, that have a lot of loose ends that need to be tied.

18. Cellist

Cellist Jedi Padawan star 4

Jul 7, 2003
    I really liked it. Solid performances from everyone.

19. Jedi_Keiran_Halcyon

Jedi_Keiran_Halcyon Jedi Knight star 6

Dec 17, 2000
    Ever think that maybe the 'designed for sequels' aspect is one of the things people are hating about it?

It's bad enough that it's become a given that no big franchise will ever tell a complete story in a single installment these days, but when even original, non-franchise movies are half-trailers for their sequels, it starts to get really disgusting.

20. The2ndQuest

Jan 27, 2000
    I dunno- I'm a fan of serialized storytelling, especially if you have too much story to tell in the runtime of asingle film (Spider-Man 3, I'm looking at you). Better they try to spread a story out to the proper length needed to tell it than squeeze it all into the span of a single film. Particularly in the case of material being adapted from a series of books.

21. Vortigern99

Nov 12, 2000
    I agree with 2ndQuest. What's wrong with serialized story-telling? Sci-fi/fantasy fiction has its roots in serial publications of the 30s and 40s, and sci-fi cinema has its antecedents in the Republic serials of the same era. One might complain that the only reason, say, ER Burroughs kept publishing Tarzan stories was because they sold, but that's ignoring that the public was hungry for them, and as a result we've got some damn fine adventure/fantasy fiction that will llikely last the ages. Commerce and art proceed together hand in hand. Bring on the sequels!

22. Julia-Wan

Julia-Wan Jedi Youngling star 1

Apr 26, 2007
    It seems to me like an exiting movie.. I would go and see it. :eek:

23. rumsmuggler

rumsmuggler Chosen One star 7

Aug 31, 2000
    I enjoyed this film. I want to read the novels now..

24. Tabula Rasa

Tabula Rasa Administrator Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 8, 1998
    I liked it. I hope the sequels happen. Lots of loose ends left to be tied up.

25. Jedi_Keiran_Halcyon

Jedi_Keiran_Halcyon Jedi Knight star 6

Dec 17, 2000
    My problem comes when someone is making a movie that has no guarantee nor immediate plans to continue the story by producing the next installment. Those classic movie serials you talk about had one new chapter a week coming out until the whole story was told. If it isn't made as some kind of generally continuous production schedule, then it isn't really a serial. It's the reason seasons of TV shows in the UK are referred to as 'series'; each one is a series of episodes produced together as a single and coherent unit. The pairs of Back to the Future, Matrix, and Pirates sequels are serial. The X-Men, Spider-Man, etc. series are not.

Raiders of the Lost Ark is a great setup film. The Bourne Identity is a great setup film. Star Wars is a great setup film. They make you want more without making you feel like the movie you just saw was incomplete or that you've been told a lesser, 'pre' story. They don't FEEL like setup films. Most franchise films these days DO. Studios keep churning out movies that are as much extended franchise trailers as they are actual complete films, and as I said I think critics (as well a good number of regular people) are getting tired of it.