OOC Jocasta Nu's Coffee House: For All Your OOC Discussion Needs!

Discussion in 'Role Playing Resource' started by DarthXan318, May 10, 2010.

Moderators: Penguinator, Ramza
  1. Lukes_Apprentice Jedi Knight

star 3
    well hmm I seem to be waiting and nothin is happening hmmm me thinks this is not good.
  2. TheGoodImperial Jedi Youngling

star 2
    Well, nothing happening could have to do with most user being unable to post right now, due to board problems.
  3. Penguinator RPF Modinator and Batmanager

Manager
    star 6
    Board problems are tentatively solved; this extreme slowdown is just an exacerbation of the already quiet RPF, but hey, just goes to show that people need to get posting!

...people like me!
  4. Lukes_Apprentice Jedi Knight

star 3
    Yikes I guess my new op is not very interesting seeing the number of replies.
  5. DarthXan318 Manager Emeritus

star 6
    The last few days haven't been too good for people trying to post, I wouldn't take it personally.
  6. DarkLordoftheFins Jedi Master

star 4
    I actually forgot it, after I could not post for two days. But I wrote up my critic a few minutes ago. Not as long as the one the board ate, but I think my major points are all there.
  7. darthhelinith Jedi Master

star 5
    Morning/Afternoon/Evening all.

I'm struggling to think up how one would go about addressing a (potentially) hostile faction with intention of forming an alliance.
    Basicly, one of my characters is an AoD sith and has decided to contact the Chiss with intention of forming an alliance against the Dominion over the communications relay. (see Shadow War)
    I just have no idea what he should address the other ship/faction [face_blush]
    Are there certain pleasentaries you should open with that are considered standard throughout the galaxy? Is there a certain formal speech of communication when contacting others in space (like the way you might use a radio on shipping here on earth)?

Help!
  8. Bardan_Jusik Mand'alor - Manager of EUC, SWC and Anthology

Manager
    star 10
    I don't know of anything that would be considered standard for the GFFA, but for the situation you describe I would go with "greetings, exalted one". ;)
  9. darthhelinith Jedi Master

star 5
    okay I'll try working with something like that probably, unless anyone else voices an opinion.

Most frustrating thing is that the character would know exactly what to do. And I don't! And he won't tell me :p
  10. DarkLordoftheFins Jedi Master

star 4
    Start with a present, then begin to suggest smaller cooperations. Make sure they succeed. Exchange amabassadors so both of you can spy on each others. Espionage creates trust. Depending on how much you need them, give them something as a show of confidence. Then if things go well, start suggesting bigger commitments from both sides.

That would be the standard procedure.
  11. Penguinator RPF Modinator and Batmanager

Manager
    star 6
    The first ever RPF Halloween Mystery Game is up and running in the NSWRPF - check it out [link=http://boards.theforce.net/non_star_wars_role_playing/b10755/31936084/p1/?1]here![/link]
  12. CPL_Macja Jedi Master

star 5
    I think I killed the RPF :eek:

It has been 13+ hours since the last post in there and it was done by me [face_worried]

Sorry :(
  13. Ramza JC Head Admin and RPF Manager

Administrator
    star 7
    [image=http://i395.photobucket.com/albums/pp39/darthramza/Screenshot2011-10-17at122839PM.png]
  14. Ramza JC Head Admin and RPF Manager

Administrator
    star 7
    Double post, but whatever.

The Winter 2011 RPF Awards are now up and open for nominations! Go [link=http://boards.theforce.net/role_playing_resource/b10757/31981280/p1/?0]here[/link] and rock the vote! ROCK IT I SAY! SO COMMANDETH - er, we'd appreciate it.:D
  15. DarkLordoftheFins Jedi Master

star 4
    Actually the board does act weird again. In my daytime I could only post half the time and the other half it ate my posts. Guess we need those new servers. Not a pleasure to play russian roulette with your time, when you wanna do a post.
  16. Ramza JC Head Admin and RPF Manager

