main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

JNH's Peter Pan

Discussion in 'Star Wars And Film Music' started by Mastadge, Jun 11, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Mastadge

Mastadge Manager Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 4, 1999
    I remembering enjoying this score quite a bit in the film, but I was wondering how it stands on its own. Some of the critics I seem to recall panning it for lacking cohesiveness and basically not being as good as Hook, but it's got a perfect 5-star rating over at Amazon. So: how does it stand? A worthy purchase, do you think?

2. ST-TPM-ASF-TNE

ST-TPM-ASF-TNE Moderator Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 27, 2001
    I've listened to it. I personally think its a beautiful and energetic score. The track Flying is my favorite. Very exciting to hear, and even better if you've seen the movie first.

I haven't bought it yet (I can ever find it in stores), but I would suggest buying it.

3. Well_Of_Souls

Well_Of_Souls Jedi Master star 5

Aug 26, 2001
    I'm a huge James Newton Howard fan so I'm a little biased, but I think it's a very worthy score. It's a little unfair to compare it to Hook considering that that score is a modern masterpiece, but Peter Pan is very enjoyable in it's own right.

There are a few too many "micky-mousey" moments for my tastes, but it's still worth looking in to.

4. TwiLekJedi

TwiLekJedi Pretty Ex-Mod star 10 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 14, 2001
    I absolutely love the movie. Didn't notice the music much the first time I saw it in theater, but very much when I watched it 20 times on DVD :D

Only thing is ... I'm listening to Edward Scissorhands right now and it reminds me a lot of the Peter Pan Score, in parts. :confused:
    Maybe I just watched PP too many times....

5. halibut

halibut Ex-Mod star 8 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Aug 27, 2000
    I started a thread on this when the moooovie came out. A staggering score, and a great film!

Yup, "flying" is superb as is "I do believe in fairies"

6. TwiLekJedi

Jun 14, 2001
    Just bought it.

Don't have anything constructive to add, but thought I'd let you know :p

7. Mastadge

Jun 4, 1999
    I've listened to it a few times now. Basically I agree with the general critical concensus: it's got some really good material, but it's not more than the sum of its parts as the best scores are. A lot of the tracks are really pretty, but they don't tie together into something more. It's solid, but not great.

8. TwiLekJedi

Jun 14, 2001
    Yeah, something's definitely missing.

Also, I think it's too short. I can't think of anything that's in the movie but not on the CD, though :confused:

EDIT: by the way, Mas, do you guys have a Peter Pan thread in Amp? Somewhere?

9. Mastadge

Jun 4, 1999
    No Peter Pan thread, though there should be, considering all the incarnations of the story and the new prequel novel by Dave Barry and that other guy.

10. halibut

Aug 27, 2000
    I can't think of anything that's in the movie but not on the CD, though

From what I remember (and I saw the film once when it first came out), there was a great choral piece of music in the cave, reminiscent of a requiem. Is that on the ST?

11. TwiLekJedi

Jun 14, 2001
    Either it is or I've been quoting Hook all day long during the wrong cue :p

12. halibut

Aug 27, 2000
    Which cue is that one?

13. TwiLekJedi

Jun 14, 2001
    Well, I checked and it's at the end of "Set Them Free". It's definitely the "It's your requiem mass, boy" cue.

14. JediMasterLuminara

JediMasterLuminara Jedi Youngling star 1

May 27, 2002
    I wasn't completly sold on the soundtrack, sounded too... electric to me :) But I thought the Fairy Dance piece was beautiful.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.