main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Jobs

Discussion in 'Archive: Boston, MA' started by bmwgurl17, Aug 14, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. bmwgurl17

bmwgurl17 Jedi Master star 3

Jul 11, 2005
    I know this is random,but i need a job...and im 15.Can I get a job at a movie theater??

2. hchristensenfan

hchristensenfan Jedi Padawan star 4

Jul 24, 2003
    Hello, you can probably find a job at a movie theatre. Good luck finding a job. :)

3. bmwgurl17

bmwgurl17 Jedi Master star 3

Jul 11, 2005
    Thanks.Yeah i havent checked out the age limit yet.What about grocery stores.I think Stop and shop is 16 or 17yrs old.

4. chewykingwookie

chewykingwookie Jedi Padawan star 4

Jul 24, 2005
    I think most places are 16+. I know in OH when I was that age you could be under 16 but you needed a work permit and you had limited hrs. Now that I think about it I needed a work permit as well but I could what as many hrs as I wanted to. I got 40+ during the summer and on breaks.

5. hchristensenfan

Jul 24, 2003
    You might want to check with your town on whether or not they requiere work permits.

6. DarthMoby

DarthMoby Jedi Padawan star 4

Apr 10, 2002
    Hiya,

Work permits will be required for 99.9% of jobs.

Also when applying for a job, ask for an I-9 form and look on the back to make sure you have proper ID's needed to gain employment in the US.

Movie theaters or supermarkets are good at age 15. However, fast food joints are your best chance for work. Problem is your age though. Their are lot of rules for working at your age.

First off, you can work 40 hours a week max. Once school starts, that numbers jumps down to 20 max. It gets even better, once in school you cannot work on consecitive school nights.

You hours are limited to 7AM to 7PM. Once school starts it drops to 3PM to 6:45PM and you can only work 3 hours a day max. On weekends you can still come in at 7AM and work a max 8 hour day.

Because of these restrictions, most places are weary of hiring 14-15 year olds. Once you turn 16 you can work 40 hours a week and up to 10PM each night. A much better proposition to employers. You might say what a couple of hours extra a week at 15? Here the problem, if audited, the company found violating any under 16 labor laws face some steep fines. Lets say you punch out on a saturday night at 7:01PM. If the Dept of Labor finds out, BAM, $10,000 fine. Punch out 5 minutes late, that $50,000 the company can loose. If the company has in the mind of the Labor Board too many offenses, it can force to company to let all of their 14-15 yr olds go. Then they cannot hire any until the board says its okay.

Now that I've lost you with boredom, good luck getting some work. I was just trying give you some info so you know what you were up against.

7. hchristensenfan

Jul 24, 2003
    Wow that is a lot of restrictions!

8. chewykingwookie

chewykingwookie Jedi Padawan star 4

Jul 24, 2005
    Those restrictions sound similar to the ones my buds had when we were in high school back in Ohio many moons again. I was 16 so I just needed a regular permit and I could work late, which sucked in the food biz because closings could take hrs depending on the mood of the GM. And most of the time she wasn't in a good mood. lol

9. hchristensenfan

Jul 24, 2003
    And most of the time she wasn't in a good mood. lol
    That sounds like fun...

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.