main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

ST John Boyega (Finn) in Episode IX

Discussion in 'Sequel Trilogy' started by RX_Sith, Dec 12, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. dragonchic

dragonchic Jedi Master star 3

Nov 9, 2015
    I don't think FinnSky will happen but the fandom implosion would probably make the reaction to TLJ seem tame, heh.

Not sure how I'd feel about it. I'm already annoyed that Luke and Finn didn't even meet onscreen and that Jedi!Finn was just a tease, to find out that Finn is Luke's son would just add insult to injury in both respects. Then again I also thought the Luke and Leia reveal made no sense, yet I love their sibling relationship, so I'd probably get over it. :p

Last edited: Apr 12, 2018
    afrojedi and Ryanpaulstewart like this.
  2. Jedi Jessy

Jedi Jessy Force Ghost star 5

Feb 28, 2016
    Mostly of FinnSky and Jedi Finn people that I saw know the chance is very small but they like to make theories (especially about Finn finding his family).

dragonchic likes this.
  3. oncafar

oncafar Force Ghost star 6

Jan 10, 2017
    The thing is I really don't think he's intended to be inconsistent. His interpersonal skills and fast-thinking are his major strengths, which was how he managed to go undetected in the FO until near the end of his training. And I think TFA did try to show this aspect of his personality. He tells people what they want to hear. He tells Poe what he thinks he wants to hear as an explanation for why he's helping him, though Poe is suspicious. He tells Rey what he thinks she wants to hear (he's with the Resistance). The issue is they IMO needed to go a bit deeper with the character and not use him as this slapstick comic relief, and it would help if he was a bit more mature of a character.

Lost_Hope, chrcharcor2 and cerealbox like this.
  4. Jedi Jessy

Jedi Jessy Force Ghost star 5

Feb 28, 2016
  5. RandomGreyJ

RandomGreyJ Jedi Master star 4

Jun 14, 2016
    I just saw a video of this interview where he's literally driven to tears while talking about when JJ first told him he was cast :_| JJ please give him an epic role pleaseeeee

6. dragonchic

dragonchic Jedi Master star 3

Nov 9, 2015
    Well JJ never had to be reminded that Finn is one of the main protagonists, so that's something at least. ;)

Of course JJ also pulled the infamous bait-and-switch, sooo... [face_dunno]

Last edited: Apr 13, 2018
  7. Deerborne

Deerborne Jedi Master star 3

Oct 15, 2015
    Awww, do you have a link to the video?

8. Qui-Riv-Brid

Qui-Riv-Brid Force Ghost star 5

Apr 18, 2013
    I think I said here before that it all depends on what they want to do with the character.

If he's only going to be in IX and that's it with no further appearances in movies then the best way to use him is to have him killed off by Ren halfway through the movie so that Ren can get some victory over Rey before his final defeat to her in some way, shape or form.

If the plan is for him to do other movies in future then he can have a large-ish role and be akin to Han Solo in ROTJ. A dependable friend who helps the Rebels to victory.

9. oncafar

Jan 10, 2017
    The best thing is for Finn to be killed by Kylo??? That sounds like a really horrible outcome. Anyway, I don't think they will kill Finn regardless of how they are ending the story. There are some characters who are safe, and Rey and Finn are the safe ones in this trilogy; probably Poe as well.

10. Troopa212

Troopa212 Jedi Master star 3

Jul 19, 2016
    Or you could go the third route and actually have him live AND play a large role in defeating the First Order. A role where he's not just reduced to simply a "friend who helps the Rebels to victory".

afrojedi, Ren Kylo, FN-2187 and 3 others like this.
  11. RandomGreyJ

RandomGreyJ Jedi Master star 4

Jun 14, 2016
    Yep, right here!

rorow1 likes this.
  12. Qui-Riv-Brid

Apr 18, 2013
    That's pretty much the same thing as the second option. Then it's just about emphasis. Han was a friend who helps the Rebels by being a General and leading the strike team.

In terms of making him important to the story of Rey and having an effect on Ren's story. Other than that what else is there for him to do?

The two most important things Han did in the OT for Luke's own story was to come back and save him from Vader so he could make the shot and get captured by Vader to be used as a lure for Luke.

13. Deerborne

Oct 15, 2015
    Okay, that made me tear up. I hope they give this man everything he could hope for in IX.

14. oncafar

Jan 10, 2017
    He already is important to the story of Rey. I don't feel like he has to have a huge affect on Kylo's story. Han wasn't super impactful for Vader's story. And Han's character had his own meaning/purpose rather than just needing to serve Luke's story. Finn should have his own meaning in the story as well--his sole purpose isn't to support Rey's story...

