main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

JoePa has died at age 85

Discussion in 'Archive: Your Jedi Council Community' started by TahiriVeilaSolo69, Jan 22, 2012.

1. VadersLaMent

VadersLaMent Chosen One star 10

Apr 3, 2002
    The man who saw it should have not only informed Paterno, he should have gone above Paterno. Paterno should have done what he did and reported to those above him and also had gone above them. Everyone failed here, including Paterno.

We are talking about the rape of children. Paterno is not the bad guy from what I can see. He is a good guy who fell short on this one very important matter.

2. Lord Vivec

Lord Vivec Chosen One star 9

Apr 17, 2006
    Right. Cause it's not like the police do investigations or anything like that.
    When an idiot named Mark Woods was building pipe bombs in our dorms a few years ago, a friend of his told a parent. Said parent of said friend contacted the police, and the police investigated and staged a raid, where they caught his **** and arrested the guy.

So, yeah. You do go to the cops based off what someone tells you.

EDIT: so daveed has to do less work

3. jacktherack

jacktherack Jedi Master star 4

Mar 19, 2008
    i don't follow sports, so i have no idea who this guy is. any i have no idea what any of you are talking/arguing about so here's a picture of luke skywalker with a pancake on his head.
    *oh i must have misplaced the picture*

4. tom

tom Chosen One star 8

Mar 14, 2004
    i don't understand why some people are so quick to defend paterno? did this guy do some great things in his life or something? because i've never heard of any. are these people just penn state fans or what?

5. Armenian_Jedi

Armenian_Jedi Force Ghost star 7

Mar 14, 2003
    That's a really cool scenario that I'm sure is the norm when it comes to rumors.

6. Harpua

Harpua Chosen One star 9

Mar 12, 2005
    Okay, a thing about rumors... there are some that can be ignored, such as, "Varouj slept with my mom and now has a scorching case of herpes." This is the sort of rumor that one does not go to the police over. When one hears, "Children are being raped in the shower," I would hope that one would take it very seriously go to whatever lengths are necessary to make sure it is investigated.

7. Ramza

Ramza Administrator Emeritus star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 13, 2008
    So you're saying you shouldn't contact the police when you hear children are being sexually abused? Not even just in case? That's messed up, man.

8. Armenian_Jedi

Mar 14, 2003
    I'm saying if everyone did that, the police couldn't look into all of them. The right thing would be for the person who witnessed the act to call the police. You know... the person who can actually testify in court?

Why am I the only one using logic here?

9. New_York_Jedi

New_York_Jedi Force Ghost star 6

Mar 16, 2002
    Yeah. Its probably EVERYONE ELSE being illogical.

10. tom

tom Chosen One star 8

Mar 14, 2004
    so you're saying that if someone told you they saw children being raped you would do nothing because it's just a rumor and the police have enough on their plate? this is because people tell other people that they saw children being raped all the time? so much that it would be impossible to investigate every time this is alleged?

11. Eeth-my-Koth

Eeth-my-Koth Jedi Grand Master star 9

May 25, 2001
    SLG once told me that the head admin was PM raping her. I did nothing. :(

12. TahiriVeilaSolo69

TahiriVeilaSolo69 Force Ghost star 5

Sep 27, 2002
    I think Varouj is saying that JoePa did what was the protocol in his job and TRUSTED his higher ups to do what they were supposed/said they were going to do.

Amrite?

13. FatFrank

FatFrank Jedi Youngling star 3

Jul 30, 2011
    I'm guessing that if it happens in your neighbourhood you should report it to neighbourhood watch and hope that they do something about it. Well, perhaps hope it too strong of a word.

14. Lord Vivec

Apr 17, 2006
    So if someone else doesn't do what they're supposed to do, that automatically means you don't have to either.

Got it.

15. tom

tom Chosen One star 8

Mar 14, 2004
    that's the argument i usually see but not what varouj seems to be saying. he seems to be saying that paterno was right not to go to the police, not that not going to the police was excusable in this case.

16. Eeth-my-Koth

Eeth-my-Koth Jedi Grand Master star 9

May 25, 2001
    When he saw the higher ups do nothing, he should have done something.

17. Aytee-Aytee

Aytee-Aytee Jedi Master star 5

Jul 20, 2008
    "All that is necessary for the forces of evil to win in the world is for enough good men to do nothing." - Edmund Burke

Joe Paterno died in a cloud of dishonor and shame. Farewell.

18. DarthTunick

DarthTunick SFTC VII + Deadpool BOFF star 10 VIP - Game Host

Nov 26, 2000

Exactly. If there was one person that could have light a fire underneath everyone to get something done, it would have been Joe Pa. The reason why the internal investigation/lack of susbstantive action was due to everyone wanting to protect the precious image of Penn State. Joe Pa was Penn State. Had he been more upfront with Sandusky in 1998, and had pestered the police, something would have been done. This culture of protecting the Penn State image no matter what represents the absolute worst in sports.

19. Darth Guy

Darth Guy Chosen One star 10

Aug 16, 2002
    There was pretty clearly a conspiracy to cover up the allegations leveled at Sandusky, and Paterno, being Emperor of Pennsylvania State, was likely complicit at the very least. He deserved what he got.

...I don't mean his death. I mean him getting fired and being disgraced.

20. Darth Morella

Darth Morella Force Ghost star 6

Apr 5, 2004
    Cancer is a bitch

21. timmoishere

timmoishere Force Ghost star 6

Jun 2, 2007
    Hypothetically, what if the allegations against Sandusky had only been released after JoePa's death?

22. Armenian_Jedi

Mar 14, 2003
    ok let's test your guys morality. Since you all clearly would have done something differently.

Go to Tumblr or any other blogging website. search for the tag "rape" and look and see how many blogs there are of girls admitting to being raped but not calling the cops. There's a ton of these online.

Ok, you now have as much information as Joe Paterno had. Actually, you have more, you're getting the information straight from the person who got raped. Now I fully expect all of you to call the cops. You can at the very least provide the blog name to them. I'm sure the cops can handle it from there, but if your morals are better than Paterno's at all, the least you can do is call the cops.

Go do it. Now. Be a good person.

Otherwise you'll get cancer and die at 85.

23. Lord Vivec

Apr 17, 2006
  24. Armenian_Jedi

Mar 14, 2003
    I'm assuming you didn't call the cops? I promise you you'll have more information than Paterno. Some of these blogs get really into detail. Go and do the right thing bro.

25. Ramza

Ramza Administrator Emeritus star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 13, 2008
    [image=http://i511.photobucket.com/albums/s357/Jakriil/HA_HA_HA2C_OH_WOW.jpg]

Rarely does a thread devolve into self-parody with such tenacity.

Actually, might as well fulfill Godwin's Law while I'm at it: you know who else enjoyed a good fallacy? Hitler.