main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Amph JMS Ending Thor Run- Might Be Doing Superman Next

Discussion in 'Archive: SF&F: Books and Comics' started by The2ndQuest , Jun 30, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. The2ndQuest

The2ndQuest Tri-Mod With a Mouth star 10 Staff Member Manager

Jan 27, 2000
    Full interview here

I've been loving his Thor run (needed something to hold me over post-Spidey) but I would have liked it have gotten another year or two out of it. A shame he's having problems running into Big Events again, as that's one of the things that unhinged his Spidey run at the end as it was just crossover after crossover.

If he is moving to DC and writing Supes...I'll probably pick up a Superman comic title regularly for the first time ever.

2. Soontir-Fel

Soontir-Fel Force Ghost star 5

Dec 18, 2001
    The Superman books have been amazing this past year and you are a bad person for not picking them up. Plus I don't want to see any of the writers replaced, because they are sooooo good. Also there's a big Supes event planned for next year so moving from Thor because of the big events to Superman would make no sense.

3. chiss_man

chiss_man Jedi Master star 6

Jul 1, 2002
    It'll take a massive effort to keep me on Thor after JMS, since I didn't really care for the property before him. But we'll see. Anyway, JMS on Superman would be a slam dunk for DC sales wise, even if it messes with the New Krypton stuff going on. They could also make a new incarnation of All-Star Superman for him to play with as well, if they don't want to mess with things.

4. Soontir-Fel

Dec 18, 2001
    Quietly and Morrison are untouchable so it would just bee kind of sad

5. The2ndQuest

Jan 27, 2000
    Yeah, it is odd for him to go from Thor due to a big event to Superman, who'll almost certainly be in every major DC event, but I suppose his outright love of the character overrides that.

JMS: Suffice to say: anyone who knows me knows that there's something I've wanted to do for my entire creative life, something that I'd give my right arm to write...something I've been actively chasing for over ten years. There's one character, one property, that if George Lucas said "Here's a million dollars, go write whatever you want and I'll shoot it, but you'll have to drop that book," I would say no and never, ever look back.

6. Spiderfan

Spiderfan Jedi Knight star 5

Mar 9, 2004
    I would love to see him return to Spidey again but given the problems he had at the end of his run and the fact that everyone but me seems to love new-Spidey I don't see it happening. Whatever book he does next is sure to be a masterpeice IMO. I mean how many people could put a new spin on the spidey origin and make it not only good, but remarkably compelling.

God I miss Ezekiel.

7. Jedi Ben

Jedi Ben Chosen One star 9

Jul 19, 1999
    I find myself in agreement with Soontir, I'd be very surprised if he ends up on the Super-books given the way the trio of Rucka, Robinson and Gates have revitalised the books. There's a real sense of confidence, planning and ambition in the books right now, but they are also linking to each other - in ways that invite rather than require the reader to buy - in a way I can't see JMS enjoying given that he's left Thor due, in part, to an impending event.

That said, if DC really wanted to do it, the best option would be to do it in the way they are doing Johns' upcoming Superman: Secret Origin and Adventure Comics - have them initially seperate pieces of work that you link in later.

8. darth-sinister

darth-sinister Manager Emeritus star 10 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 28, 2001
    My guess is that he could be given Superman/Batman, which doesn't fit into continuity directly and isn't affected by New Krypton.

9. Darth-Lando

Darth-Lando Jedi Grand Master star 6

Aug 12, 2002
    Yeah, JMS is leaving Thor because of editorial mandates to have him tie in and use Thor in Marvel's next big event. I highly doubt he'll go to DC just to be forced to incorporate anything he writes into one of their crossovers. He just wants to do his own thing and not have to worry about what a dozen different writers are doing for their books.

10. darth-sinister

darth-sinister Manager Emeritus star 10 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 28, 2001
    Yep. That's why he's writing The Brave & The Bold and the Red Circle issues. So he can avoid being brought into major crossovers. If he isn't given Superman/Batman, he could be given a separate Superman title.

11. The2ndQuest

Jan 27, 2000
    It'll be very interesting to see his take on the character, contrasting it to his work on Supreme Power (which was, in essence, re-enivisioning the Justice League anyways).

12. Darth-Lando

Aug 12, 2002
    Something akin to Astonishing X-Men would work best. Part of the continuity, but so far removed that it never crosses over with anything.

13. Soontir-Fel

Dec 18, 2001
    I thought it was more a re-envisioning of the original Squadron Supreme which was itself a re-envisioning of the JL.

14. JoinTheSchwarz

JoinTheSchwarz Former Head Admin star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 21, 2002
    Very sad news. :( I was loving his Thor run.

I wonder who his replacement is going to be. Wasn't Jason Aaron supposed to take over another high-profile Marvel book?

15. The2ndQuest

Jan 27, 2000
    Ends up being the same result- no way to redo SS without doing the JL connections.

16. Darth-Lando

Aug 12, 2002
    They did find away, by making it awful. If you've read any of the post "Ultimate Power" issues of Squadron Supreme they almost did away with the JL re-imagining and did it to the Avengers and FF instead. All with Samuel L. Jackson-style Nick Fury. Couldn't hold a candle to JMS's stuff.

17. Soontir-Fel

Dec 18, 2001
    Also, Supreme Power was supreme bull**** and **** Greg Land.

18. JoinTheSchwarz

Nov 21, 2002
    Yes, it was terrible. A pity, for Supreme Power was excellent.

19. The2ndQuest

Jan 27, 2000
    Hmm, never did get around to reading issues of SS. I think I read all of SP, some of Doctor Spectrum and one or two of the SP character-specific miniseries.

20. Soontir-Fel

Dec 18, 2001
    I mean Ultimate Power.

God that sucked.

21. NJOfan215

NJOfan215 Jedi Grand Master star 5

May 17, 2003
    I think JMS on superman Batman would be awesome. I also don't think JMS will be working on any of the mjor superman books any time soon becasue it seems like DC has there superman plans laid out for a while. Maybe i could see him doing World of New Krypton since Robinson and Rucka are kind of squeezing it in, but i think that is a long shot.

22. Jedi_Johnson

Jedi_Johnson Jedi Grand Master star 5

Apr 6, 2002
    I would also love to see JMS return to Spidey. I've been a JMS fan since B5 and with the exception of Sins Past I really enjoyed JMS's run on ASM.

Same here, but with Marvel there's always hope of people showing up again.

23. Spiderfan

Mar 9, 2004
    As much as I love the characters I sincerely hope not. His story is finished and complete and was wonderfully done, but what I meant was that he represents one of my favorite periods in Spidey history and its that era that I miss.

24. JoinTheSchwarz

Nov 21, 2002
    I really like BND but I know what you mean: I feel the same about Grant Morrison's New X-Men.

25. Spiderfan

Mar 9, 2004
    BND gets a bad rap and I certainly contribute to that. Since New Ways to Die its definitely been better than the end of JMS's run. However its the concept itself, more than the execution that has me frustrated. The willful retconning of material that worked just fine in the right hands, for reasons I still can't entirely comprehend. Now the series has turned out better than I thought it would, and sadly I find myself having to back track and find the issues I skipped in futile protest, but IMO that doesn't change the fact Marvel intentionally said "**** you" to roughly 20 years of history and just decided to rework whatever they wanted into a new time line without rhyme or reason. That's been the most infuriating part.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.