1. Oh hai Guest!

Welcome to the RPF!

OOC Jocasta Nu's Coffee House: For All Your OOC Discussion Needs!

Discussion in 'Role Playing Resource' started by DarthXan318, May 10, 2010.

Moderators: Penguinator, Ramza
  1. Penguinator RPF Modinator and Batmanager

Manager
    star 6
    I don't really want to move on from Man Cubs...that game lasted a good while and meant a whole bunch to me.

I will say that Bakara was an excellent cathartic character as at the time I joined the game I was pretty angry and angsty about a bunch of stuff. Depending on your perspective, I could still be. :p

He probably wasn't the most convincing character but I liked him.
  2. Sir_Draco Jedi Master

star 4
    Oh man, I tune in after several weeks to catch up with my favourite lurking-game and find it locked. Although I understand why that happened, (hell I must say after my run as a GM I wonder how you guys do this so good, so long without getting . . . mad . . .) I anna state that I regret it a lot. It was always a great read to follow the storylines of Elisthia, Elora and Mischa and I was looking so much forward to this whole thing with Bakara and Gallia. And some day I wanted to get into the new arrivals, because someone told me they were pretty good read. Giants, Rakatans and Brainsuckers . . . sounded like hell of a lot fun.

And now it´s over. Such a shame. Such an achievement by Winged and his whole crew . . .

3. SirakRomar Force Ghost

star 4
    I actually think we just saw one "option" for the fate-system use. One that fit ManCubs and Winged. But it is easy to imagine that other GMs might use it in their own ways. Especially considering the use of "predetermination" in modern media. I also think we had something similiar, with the pending doom of The Cold Embrace, where the well known fate of all was to die.
    Characters drifting away from each other in time or trying to change their fate could be interesting. Not giving them their fates from the start, having points were their fates are determined, things like this. Had a long chat about it yesterday and I really think in able hands the concept has a lot of room for an evolution.

I actually feared Elora drifting away from her cryptic fate and I think if the game would have continued, I might have had real problems playing out some of them. But that might be, what could be a starting point for another use of it . . . just letting my thoughts flow, while having my afternoon coffee here.
  4. Mitth_Fisto Chosen One

star 6
    All this talk of fates has given me a good premis of a game based on 'foretold' fates, perhaps best suited to something like Mass Affect if I understand what I've heard others talk about (Never played the game). It also could work in nearly any game setting I think so long as there was a possibility of prophets, sages, or fortune tellers. . .so any game.

Basically have the fates pre-written by someone who is now dead or missing that fortells criptically key points in the characters futures, and have these writings discovered or delivered by the followers of the prophet. Actually have a whole scenario that I think would be cool if anyone is interested, just PM me.
  5. SirakRomar Force Ghost

star 4
    Mass Effect is more about breaking the cicle of fate, is it? The ever repeating extinction of the galaxy. But I think fate can work in almost any game. On second thought I found it was used in 133 ABY pretty heavy (Kira dreaming of her death) and in A Breaking World (some of us becoming dragons) . . . so yes.

Hope someone catches mitth idea. :) We need a GM for our ideas, us players.
  6. Trieste Force Ghost

star 5
    That's a fair assessment of the first game from what I read. It would be an interesting theme to carry forward into an RPG that built on the events of the first game, as BLemelisk is planning, I believe. Right now what we're kicking around in the Interest Measurement Thread is how individual these fates should be: should they be about the fate of the galaxy, or should they be more individual (as is the case when someone quasi-prophecizes in the first ME). Both open up interesting possibilities.
  7. Sarge221 Force Ghost

star 5
    I actually did try something like that in Xenophobia :p I had a selection of classes that people can pick, and wrote down some history of their accomplishments and perhaps a traumatic event that they experienced such as the Scout having collected samples on Wayland for Alpha Red and having members of his team die while the Jedi Knight had his Master taken by the Peace Brigade when they were the first to be hunted by the voxyn.