Administrator
    star 7
    Now that's odd, mostly because I haven't been getting any trouble and my hours are fairly irregular. If you haven't already, let 'em know over here:
    http://boards.theforce.net/communications/b10006/12420249/p1/?6258

so they can try and sort it out.
  17. DarkLordoftheFins Jedi Master

star 4
    It is okay now, but if it comes back, I´ll do. Seems to 1400 til 1600 most of the days, so in two hours I should know. But European servers or connections had troubles sometimes. In 2007 Sirak and TSG had to post five times to get their posts in 128 ABY up once. and nobdy else had that problem. Maybe it is a problem with slightly different software? Dunno. Anyway, I am back on tracks and updates are coming, so I am happy. And if the problem shows once more, I will let tech-support know.
  18. DarkLordoftheFins Jedi Master

star 4
    Just to let everyone know, the site is gone. Dunno how it looks for you, but as the moments were I can post are brief and few in between I wanted to let people know, that on five computer, using ten IPs I could not access or even call up board.theforce.net.

Therefore my ability to participate is voided until the situation resolves. I contacted Admins.

Sorry for those waiting.
  19. DarthXan318 Manager Emeritus

star 6
    Just a FYI for everyone facing board issues, next time it happens you should [link=http://boards.theforce.net/communications/b10006/12420249/p126/?6266]post about it in Comms[/link] with details of the error messages you get (if any) so the admins know what's going on. Which, I know, is not useful advice if you can't access the boards at all :p but if you can manage it, that's what you should do.

IGN has stopped supporting the boards altogether so there's not much that can be done, but at the very least one of our admins can email one of their admins, so they at least know we're having trouble.
  20. SirakRomar Jedi Master

star 4
    From what the software we use tells us, it was simply a board black out. No connection could be made. By dialing in over US IPs I could at least see the posts made, although login was unavailable. I think Fin PMed tech-support in one of the few working hours, but never got an answer which probably means PMs didn´t work or they had the same issues. Anyway, until this fabled move we might have to live with that.
  21. JediMasterAnne Jedi Master

star 4
    I had a few little issues last night and this morning--the boards would just load a blank white screen, but would work again seconds later if I tried again. It seems to have resolved itself though.
  22. Ramza JC Head Admin and RPF Manager

Administrator
    star 7
    Yeah, the intermittent posting blackouts were hitting us awhile ago (Hence my post in Hooper's).

Seems to have cleared up for me, so if you guys are still getting issues I'm not quite sure what the cause is.

Speaking more broadly: if the boards are down down, be sure to check the twitter feed ( https://twitter.com/#!/JediCouncilTFN ) to see if the issue is widespread. If they aren't, and the problem persists, you can send an email to jedicouncil@theforce.net (General board related contact) with details regarding your problem. The facebook group will also generally have people kvetching, so that's another way to check :p.

Also, if you need a message passed along about being unable to post, feel free to email me at demonslayerk@gmail.com and I'll hit up the DRL thread on your behalf.
  23. Sith-I-5 Jedi Grand Master

star 6
    I had the whiting out of some pages and links, and complete disruption of my PM sending on Wednesday or Thursday, but since, the hyperlinks have been working, and I can post okay - touch wood - though have not tried PMing yet.

If PMs are still affected, I don't know what I'll do for the second stage of the Seasonal Awards, since that is usually by Private Message.

Anyway, a question: this area of black holes around Kessel, do normal prison transports have to navigate through that as well, or is there a clear real space or hyperspace path for Regular Joes can use?
  24. Mitth_Fisto Jedi Grand Master

star 6
    There is a clear hyperspace route called the Kessel Trade Corridor, but it takes a long way around through the Maw Nebula + away from The Maw (black hole cluster) to connect at Zerm and from there to the regular hyperspace routes to Hutt space or to Formos via the Pabol Sleheyron hyperspace route. The Kessel run on the other hand is a trecherous generally unmapped route that skirts the maw, slips through a nebula hole gap called the pit that is rife with asteroids, and then skirts through the rest of the nebula to Formos roughly directly without the round about beaten safe path. Also generally without the Imperial or Hutt interfearence in the Spice Trade.

From Formos Rimward one would take the Triellus Trade Route.

*Information gleaned from the Atlas
  25. Ramza JC Head Admin and RPF Manager

Administrator
    star 7
    PMs seem to be working properly. If you're having issues, I'll also be accepting emails primarily because of the recent board troubles (Details will be in the awards post for the voting round).
Moderators: Penguinator, Ramza