main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

JCC [Jobs] I got one

Discussion in 'Community' started by solojones, May 25, 2013.

1. Mar17swgirl

Mar17swgirl Chosen One star 7

Dec 26, 2000
    That's, like, the ultimate fangirl's dream, right? :p

2. Everton

Everton Chosen One star 10

Jul 18, 2003
    Well, yeah. :p

3. yankee8255

yankee8255 Force Ghost star 6

May 31, 2005
    Either no one's paying attention or you people really don't get my sense of humor.

4. DarthTunick

DarthTunick SFTC VII + Deadpool BOFF star 10 VIP - Game Host

Nov 26, 2000
    It wasn't that funny of a joke.

5. Darth Guy

Darth Guy Chosen One star 10

Aug 16, 2002
    I got it!

I'm sure she'll enjoy writing for both Irene and Moriarty.

6. solojones

solojones Chosen One star 10

Sep 27, 2000
    I've had an awesome first week so far. I am already the go-to person for any sort of nerdy information, or recollection of specific episodes of nerdy shows. My time on the JC isn't completely pointless! :p

Debo, if you or some others are genuinely interested in reading a sample of my work, PM me an email address and I may send something your way. My best combination of an accessible/not too long sample is a Dexter spec script I wrote a few years ago, though if you've not seen Dexter it wouldn't make much sense :p But it's the script that got me my first job on another show. I have a Sherlock spec also, but their scripts are insanely long because of all the on-screen text and Sherlock speaking super fast (the one sample one they've released was 110 pages plus 20 more partial pages of added scenes to the shooting script. So mine is around 120 as well). I'm not sure anyone wants to read something that long. But spec scripts are definitely a major part of writing samples and practice. My completely original work I prefer to keep to myself since it's all in varying stages of continued development. Mostly, my current project is just a bunch of notes right now :p

7. GrandAdmiralJello

GrandAdmiralJello Comms Admin ❉ Moderator Communitatis Litterarumque star 10 Staff Member Administrator

Nov 28, 2000
    Geez, I worked (very, very indirectly) for the President of the United States and didn't get that kind of praise. What did she pay you to write that panegyric? :p

8. solojones

Sep 27, 2000
    You mean why didn't he write you a dirty sex poem too? Well obviously Jay you aren't an evil conniving lady Macbeth like me and all of Wocky's other favorites.

9. Jabba-wocky

Jabba-wocky Chosen One star 10

May 4, 2003
    You were in the service of Barack Hussein Obama. What could I possibly say? What could anyone?

10. dp4m

dp4m Chosen One star 10

Nov 8, 2001
    [​IMG]

Asterix_of_Gaul likes this.
  11. I Are The Internets

I Are The Internets Shelf of Shame Host star 9 VIP - Game Host

Nov 20, 2012
    Congrats! That's really very cool and all sorts of awesome!! One of my career ideas is going into screenwriting since I'm an English major and Writing minor. It's great to see when people pursue their dreams.

12. Asterix_of_Gaul

Asterix_of_Gaul Jedi Master star 5

Sep 13, 2007

Margaery Tyrell is not a virgin. She is a sex person.

13. Jabba-wocky

May 4, 2003

How dare you. It is beyond the pale to even make that accusation about a normal person, let alone her. I would rather you just spit on me than say something like that.

14. dp4m

dp4m Chosen One star 10

Nov 8, 2001
    //spits on Wocky AND calls Margaery a slut!

TahiriVeilaSolo69 likes this.
  15. Asterix_of_Gaul

Sep 13, 2007

Sometimes, normal people have sex.

16. FamousAmos

FamousAmos VIP star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Feb 9, 2003
    Don't try and reason with Wocky. Logic and wocky don't exist on the same plane.

Boba_Fett_2001 likes this.
  17. Jabba-wocky

May 4, 2003
    Oh, Asterix.

I have no doubt that you'd like to believe she is some invertebrate writhing about in a miry cesspool of intercourse and debauchery. That her mind is some awful hissing thing driven only by the basest instincts. But it only shows how little you actually understand the character. Go back and re-watch the orphanage scene, and you might perhaps begin to grasp how much more precious she is.

18. Harpua

Harpua Chosen One star 9

Mar 12, 2005
    Precious people have sex... they also pee, poop, fart, and pick their noses.

Juliet316 likes this.
  19. Darth Guy

Darth Guy Chosen One star 10

Aug 16, 2002
    Often at the same time.

jp-30 and harpuah like this.
  20. GrandAdmiralJello

GrandAdmiralJello Comms Admin ❉ Moderator Communitatis Litterarumque star 10 Staff Member Administrator

Nov 28, 2000
    I feel the need to point out that an invertebrate probably wouldn't enjoy debauchery all that much, on account of the inability to support a complex nervous system.

21. Asterix_of_Gaul

Sep 13, 2007
    You're strange. :)

22. Debo

Debo Force Ghost star 6

Sep 27, 2001
    Got it. That is actually a very good script. I half-expected maybe glorified fan fiction, and that I'd have to say something politely casual about it, but I'm positively surprised. It played out as an actual episode, I couldn't detect anything that was off or goofy. What struck me is that the supporting characters are all spot-on, as I suppose that's where a lesser writer would stumble. All the characters come alive on the page. To write it like that you not only need to be a good writer, you must also possess a fair talent for mimicry--you have to make someone else's characters believable and catch the right tone, the right mood.

Yes, thumbs up.

23. solojones

Sep 27, 2000
    Thank you! It's definitely the goal of a spec script for an existing show to demonstrate to potential employers and agents that you not only have ideas of your own, but you're capable of understanding another writers' characters and world well enough that you can graft your ideas onto theirs. This isn't as important if you just want to write features, but as an aspiring TV writer it's invaluable because most of the time you'll be writing episodes of shows you didn't create yourself. You're all sort of professional fanfic writers (or maybe, more appropriately, you're RPers working together in someone else's world), though hopefully a pro is vastly better than most fanfic writers ;)

So yes, saying it felt just like the real show is definitely the ultimate compliment, thank you. :) I agree that getting supporting characters right and having B and C plots for them is a huge part of what makes a spec feel authentic. It's also something that sets it apart from most fanfic, where writers usually focus on the couple characters they want to, rather than writing every character and giving them stories the way the show does. This script got me my first writers' room internship a few years ago, which then led to my current job. So I'm still quite proud and fond of it. Even though looking at it now with some distance, I can see ways to tweak scenes here and there to make them even better. Which is good, because as a writer you hope to always continue getting better.

I'm glad you found it enjoyable, and thank you for the compliments and taking the time to read it!

Also, Asterix_of_Gaul, I'm going to punch you in your stupid French nose the next time I see you :p

24. Asterix_of_Gaul

Sep 13, 2007
    I abhor violence.

25. Harpua

Harpua Chosen One star 9

Mar 12, 2005
    It's fun when done correctly.