main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Jedi / Light Side Jocasta Nu - making progress!

Discussion in 'Costuming and Props' started by MomMaster, Aug 14, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. VillieGee

VillieGee Jedi Youngling star 3

Oct 30, 2002
    Hello. I thought I'd poke my head in here for a sec. One other idea for the design without embroidering is to draw the design on the computer, and print it on iron-on transfers. You could even give the little lines their own highlights and shadows to enhance the effect.

Just my 2 cents!

2. SallyOwens

SallyOwens Jedi Youngling star 1

Aug 5, 2003
    Thanks - I have been working on it on and off for longer than that actually, but I didn't really get a fire under me until a few months ago :)

I had a hard time deciding on the color of the skirt as well, but after countless photos and reviewing the movies and materials, I decided black was the way to go - at least for me.

I'm actually not certain she's wearing two skirts, but one very long wrap skirt - there's definately two layers of skirt along the front, but from the folds and what looks to be an end point I believe it to be just one - very long, and overlapping - but one ;)

What did you wear under your skirt? It has body in the movie from the way she's moving. I have an underskirt right now that works, but is a little TOO poofy for my tastes, and I'm hoping to have time to make a quick smaller one before D*C :p

The edging is basically just a bias that I seamed to the side and pressed under, securing with fabric glue that will be hand stitched after D*C :p I was going to do a cording, but the more I looked at the close up of the edging it was flat, not rounded.

Someone mentioned an iron on - I think that's a great option for someone doing a V1.0 of this costume, or if they want to make it and they don't have oodles of time ;) But as for authenticity goes, I really think the small double zig-zag is the way to go.

3. MomMaster

MomMaster Jedi Youngling star 2

Apr 4, 2006
    [image=http://i95.photobucket.com/albums/l154/SingerSewer/Jocasta%20Nu/Pict0383.jpg]

Here are 2 of the "tools" that my husband has been making. They still need to be painted but you can see the diff. parts he used. He thought one was a flute type thing.

for the double skirt - When I made Shmi's skirt, I sewed about a 12 inch layer underneath the bottom of the skirt to make it look like 2 skirts. It beat wearing 2 layers!

4. Jedi_Kai

Jedi_Kai Jedi Padawan star 4

May 27, 2001
    thanks for the image. I really can't tell what they are made of though. Can barely tell one might have once been an instrument. Looks like he's making good progress.

Sally,
    RE 2 skirts: In seeing the real costume and reviewing my photos, I'm just next to absolutely certain it is 2 skirts. To save on the raw silk, I made the underskirt of cotton and then added 5 inches at the bottom of the same raw silk out of which I made the shorter overskirt.

thanks for the info on the piping. Looking at my high res closeups, there might be a little "poof" of a thin cord but maybe not. Hope I have enough fabric to make 13 yards of bias tape! I might have to buy more.

5. johnny_nod

johnny_nod Jedi Youngling star 3

Dec 31, 2003
    Yes, it's def. a folded bias braid. I can't find the right color. Actually, I'm not cutting my strips on the bias since it's all straight edges. So far!...

6. Jauhzmynn

Jauhzmynn Jedi Padawan star 4

Jun 16, 2002
    Humm maybe the skirts are lined?

I can't figure out that tunic colur. Anyone know what that is?

7. Jedi_Kai

May 27, 2001
    At FIDM, using paint chips as a poor costumer's pantone card, in the lighting such as it was, I matched the paint chip card to the costume....the color is a kind of yellow....

Glidden "relaxed and cozy" series; Honeysweet 10YY49/378 You can go to your hardware and pick up that card to see the color for yourself.

8. widow_skywalker

widow_skywalker Jedi Youngling star 3

Jul 5, 2005
    I am so happy to see this thread! I started making a modified version of this costume when I thought I would have the money to go to C4, and since that has gone the way of the do-do, I am still chugging away at this. I decided to go for a "young Jocasta Nu" and modified the skirt and tabs a bit, making the lengths shorter, reflecting youth with a slightly shorter, less full skirt(showing some ankle...), and reducing the lenghth of the tabs, reflecting the idea that Trisha Biggar used with Obi-Wan's costumes, that the length changes with age.

As for the skirt, I think it looks like its a well-worn black, which often appears to have brown low-lights in different lighting. Also, it depends on the dye and the reaction with the fabric.

