Joe's wife Kim

Discussion in 'Killeen, TX' started by Tandeer, Sep 20, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Tandeer Jedi Knight

star 3
    As some of you know, Joe Eck my co-creator of this group, has a wife that is seriously ill. I filled a few folks in the other night at the meeting about her condition but I have more news.
    First to let you all know what is going on and to ask for all your good thoughts and prayers for the entire family as they face this.

Kim is an awesome lady who has been basically been fighting for her life for the past 9 years when they removed a brain tumor. She has other medical problems as well and some of the medications she takes can have some serious side effects, one of which effects her white blood cells.
    This summer, after two painful bone marrow biopsies, they determined that Kim has leukemia. She underwent chemo-therapy and a rather long hospital stay. Once she got out, she was not out for long and went back in for another week. She has little or no white blood cells and even the mildest of sniffles for us, makes her deathly ill. When she got out that time, she was out for only a few days and was rushed back a little over 3 weeks ago now with what was erroneously diagnosed as a fatal blood clot. It was not and that is another story, but it was good that she was sent back to the hospital as they found an infection in her liver. That was what was causing the fever and the pain in her chest. It was thought that once the fever broke, that she would be on the mend, getting healthy enough to do another round of chemo that perhaps would lead this time to a state of remission. Once she reached remission, they would be able to do the bone marrow transplant and have a much better chance of beating this thing.

This was not to be....

While Kim has been in the hospital this time she has not been her usually feisty self and as I mentioned before, she had all but given up eating. This past Friday Joe and Kim were given the news that they now had two options left. One was to take another round of chemo so potent that she would be in the hospital for 2-3 months with a 3 in 10 chance of it working. The other one was to select Home Hospice Care and spend the next 2-6 weeks left to her, with her family.

Joe told me Sunday morning when I picked up the kids, that Kim had chosen the treatment.

But when I brought them home Sunday evening, he told me that things had gotten worse and that Kim is hallucinating now. They have not started the treatment yet and we are afraid that even if they do, that it is to late.

If any of you have ever had someone you cared for die slowly then you understand and know the signs. Kim is going through now some of the same signs my Mom did right before she passed away. She stopped eating, then she has had a loss of bowel control and when you add the hallucinations to that you know that she doesn't have allot of time left.

Joe is dealing with this as well as anyone can but I know that he would appreciate all our prayers and good thoughts. He has family, both Kim's and his, coming in the next few days and this should be a help to him. He is, in my opinion, mentally, physically and emotionally drained and it's not going to get any better anytime soon, if ever. And I for one am glad they are coming to help my dear friend. He is very special to me as are Kim and the kids.

I know I'm rambling now and it's hard to type through tears, so I will end. I just wanted you all to know what was going on with a very special man and his family and to ask for your prayers.
  2. Amidala Starkiller Force Ghost

star 6
    Please give my best to Joe, Kim and their family in this difficult time. I?ll remember them in my prayers.
  3. JosephEck Jedi Knight

star 1
    Damn, Debby. That brought tears to MY eyes...!

A little update on Kim...

She's eating more than she has in the last few weeks (granted, when I say *more* that only amounts to 2 or three bites of any given meal, and only two meals at best per day!)

I was fortunate enough to get her up and walking once in the past 32 days. Not much, but surprisingly enough, she still has a LOT of energy in her legs and can stand on her own when necessary.

The hallucinations have stopped, and she no longer looks *through* me as if I were transparent, but this past Saturday she had to sneeze, which triggered a nosebleed that lasted well over 25 minutes before the nurses could control it... One of the many side effects of the "super chemo" they have used.

The "super chemo" is only administered twice total - one runs for two hours and then the second dose is not administered for 2 entire weeks ! Seriously potent stuff. On or around October 20th, provided she is still with is, they will perform another biopsy to determine whether or not this "last-ditch" treatment worked. Her overall chances are about 20% at best.

If the drug works, and she goes into remission, we will go ahead and opt for the bone marrow transplant. It's very expensive, but Kim is definitely worth it. If the drug does not work, there is no additional treatment the doctors can even consider at this point. Pray that it works !!

Joe

And I like the part about my being "mentally drained"... I've been that way much longer than I've known Kim !! But thanks for noticing ! :)
  4. Darth_Fairacon Jedi Master

star 1
    Joe,

Though we have not had the pleasure of meeting you and your wife yet, our prayers go out to you and your family during this tough time.

:)
    Todd and family
    Darth_Fairacon

5. Tandeer Jedi Knight

star 3
    I'm sorry Sugar, but I felt I had to write something. I didn't mean to uspet you.

I'm glad to hear the updates on Kim. I've not wanted to bother you at home, with all the family that has come in recently.

As for being mentally drained... I meant more than usual!! *laughs and runs, cuz he's a mean shot with that blaster rifle!!*

You know how Joe and I feel about ya'll. *HAWH*

*JUAD to see his offical TK #*

6. JosephEck Jedi Knight

star 1
    Well, things have just gotten a whole lot worse.

Kim has developed an actively bleeding ulcer in her esophagus. They are giving her red blood cells and platelets via transfusions, but it's just going right through her... They have only 6 days from today to get it under control, or they will not be able to continue the "super chemo" as it would most likely kill her. Ironic when you think about it, because without the treatment, she will most likely die.

