main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

OOC Jocasta Nu's Coffee House: For All Your OOC Discussion Needs!

Discussion in 'Role Playing Resource' started by DarthXan318, May 10, 2010.

1. Ramza

Ramza Administrator Emeritus star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 13, 2008
    Sort of reeks of a glorified GM PC, if you ask me. The big questions are, as always: Will people play the game? and Is this ideally suited to being an RPG? If it's a yes and a yes, you might as well go for it.

2. LordTroepfchen

LordTroepfchen Jedi Grand Master star 4

Apr 9, 2007
    Looking at it I wonder something else. Is it meant for more than one player? If it is a one-on-one I see no problem at all. Many storylines are one-on-one and work just fine. Cutting the rest of the game would not hurt, would it?

If it is meant to be a game which people join it depends on one factor. Is it attractive as a whole? I see a single charcter in the center can be a problem. Jealousy, people feeling they play secondary roles and dropping out. Then again I believe we had characters here who would probably have carried a game easily at their times. They were just very rare. I could imagine some characters - Kira Romar comes to mind - who would have been a good reason for people to join. What you just need is people interested in that specific character.

Just to clarify, are we talking of Original Sin here?

And Ramzas question is obviously a good one. Is it suited for an RPG? If it is really a storyline - one on one - like most games got dozens, it is good. But otherwise it might be fanfic or a good chat game, actually.

I believe Lea Monde I was pretty much that kind of game. Max Payne too, but that one was decided was better suited for chat. Einstein was Wrong always appeared to me to be something like that, too.

3. DarthXan318

DarthXan318 Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 12, 2002
    Lea Monde I wasn't intended to be a one-on-one game, to be fair. It just sort of happened because the other three players left. :p

4. TheSithGirly

TheSithGirly Jedi Master star 4

Apr 26, 2007
    Actually it is like the movies (again). Most characters are great and peferctly fine, but to carry a game you need a special kind of character which do come around only so often. Something iconic, engaging and so liked around here, that people wanna see him/her move forward. Then again, if you do a one-on-two (as I plan to, I am the mystery planning GM) you don´t need an audience. Or a big group. If you got two times a yes, you got yourself a game. It´s just an diea so far, but I would like to do it.

And I totally see it as a game, not fanfic, as I won´t tell my players anything. It is like an isolated storyine from a bigger game. That´s it.

5. TheSithGirly

Apr 26, 2007
    As I am that mystery GM, I must say I believe it might be rare to have a character who is established, liked and charismatic enough to do this kinda thing, but I think a few existed. And the game just came to me and I like it. and I already got another two people liking it. Considering many players look for "minor roles" these days, I think you find quite a descent cast if you look hard enough for it. But actually the main characters would be other players. The "one" I look for is more like a very, very important central character to the plot. But I am not looking for the next big success. Just a small game, because I promised one :)

It is based on a Summer Tournament character that never let me go, really. :)

6. BobaMatt

BobaMatt TFN EU Staff star 7 VIP

Aug 19, 2002
    Re: One-Character Focus.

I don't think that character can be the focus of the game, per se.

If Avatar was about Katara and Sokka dealing with having to, essentially, raise a messiah; if the Matrix was about the crew of the Nebuchadnezzar having suddenly to deal with suddenly having an unlikely hero in their midst, rather than the journey of said hero; if Superman was about the citizens of Metropolis...that's what such an RP would really have to be, at heart.

7. LordTroepfchen

LordTroepfchen Jedi Grand Master star 4

Apr 9, 2007
    I actually kinda disagree with the idea it would not work. A game playing Metropolis? Not superman? but if I got a team of three players of which one plays Supe and another loves to play Lex because he loves the idea and a third play Louis, just because she is cool and does not have to be in every scene so it is cool to play with the other two players . . . you know what you got then? A true Superman game. You know what you do not have? A mass recruiting game. You know what can never be a true Superman game? Yeah.

Therefore if you wanna go big, do the Metropolis game, but the obsession of this board to go big does not mean the other one is a worse game. I totally enjoyed being Max Payne and I appreciated others did join me. The game itself as action heavy was better suited for chat (where it moves a lot faster) but if not for that we would still be open in NSWRPF.

