main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

ST John Boyega (Finn) in Episode IX

Discussion in 'Sequel Trilogy' started by RX_Sith, Dec 12, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Blobofat

Blobofat Chosen One star 8

Dec 15, 2000
    “Star Wars has led me to be able to co-produce my first movie with Pacific Rim and other projects.

“It’s always been a dream of mine so to achieve it is unbelievable.”

He's such a great dude. I love his enthusiasm and passion.

Grow that hair out, maybe bandana up, and kick some FO backsides in the next movie.

anakinfansince1983 likes this.
  2. Revanfan1

Revanfan1 Force Ghost star 6

Jun 3, 2013
    Two things stand out to me:

1) I think it's interesting that both fights begin with Finn taking out a single stormtrooper before taking on the "boss" enemy. Intentional callback on RJ's part? I don't know, but it's cool.
    2) I freaking love Finn's leap attack to start the fight with Phasma. It's so cool. John Boyega is seriously the perfect actor for this part, too, and he plays the serious, dramatic scenes so freaking well.

3. cerealbox

cerealbox Force Ghost star 6

May 5, 2016
    I wonder if Caro has any relation to Finn. Whether it's blood relation or will have scenes with Finn

4. Jedi Jessy

Jedi Jessy Force Ghost star 5

Feb 28, 2016
    I will wait to see if sites like MSW etc heard about these rumors. thathashtagshow is a site that I didn't even know it exist but the Caro rumors looks more real than about "MARA"

5. The Regular Mustache

The Regular Mustache Force Ghost star 6

Dec 22, 2015
    It’ll be heavily suggested she’s related to Finn then revealed that she’s not which should sit pretty well with the entire fandom.

6. Adept

Adept Force Ghost star 4

Mar 4, 2006
    Some options

[​IMG]
    [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

AhsokaSolo, Jedi Jessy and dragonchic like this.
  7. AhsokaSolo

AhsokaSolo Force Ghost star 7

Dec 23, 2015
    The first thing I thought of when I heard JB is growing his hair out is that he needs a padawan braid :p

I know I know, that ship has sailed. I have to admit, I'm happy for Finn to have a different hairstyle in IX, and I'm happy that there will be a time skip. Finally.

Last edited: May 1, 2018
  8. Adept

Adept Force Ghost star 4

Mar 4, 2006
    I must ask....what if it hasn't? What if in teaser trailer one, we see Rey facing down a group of KoR...outnumber and seemingly alone...when Finn shows up with his hair in dreads, with a green lightsaber and wearing clothing that's a mix between military functionality and Jedi garments....? What if JJ decides to go that route with Finn...to imply that between Rey and Maz he learned about the ways of the force during the timeskip (And you can Read ALL about it in the comics and novels covering that era after the film is released). What would YOUR reaction be to seeing that happen?

Not saying it will....I am simply curious.

9. AhsokaSolo

AhsokaSolo Force Ghost star 7

Dec 23, 2015
    Um don’t set me up for disappointment like that :p. That sounds awesome, and I would buy every comic, but that’s how I know it isn’t happening. LF seems determined to run with the least appealing stories possible to my tastes. I think it’s more likely that Finn’s arc will be about how custodians can become heroes by being willing to die for their more important friends.

10. Adept

Adept Force Ghost star 4

Mar 4, 2006
    Well, you never know...JJ is the one that decided to have Rey and Finn back together again for Episode 9...and he is the one that felt the force was a primal energy anyone could tap into...Not saying it's guaranteed....but the potential for something more substantial is there.

Ah well...I should get back to God of War (AKA Dad of war)...those Trolls aren't going to kill themselves afterall.

Edit:

I'm sorry...but I have to get your hopes up.

[​IMG]

11. Baron_Papanerd

Baron_Papanerd Jedi Master star 4

May 1, 2014
    Finn Windu confirmed! :p

AhsokaSolo likes this.
  12. Troopa212

Troopa212 Jedi Master star 3

Jul 19, 2016
    [face_laugh]....[face_worried]...:(...:_|

13. Darth Smurf

Darth Smurf Small, but Lethal star 6

Dec 22, 2015
    Caro will be called Black Panther and is the FS random Lady that finds long haired exile grumpy Finn on a lonely island.

Baron_Papanerd likes this.
  14. Adept

Adept Force Ghost star 4

Mar 4, 2006
    Honestly, she'll probably just be a major figure in the rebellion working alongside Poe.

15. Gamma626

Gamma626 Jedi Grand Master star 4

May 6, 2014
    Whatever they do with Finn, I truly hope he gets to have an arc that isn't entirely dependent on other people. His motivations have been consistently "I'm doing this because Rey" or "I'm doing this cause resistance/Poe." I want to see him do something for his own reasons, that isn't "I'm doing this for me because I'm selfish."