15. Qui-Riv-Brid

Apr 18, 2013
    In TFA yes. In TLJ he was set aside as I expected he would be because like Han he simply couldn't help in any character way because he has no connection to the Force story being told.

Han didn't either except through Luke.

That's what TLJ supposedly did. It did at least bring him into the Rebellion though I'd argue overall it was pretty static for him or even regressive outside of some plot points.

Either he plays some effective part in IX with Rey and Ren's story or he is just a side character again.

There is so much to do in IX my concern would be spending too much time on side stories that are secondary which I'd argue that TLJ did instead of concentrating on things that could have at least expand the main story.

Shadojoker likes this.
  16. oncafar

Jan 10, 2017
    and yet somehow Han was a main character even at the times he was disconnected to the Force story, which was most of the time.

then Leia didn't either except through Luke... Yet somehow Han and Leia matter independent of Luke... I didn't see Luke as their purpose. They're actually both more interesting than Luke in a lot of ways.

yes they didn't do a very good job. They should have made a more compelling Finn plot.

no. Either they write him a compelling arc or they don't. He can have a compelling arc regardless of if he is in the Force story. Han did.

yes TLJ was too cluttered. It was basically juggling three stories together, and that's one too many.

Since all of your concerns can be addressed without killing Finn I don't agree that Finn's death is what this story needs on account of your concerns.

Furthermore I think Rey's character is better served by Finn living. He's the greatest element so far in "your belonging lies ahead."

ETA: Also, remember JJA is back. So his style is back too including how he balances story and characters.

Deerborne likes this.
  17. Strongbow

Strongbow Force Ghost star 5

Nov 6, 2014
    After TFA, I was pretty convinced Finn was strong in the Force. TLJ, of course, did nothing with that. But I still hope there might be some move that direction in IX.

Demsa Aztor and Deerborne like this.
  18. Deerborne

Oct 15, 2015
    If Finn and Rey are indeed together for a good portion of the film, then I don't think they're shoving him off to some imaginary side plot of doom. He'll likely be involved in the "main plot" of Rey and the Resistance gang staving off the villains.

Regardless, though, he certainly doesn't need to die.

19. JediAce1

JediAce1 Force Ghost star 5

May 8, 2014
    Stormtrooper revolt.

You have to remember the Resistance only has about 20 members left, so they need allies. A trooper revolt would help turn the tide.

Last edited: Apr 14, 2018
  20. Qui-Riv-Brid

Apr 18, 2013
    Which is fine but again means really nothing to the Rey vs Ren struggle directly.

Yes. After Luke, Vader, Sidious, Obi-Wan, Yoda and Leia when it came to the main story. Han's greatest tie to Luke was in ANH when they aren't even friends. In TESB they are split for the movie because their characters arcs don't intersect. In ROTJ again they are split in character besides some basic plot interactions.

The most meaningful scene that Luke and Han ever have is when he's leaving in ANH. After that they are simply best friends. Which is fine but that's all there is. Compare that to Obi-Wan who is absolutely integral to Anakin's story. It's the opposite as they only have actually 2 scenes of any note in TPM.

So with Finn to tie into Rey's story really strongly then he somehow has to be tied into the Force story and at this point there is nothing to that.

21. JediAce1

JediAce1 Force Ghost star 5

May 8, 2014
    The rey vs kylo struggle IS the resistance vs the first order. If it wasn't, Rey and Kylo would be the only two lead characters in the movie.

22. Qui-Riv-Brid

Apr 18, 2013
    I certainly hope that isn't the case. Luke vs Vader was that only tangentially hence why Empire vs Rebels was it's own side story while Luke was concerned with facing Vader and Sidious and trying to get his father to accept the conflict that Luke felt within him.

If all Rey vs Ren is Rebels vs First Order then they mean nothing because either can be replaced. The First Order as seen in TLJ would be far better off without Ren as the leader and Rey is no leader either.

23. Deerborne

Oct 15, 2015
    Towards the end of the movie, yeah, but beforehand Luke spent most of the movie with Leia and Han in "their" story, minus the pit stop on Dagobah.

24. The Regular Mustache

The Regular Mustache Force Ghost star 6

Dec 22, 2015
    Maybe ghost Luke gives Rey some information that she has a hard time processing and Finn is the one that helps her parse it out?

25. TheGhostOfZero

TheGhostOfZero Jedi Master star 2

Sep 5, 2016
    If TLJ accomplished anything for Finn in an overall meta sense for the ST, it's that no one is expecting him to do anything of worth going forward, thus making any contribution he has to the plot of EPIX (whether it be unintentionally sparking a Stormtrooper exodus or helping Rey fight Supreme Leader Ren) at least moderately surprising.

(I found the silver lining.)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.