main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

ST John Boyega (Finn) in Episode IX

Discussion in 'Sequel Trilogy' started by RX_Sith, Dec 12, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Jedi Jessy

Jedi Jessy Force Ghost star 5

Feb 28, 2016
    I prefer something about Finn, not just he supporting someone. Stormtrooper revolt would be interesting.

anakinfansince1983 likes this.
  2. RandomGreyJ

RandomGreyJ Jedi Master star 4

Jun 14, 2016
    Even John's mentioned something along those lines. He was talking about how wanting to know how Finn resisted the brainwashing and if he could somehow "transfer that power" to other stormtroopers.

3. Roosterq

Roosterq Jedi Knight star 3

Feb 6, 2017
    This is one of the reasons, I believe Finn will end up being trained as a force user. There are several moments where he seems to react intuitively as though an outside force is compelling him. I'm not saying Skywalker, or Ray strong, but I think in the end he will be wielding a lightsaber again.

4. Jedi Jessy

Feb 28, 2016
    In TFA Maz offered to Finn hold the lightsaber (why not Han? [face_thinking]) and he was the first person to use it
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

gifs by this blog

Last edited: Apr 16, 2018
  5. Deerborne

Deerborne Jedi Master star 3

Oct 15, 2015
    In earlier versions of the script, Finn was drawn to the saber. Not saying it means anything, but it's...interesting.

Shadojoker and RandomGreyJ like this.
  6. RandomGreyJ

Jun 14, 2016
    I believe in the novel or script (can't remember which one) it says that "the weapon felt right in his hand. was he worthy to wield it? only time would tell."

And it only shows me more that Rian really didn't really care to understand the story the JJ might've been pushing. The saber choosing Rey over Kylo (a skywalker) was meant to show that she was more worthy to it than he was. Not as a superficial "haha she's stronger than you" message. So the fact that Kylo's able to suddenly tear the saber in half greatly takes away from that message (and creates yet ANOTHER sudden inconsistency), and the one JJ could've been foreshadowing with Finn. So one can only hope that they really go in an interesting direction regarding the Force with Finn later on.

I really do think that JJ meant to leave the door open on Finn's possible Force potential.

Last edited: Apr 16, 2018
    Deerborne and Troopa212 like this.
  7. Adept

Adept Force Ghost star 4

Mar 4, 2006
    The thing is, JJ left the door open for a LOT of things. From the ending of TFA I could write a story in which Snoke is the big bad all the way through the series. Where Finn ends up being taught by Maz, While Rey is taught by Luke and Kylo is taught by Snoke...allowing me to give three different perspectives on the force during the backdrop of a major galactic conflict. The issue is that each director has so much freedom that one writer/directors plan may simply NOT be followed up by another and they know it. It's why I don't think RJ thought of anything beyond his film when it came to plotting. "I left a mess at the end of the [TLJ]" and he really did.

8. RandomGreyJ

Jun 14, 2016
    So with a woc officially co-directing Episode IX, do you think there's a higher chance of Finn's role being actually substantial and him feeling like a proper lead alongside Rey?

9. NileQT87

NileQT87 Jedi Grand Master star 3

Nov 21, 2002
    That's not what 2nd unit directors do. They don't make important storytelling decisions. They mostly do insert location footage, establishing shots, non-closeup shots, stunts, special effects shots, crowd footage, non-major sequences, etc... that 1st unit is too busy to do. 2nd unit will often only have doubles on hand to shoot with instead of lead actors (hence them working on stunts a lot with the stunt coordinators). J.J. Abrams is still the writer/director and the only one who will be listed under director. Nearly all major films and shows have 2nd units. They don't get equal credit and don't have the same say. They're there in a support role.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Second_unit

Last edited: Apr 17, 2018
    Gobi-1, CosmicDust, afrojedi and 2 others like this.
  10. Jedi Jessy

Feb 28, 2016
    I really hope so. JJ also treated him better than Rian

anakinfansince1983 likes this.
  11. Little Ray Sunshine

Little Ray Sunshine Jedi Knight star 2

May 2, 2016
    It is rather convenient that by the time Finn and Rey are back together the lightseber is broken, so for the moment the issue of who it actually belongs to is mute. I would say Finn probably has a superior claim at the moment. I imagine this will be resolved by Finn getting another lightsaber though.

12. cerealbox

cerealbox Force Ghost star 6

May 5, 2016
    She's a second unit director, not the director or even the writer. Cool down dude.

Deerborne likes this.
  13. RandomGreyJ

Jun 14, 2016
    [face_beatup] I guess idk.

14. TheGhostOfZero

TheGhostOfZero Jedi Master star 2

Sep 5, 2016
    Gotta dust off my tinfoil hat for this one, but I still think that the potential to become a Jedi is still in Finn's future. Mainly because in his fight with Phasma, Finn's usage of the riot control baton is notably different from how Nine's used it, appearing much closer to lightsaber combat.

Also notable, between TFA and TLJ, the riot baton was changed aesthetically from a simple mook weapon to something potentially more complex and lightsaber-esque. And despite originally being non-lethal, Finn used the baton to cut off Phasma's hand in one deleted scene (probably one of the reasons the scene was removed).

Someone drew some nice art of the last shot of Finn with the baton:
    (Spent so long trying to figure out how to put this madness into words, that I feel I lost my point somewhere along the way...)

15. oncafar

oncafar Force Ghost star 6

Jan 10, 2017
    They are all trying to light their hair on fire.

16. afrojedi

afrojedi Jedi Master star 4

Oct 23, 2015
    It's a great opportunity and hopefully she'll crush it and get more work and possibly move on to other work--possibly direct. But 2nd units come in to get the supplemental footage and usually don't work directly with the cast, however maybe with stunt artists.

17. Adept

Adept Force Ghost star 4

Mar 4, 2006
    https://www.elle.com/culture/celebrities/a19181613/john-boyega-pacific-rim-uprising-interview/

https://www.cnn.com/2018/04/12/africa/boyega-hollywood-black-panther/index.html

I hope you're right John.

Jedi Jessy and Bor Mullet like this.
  18. Adept

Adept Force Ghost star 4

Mar 4, 2006
  19. ewoksimon

ewoksimon Chosen One star 5

Oct 26, 2009
    Last edited: Apr 30, 2018
    RandomGreyJ and Jedi Jessy like this.
  20. Kez-Iban

Kez-Iban Jedi Master star 2

Sep 4, 2012
    So Finn will have longer hair in IX...interesting! I haven't seen a recent photo of John Boyega, but I can't imagine it being too much longer by July. I wonder if he will use hair extensions too?

21. Storm_Cloud

Storm_Cloud Jedi Master star 3

Jan 13, 2016
    "... you can wait for the trailer to see why."

So, I guess that means we are getting a time jump, although Hux managed to grow sideburns in twelve hours.

Oh wait - Padawan Ponytail!

22. Rodie

Rodie Jedi Grand Master star 4

Apr 16, 2014
    Time Jump confirmed!

Actually, Finn with some dreds would be really awesome.

Blobofat likes this.
  23. Jedi Jessy

Feb 28, 2016
    time jump? It can make sense because TLJ started another Rebellion

24. ewoksimon

ewoksimon Chosen One star 5

Oct 26, 2009
    A time jump from TLJ to Episode IX always felt inevitable to me. If this film is indeed "the war to end all wars" as Boyega suggested, I'll guess there's a five year gap to build up to that.

25. RandomGreyJ

Jun 14, 2016
    And then a twentyish year gap between that one and Episode X (thinking about wwii lol).

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.