9. MomMaster

Apr 4, 2006
    I think I agree with you. I had bought some really nice black fabric and after thinking that it was a sort of brown, I tried to put my black fabric in wash with some bleach thinking I would get the well-worn black look but the black didn't budge.

10. widow_skywalker

widow_skywalker Jedi Youngling star 3

Jul 5, 2005
    I did the same thing, just without the bleach, and I used some hot water and just kept re-washing the fabric with a little bit of sand mixed into the wash water, and it really worked wonders with the coloring. If I could find my digital camera I would put a pic up.

11. MomMaster

Apr 4, 2006

The parts he used were diff. lamp parts, rubber things, plastic pipe, toggle bolt,...

12. Jedi_Kai

May 27, 2001
    Well, it might be back to the drawing board or maybe I don't care. Someone at Dragon*Con told me about someone who actually got to handle the costume while at FIDM and the designs are appliqued, not just embroidered.

Sigh.

I think I know who she is so I'm going to email her to ask. My high resolution images are still not good enough to see the grain of the fabric to be able to determine the issue of applique.

13. Jedi_Kai

May 27, 2001
    Received a reply from Colleen, wife of Obi-Shawn

"I was trying to figure out why the costume on screen
    and in person "popped" and the fan-made versions I've
    seen didn't. It turns out that several of the designs
    are cut out, turned 90 degrees, and sewn back in. Then
    the entire tabbard is ebroidered over. Because the
    fabric has a nap, it really makes those pieces stand
    out and "pop."

I'm not sure how they decided which pieces to do this
    to. It seemed to be about 25-30% of the designs,
    scattered throughout."

Since it's not every single one, that might be do-able.

14. MomMaster

Apr 4, 2006
    Jedi_Kai, My SON and I put my book under the light...HE noticed the grain of certain "pieces" in the lower tabards to run differently!

I finished my tabards and am quite happy with them. Unless I enter it in a Tailoring contest or a stitching contest, I can't see that anyone will ever take note of this.
    If I ever re-make this again for some spectacular occasion, then I will consider this.
    If I hadn't already gotten this far in my costume, I may have considered doing it this way.
    :)
    (Thanks for the tip on the Silk Noir...it looks like a good match. I haven't found my tunic material yet!)

15. Jedi_Kai

May 27, 2001
    I got out the bright light and the magnifying glass and I saw it, too.

16. Leia214

Leia214 Jedi Youngling star 3

Oct 24, 2004
    It's great seeing this thread active! I have been costuming as Jocasta Nu for about two years - I do a 'young' version of her wearing palazzo-style pants and have received lots of compliments on it. I also have a skirt but I did it originally in black, like others.

My obi and tabbards are currently done in black paint pen but I have been meaning to get them embroidered over before C4. I want to check out my 'Dressing' book now though to see what you all are referring to with the appliques.

Here is a pic of mine - I also used this outfit for my Rebel Legion cards. I have a leather pouch but hadn't attempted any tool/accessories - maybe next go round!

[image=http://img101.imageshack.us/img101/6148/jonuru3.jpg]

17. Jedi-Loreen

Jedi-Loreen Jedi Padawan star 4

Dec 2, 2002
    This costume has really long tabards, even longer than Qui-Gonn's. It doesn't look quite right with tabards the same length as the tunic.

18. spacelady

spacelady Jedi Grand Master star 5

Mar 16, 2003
    :rolleyes:

It still looks good to me. Great job. :D

~Spacelady

19. HardwareStoreJedi

HardwareStoreJedi Jedi Youngling star 2

Mar 10, 2006
    That looks nice...Jocasta Nu as a younger Jedi would probably have an outfit more like that. That huge long set of tabards and the long skirt would get in the way of her adventuring. Wasn't she sort of like a distaff Indiana Jones back in her prime? Lara Croft without the bodaciousness? Running around actively researching the history of the Jedi Order and retrieving artifacts? Maybe that's just wishful thinking on my part. Oh well. Looks cool anyway.

20. MomMaster

Apr 4, 2006
    Do you think this thread will make in in the thread index?

21. Leia214

Leia214 Jedi Youngling star 3

Oct 24, 2004
    I remade them after this pic was done . . . this was the only pic I had my work computer when I replied to the thread.;)

22. Jedi_Kai

May 27, 2001
    Good idea. PM'ed the Mod.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.