His character had still yet to feel like he has a purpose. Even his potential sacrifice in TLJ is essentially an extreme over-reaction to feeling like he belongs. He doesn't have to try and kill himself to have an arc, and it shouldn't be attached to Rey at all times for him to have any reason to function.

He's a former stormtrooper, who was taken away from his family that he'll never know. Can we please try and see him do things to deal with that? Why does that not motivate him in the slightest so far? It's really bizarre to me. He has no drive for revenge, no conflict for killing his former brothers in arms, no complex feelings of any sort. I'd like to see something like that from him, otherwise I wonder why they even made him a stormtrooper, other than for him to aid Poe and Rey without a complicated reason to know things.

16. CrazyOldJedi

CrazyOldJedi Chosen One star 6

Oct 29, 2000
    That's well documented. It was a cool idea with no backstory;

And then we were struggling to figure out who the male lead was going to be. I remember we talked about pirates and merchant marines and all this stuff, and finally Larry [Kasdan] got pissed at all of us and he's just like, "You guys, you're not thinking big. What if he's a stormtrooper that ran away?".

anakinfansince1983 and Rodie like this.
  17. cerealbox

cerealbox Force Ghost star 6

May 5, 2016
    True. And we all know how Phasma herself was a very late addition during the filming process, that happened because Kennedy liked one of Kylo's rejected costumes.

CrazyOldJedi likes this.
  18. Darth Smurf

Darth Smurf Small, but Lethal star 6

Dec 22, 2015
    Imagine we would not have seen shirtless. We would have now not only Phasma but a shirtless stormtrooper as well.

19. Little Ray Sunshine

Little Ray Sunshine Jedi Knight star 2

May 2, 2016
    Of course every one can tap into the Force, but that does not mean every one is strong in the Force. However, I believe in the novel, Hux states that the stormtroopers were not tested for Force strength, so it is quite possible that Finn could be strong in the Force. It actually seems quite likely that JB was refuring to a padawan braid, it actually seems unlikely that Finn's hair length would be significant enough to be in the script unless there is a scene where Rey says "It looks nice that way", which would be rather odd as neither Finn or Rey were present at the time. DR has also indicated that Finn and Rey will be "together again", this could mean lots of different things of course, but the plain meaning would seem to indicate that Rey and Finn will be in the same subplot, which would almost certainly be the Force subplot. But don't look for lightsaber wielding, Force using Finn to show up in the trailers - that reveal will be saved for the movie.

Last edited: May 7, 2018
  20. CrazyOldJedi

CrazyOldJedi Chosen One star 6

Oct 29, 2000
    It's really not likely at all. The obvious reason he could be growing his hair longer is to portray the passing of time. Maybe he decides the Stormtrooper cut isn't for him, it is a bit plain after all.

21. Little Ray Sunshine

Little Ray Sunshine Jedi Knight star 2

May 2, 2016
    That would be the obvious reason, yes. However, if we are talking about Boyega's natural hair, the eight to ten weeks there is left is not going to make that noticeable a difference, unless its a beard. Now Finn with a beard would be awesome, it would be a good way to show his increase in maturity and ruggedness. But if that is the case we will know long before the trailer.

22. Troopa212

Troopa212 Jedi Master star 3

Jul 19, 2016
    I don't know whether the hairstyle change is going to be significant or not but I'm happy that he's getting a change.

cerealbox and rorow1 like this.
  23. Rodie

Rodie Jedi Grand Master star 4

Apr 16, 2014
    And therein is the problem. Here we have the story group working in a free form "concept" phase where literally ANYTHING can be on the table for creating memorable characters for The Force Awakens, and it takes the oldest guy in the room who had not written anything in 10 years at that point getting angry and telling them "You're not thinking big!" in order to come up with the runaway stormtrooper idea. And even after he delivers that idea to them, they don't do much with it....

What is the group there for at that point other than to THINK BIG?

Good grief.

Last edited: May 7, 2018
    CrazyOldJedi and Troopa212 like this.
  24. Adept

Adept Force Ghost star 4

Mar 4, 2006
    The change in hair is likely meant to mark changes/growth in Finn's character. The fact Finn is also linking up with Rey again is interesting since in the original trilogy Luke went off on his own for the final confrontation. That does suggest Finn plays some role in the force/primary plot of the final film. I don't know if Finn will be able to use the force, but since TLJ decided to show some random kid wielding it at the end I really can't discount the possibility of Finn 'Awakening' the further he get's from his Stormtrooper past.

Troopa212 and TheLastHaterOfZero like this.
  25. Chewies_bandolier

Chewies_bandolier Force Ghost star 4

May 5, 2002
    John post Met Ball today - first look at his dreadlets (they look v cute and he looks v tired)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.