That said. Butter bei de Fische . . . what is it, TSG? Why don´t you tell us about the game, hm? Because I am already interested :p

8. Penguinator

Penguinator Former Mod star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

May 23, 2005
    If you have a whole game devoted to one character, it'll get stale. But if you have say three characters (playing the three lead roles like LordT said) then it could be very interesting indeed.

9. Jabba-wocky

Jabba-wocky Chosen One star 10

May 4, 2003
    Well, in the apparent aftermath (?) of Summer Place, shall we try a post-mortem?

1. Who exactly killed whom, and why?
    2. What was everyone's secrets, and how did it connect to the larger plot?
    3. Who were the captors, who were they working for, and why?

In a word: what.

10. Ramza

Jul 13, 2008
    Whoa, whoa, whoa, what? We're still going. Update's later today after classes and research work, even! Yeesh.:p

11. Jabba-wocky

Jabba-wocky Chosen One star 10

May 4, 2003
    Oh. Lol. Oops.

Never mind then. I was just confused by the end of the last post. I guess we know where I fall on the "concrete" to "abstract" thinking scale. :p

~J-w

12. TheSithGirly

Apr 26, 2007
    ToRR finally arrived where I wanted to be: Myrial and Xelon meet after all. And TGI even gave me Ashlae as a bonus to the scene. Haha, let´s shake up your little paradise of genocidal dictators there, shall we? :p

13. Sir_Draco

Sir_Draco Jedi Master star 4

Aug 19, 2007
    Sorry, wrong post. But i take the chance to say . . . I will be lurking your guys meeting on Argazdan.

14. BobaMatt

Aug 19, 2002
    I had a funky idea for a game.

The premise of the game is that, after years of playing in games and interacting online with each other, a bunch of RPFers decide to meet in real life. Travel arrangements are made, hotels are booked, and a number of players, newbies and oldbies alike, convene.

And that's when things get weird.

15. Ramza

Jul 13, 2008
    So... seemingly slice of life but with a zany twist?

[image=http://27.media.tumblr.com/tumblr_ln8s1mVBTB1qax2xho1_500.gif]

16. DarkLordoftheFins

DarkLordoftheFins Jedi Grand Master star 5

Apr 2, 2007
    So you basically wanna make a game out of an average Saturday evening I have? [face_laugh]

17. BobaMatt

Aug 19, 2002
    I just think there's something surreal about playing yourself in a game, and not in that "I see a lot of myself into this character" sort of way.

18. Penguinator

Penguinator Former Mod star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

May 23, 2005
    Man, if that's your Saturday, I wanna know what inspired SotS! :p

19. DarkLordoftheFins

DarkLordoftheFins Jedi Grand Master star 5

Apr 2, 2007
    Having a drunk SirakRomar interpreting Serge Gainsbourgh in a shaby karaoke bar on the Reeperbahn had . . . a lot to do with it. :p

20. DarthXan318

DarthXan318 Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 12, 2002
    You people better visit Melbourne someday. :p

21. NickLitYouAFlame

NickLitYouAFlame Jedi Master star 5

Feb 27, 2007
    I'd play myself in a game.

22. Sinrebirth

Sinrebirth Mod-Emperor of the EUC, Lit, RPF and SWC star 10 Staff Member Manager

Nov 15, 2004
    I'd play this as well, actually.

I had a plot or two in mind, actually, for my own version of such a game...

23. Mitth_Fisto

Mitth_Fisto Chosen One star 6

Sep 29, 2005
    Probably would play if someone wacked me with a racket and pointed to the game to note that it was indeed happening. Although we would be allowed to use fake names correct? Or would be using our assumed names from here?

24. TheGoodImperial

TheGoodImperial Jedi Knight star 2

May 17, 2009
    I wanna see LordT in such a game [face_laugh] Everybody who ever met him, know what I mean!

25. chanbill5390

chanbill5390 Jedi Knight star 4

Jul 12, 2007
    Hello folks, just wanted to pop in see who's here and see whether anyone was interested in joining my game over in the NSW board. Looking for more than one player so anyone who wants to hop in drop me a pm.