Can't really say how well that went though....considering the game died :p
  8. DarkLordoftheFins Force Ghost

star 4
    While I think Sirak is right that we had loads of Prophecies as plot.elements, I think as game mechanics like winged used them they were pretty unique. And far from exhausted. You can do a lot with those elements. Surely.

If I ever come to hte point to develop a new project, I´ll surely keep the fate system in mind. I would regret see it go with ManCubs.
  9. SirakRomar Force Ghost

star 4
    Funny thing. The oldest player in Depth of Madness I know of is older than the oldest character :p
  10. Sarge221 Force Ghost

star 5
  11. Ramza JC Head Admin and RPF Manager

Administrator
    star 7
    I shall be following that game with great interest.

And might I just say, Sarge, that is one massive update.
  12. Sarge221 Force Ghost

star 5
    Eh, I think my intro for Imperial Fist was a lot longer then the one in DoM :p Didn't even get to posting pretty pictures and links to soundtracks. Ah well, I'm sure I'll be doing that sometime during the game :p

But we'll pretend that my intro was massive and that it was the reason that it took a day longer to get it up...instead of the fact that I got caught up in a sudden spree of video gaming with my friends in Bad Company 2 when I finished halfway through [face_whistling]

I'm hoping that this game will be getting some success though :D All throughout last semester when I was bored during my classes - which was quite often - I had a little blue notebook that I used to scribble down ideas and such. Upon getting the idea for DoM, I ended up scribbling down quite a few ideas and erasing/crossing out a good percentage of them. I didn't start it during the semester cause I knew I wouldn't have time - especially since I started my UPS preloader job - but with the semester having ended and my job proving to be temporary, I thought now was a good a time as ever to start it up :cool:

I just hope that the game at least survives long enough so that I could get through a bunch of the plot points and devices that I had laid out and would be proud to have played out in the game! I'm not expecting the game to be long - perhaps just a bit longer then Dark Odyssey was - but things happen.

Especially with my current cast for this game. Three mods and two Germans!

I am so screwed [face_worried]
  13. DarkLordoftheFins Force Ghost

star 4
    First post in a game for me since . . . eternity. Feel damn good.

Three Mods to keep two German players in line? I dunno, maybe you will need more than that Sarge :p
  14. DarthXan318 Manager Emeritus

star 6
  15. Sarge221 Force Ghost

star 5
    Well I've gotten one post so far! Now where are the others!? *taps foot* [face_not_talking]

.........I worked really really hard on this and expended so much Mountain Dew that can't be unexpended :_|
  16. SirakRomar Force Ghost

star 4
    My post just needs a spelling check and it will be up tomorrow . . . :) A great intro you gave us there. I jumped right into the mood for playing my first true Sith ;)
  17. Sarge221 Force Ghost

star 5
    Haha, well I figured you would :p I mean, crazy bug ladies and Emperor Hands aren't that much different from Sith are they? [face_laugh]
  18. HanSolo29 Manager Emeritus + Official Star Wars Artist

star 6
    And so it begins!

I have off tomorrow, so I should have a post up sometime then! :)
  19. SirakRomar Force Ghost

star 4
    Bug lady didn´t count, she was good at heart :p And yeah, Mara was kind off a Sith. I just stopped playing with her then. so this is the "first Sith" I wanted to do . . . as a SITH :) Post comes in an hour or two. Just need to spelling check Draco´s Mass Effect game and then I´ll post it . . .

EDIT: Posted!
  20. DarthXan318 Manager Emeritus

star 6
    I'm writing I'm writing [:D]
  21. Penguinator RPF Modinator and Batmanager

Manager
    star 6
    I tend to let posts stew around for a while...but it is half done!
  22. SirakRomar Force Ghost

star 4
    And I got myself some old school Sith. Cooool!
  23. Sarge221 Force Ghost

star 5
    Old school Sith indeed! :D
  24. DarthXan318 Manager Emeritus

star 6
  25. Sarge221 Force Ghost

star 5
    Hey, it's me. What did you expect? :p

Well they're something like that anyway [face_laugh]
Moderators: Penguinator, Ramza