If the treatment must stop prematurely, we will probably request that the blood transfusions be terminated. She'll bleed internally and lapse into a coma before passing away, but at least she won't be suffering anymore. Rock... hard place... yeah, were stuck right in between them somewhere.

Joe
  7. Talonmark Jedi Padawan

To Joe and Mostly to his wife very few people actually go through the possibility of loss that you are facing. May the Force of God support your wife and if he calls her home provide her with rest and peace.
    And you with with the strength to endure his decision should he wish her company.

My prayers go with your wife and you. god bless
  8. britt1 Jedi Knight

star 1
    Joe, my prayers are with you and Kim. We are all here for you. Let us know if you need anything!
    God bless my friend!
    Jim
  9. britt1 Jedi Knight

star 1
    Was just wondering if there is any new info on Kim?
    Thanks,
    Jim
  10. JosephEck Jedi Knight

star 1
    Well, the hospital released Kim shortly after our Stormtrooper gig on Saturday... she's at home under hospice care (the difference between home care and hospice care is that hospice is for terminally ill patients).

They haven't contacted us with news of when they are performing the next bone biopsy, though it'll most likely be at the end of next week... then they will be able to give us a more realistic guess as to how much longer she has (right now, they say it could be anywhere from a week to 6 months, possible even up to a year - we know better than that, and at least the biopsy will tell them where her cancer level is at and they can make a better guess than the one we're working with now...)

Looks like I'm going to have to pass on the Sci-Fi show in Plano...

Joe
  11. JosephEck Jedi Knight

star 1
    Kim's progress is worsening...

The doctors have cancelled all procedures (biopsies and blood counts) from here on out. No sense adding extra pain to what she's already experiencing.

She hasn't eaten much in days now. a bite here, a sip there... Her thighs are about the size of my biceps, and she looks like a survivor of a Nazi concentration camp. She's sleeping a lot more now, and her breathing sounds terrible. She's got all the signs indicative of being in the final 2 week stage, and yet still refuses to give up. Just got word from my daytime caregiver that she is now seeing spirits. It won't be much longer now.

On a lighter side, I used the quote in my signature below because I thought it was funny, but then I realized that Ben, the engineer who said the line in the movie has quite an amusing last name as well... Maybe it's a coincidence, or maybe the writers did it deliberately... *S*
  12. Tandeer Jedi Knight

star 3
    Joe, you know that we are all here for you, all you have to do is let us know what you need.

Joe and I keep you and Kim and the kids in our thoughts every day. We love ya'll. *HUGE ARSED WOOKIE HUGS*
  13. Tandeer Jedi Knight

star 3
    I just left Joe and Kim's house a little bit ago. Her parents just arrived from Fla. They came, as well as many of Joe's relatives who will arrive tomorrow, at the urging of the Hospice Nurse. While I thought Kim looked pretty good, I'm told that the end is pretty near now.

I just ask that ya'll continue to keep Joe and the kids, Adam and Tink, in your thoughts and prayers.
  14. britt1 Jedi Knight

star 1
  15. Tandeer Jedi Knight

star 3
    I spoke with Joe on Friday and he says that Kim is still with them. She spends about 20 hours a day now sleeping and her blood pressure and pulse or all real low and her breathing is very shallow. Her family and his have been coming in and out to see her, with her parents flying in quite often.
    No one knows how long she will last. Even her Hospice Nurse is surprised she is still with them.

If there's anything more to add, I'm sure Joe will...
  16. britt1 Jedi Knight

star 1
    Debby,
    Is there anything he needs or that we can do for them?
  17. Tandeer Jedi Knight

star 3
    Beyond continued prayers, I don't know.

I'll ask him when I talk to him next. The only thing I can think of is maybe taking the kids out for a bit, letting them have as much of a normal live as possible. But he has lots of relatives in and out, so that might be taken care of by Grandparents and such...
  18. britt1 Jedi Knight

star 1
    My prayers are with them!
  19. JosephEck Jedi Knight

star 1
    I hope everyone had a Happy Thanksgiving...

Kimberly passed away Thanksgiving night. The time of her passing was called by her hospice nurse at 7:00 PM CST.

She's no longer suffering, and I am grateful for that.

I am also grateful for everyone's concern and support during this difficult time for our family. It was greatly appreciated.

Thank you all, and God Bless !

Joe
  20. britt1 Jedi Knight

star 1
    Joe,
    I am sorry to learn of Kim's passing but as you said she is suffering no more and is now in a better place! May our Lord Jesus Christ grant you comfort and peace during this time and remember you have friends that love you!
    Jim
  21. Darth_Fairacon Jedi Master

star 1
    I lost my father on Thaksgiving Day in 2000, so I know of your lost and feelings...

Remember that you do have friends that care.

:)
    Todd n Jacki

22. Tandeer Jedi Knight

star 3
    I spoke to Joe briefly this morning as he was returning from the funeral home. They are looking at doing a Memorial service for her on Saturday, before all the family has to fly back to GA and FL.

I'll let you know more details as I get them, if Joe doesn't post them first.
  23. Tandeer Jedi Knight

star 3
    I talked to Joe a bit ago and here is the info, should anyone wish to come.

Dossman Funeral Home, Belton at 4:00 pm

I don't know any more than that so if you need directions, try one of the map searchs
  24. britt1 Jedi Knight

star 1
    Dossman is easy to find. Just go north on main street past Wal-Mart. It will be on your right before you get to Diamond Shamrock.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.