main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

ST John Boyega (Finn) in Episode IX

Discussion in 'Sequel Trilogy' started by RX_Sith, Dec 12, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Kthru12

Kthru12 Jedi Knight star 3

Apr 4, 2016

I'm guessing the twists will be turned into faux locs for IX. Symbolic of Finn's newfound freedom of expression now that he's had some time away from the First Order?

2. Glitterstimm

Glitterstimm Force Ghost star 6

Dec 30, 2017
    They should let him take his shirt off in Ep IX. Dude is jacked!
    [​IMG]

The Dark Night13 likes this.
  3. godisawesome

godisawesome Skywalker Saga Undersheriff star 6 Staff Member Manager

Dec 14, 2010
    Yeah, and Finn already has two possible love interests in Rey and Rose, so adding a third one just as a place holder at the end of the Saga would kind of be wasteful. Such a character would honestly be better suited to a Sequel to the Sequel Trilogy, or a book or something.
    I'm really hoping Boyega gets to have a dynamic and striking new look in IX, beyond even the hair. Really show Finn breaking his old mold and becoming something different.

The Dark Night13 likes this.
  4. Adept

Adept Force Ghost star 4

Mar 4, 2006
    Take Erik Killmonger's suit

[​IMG]

Change the colors (White undershirt/brown or black cargo pants), and add a 'bomber' jacket

[​IMG]

5. The Deuteragonist

The Deuteragonist Jedi Master star 4

Jun 25, 2018
    I'm...kind of down with that.

6. Troopa212

Troopa212 Jedi Master star 3

Jul 19, 2016
    Just give him light updated Mandalorian-like gear/armor. I'm glad TLJ ditched the hand me down jacket because I thought it looked really redundant with Poe's look. As a matter of fact his whole outfit at the beginning of TLJ did. Now I did like the FO jacket over the Resistance shirt, because it gave him a more refined and unique look. Plus, it adds an element of personal meaning given his time with the FO. It's a reminder of what he could have been had stayed with them.

Last edited: Jul 12, 2018
    afrojedi and 11-4D like this.
  7. The Deuteragonist

Jun 25, 2018
    The awkward phase of his hair growth is hardly awkward at all. They look pretty good. I don't have dreadlocks myself but I'm awfully jealous.

8. Adept

Adept Force Ghost star 4

Mar 4, 2006
    I would recommend avoiding Mandalorian gear, or at the very least not make it the dominant aspect. I think things work better if you get the sense that Finn has built his own identity after spending time working with various cultures against the First order. Like Imply that his hairstyle comes from his time working with Mandalorian commandos, while his gear comes from his time fighting with the Chiss, and his clothing is of corellian make etc. Ideally his clothes should reflect the traveling, fighting and growing he's done over the years.

Heck, I'd even recommend that he wear a necklace (gift from Rey) that has a Kyber crystal attached to it. A reminder to him from her that the force connects all things and that distance is no barrier to the closeness such bonds provide.

Last edited: Jul 13, 2018
    Revanfan1 and eko32eko7 like this.
  9. eko32eko7

eko32eko7 Jedi Master star 3

Jan 10, 2018
    I like this idea, but I wouldn't avoid Mandelorian armor entirely... it is legendary for a reason. Any pieces he would acquire would, likely, need to be earned in some way, however; given the importance as a symbol of the Mandalorian culture.

Revanfan1 and Troopa212 like this.
  10. Troopa212

Jul 19, 2016
    I didn't mean it had to be full-on Mandalorian gear just similar to it. Really, I just want him to have cool looking gear that's unique to him instead of your standard Resistance jacket, pants and boots.

11. eko32eko7

eko32eko7 Jedi Master star 3

Jan 10, 2018
    I hear that! The resistance troop gear is really boring. I don't even want regular troopers wearing it, LOL. It would be nice if he developed a visual style over the course of the trilogy. I like the Poe jacket; though I don't think that Jacket should in any way define him or his look.

Troopa212 likes this.
  12. Pro Scoundrel

Pro Scoundrel New Films Expert At Modding Casual star 6 Staff Member Manager

Nov 20, 2012
    TLJ already exceeded my pectoral limit for a trilogy.

13. The Deuteragonist

Jun 25, 2018
    Not me. I'll take Twilight-level shirtless scenes with Oscar Isaac, John Boyega, Adam Driver, Domnhall Gleeson, and hell even Mark Hamill can even get in on it.

I don't judge nor discriminate.[face_batting]

14. RandomGreyJ

RandomGreyJ Jedi Master star 4

Jun 14, 2016
    Ugh, I think I'm done with shirtless scenes in this trilogy. Especially twilight style bs. I originally didn't mind the idea. I welcomed it. But I think 8 ruined that for me. Unless we wanna be "equal" and start having Rey, Rose and 'Mara' kick butt in tight costumes that show stomach.

Which I don't think anyone would be okay with.

I don't think I need anymore shirtless scenes unless it's Finn waking up next to his LI like Anakin and Padme in RotS. Something serious that shows how far he's come. John still looks perfectly hot in whatever outfit he wears. Something about that hair did it for me completely.

But other than that I don't want shirtless scenes for the sake of shirtless scenes, or turning them into "eye candy." It would be pretty hypocritical if you ask me.

15. Troopa212

Jul 19, 2016
    I really hope Finn is out from under the crowded Resistance umbrella in IX. I can't imagine our supposed male lead having much of an arch if he has to split time with Poe and Rose again and possibly Lando, 'Caro' and Keri Russel's character and BB8 for that matter. That's six characters right there alone, seven if you count Leia. The fact that his time and relevance was trimmed so much sharing with just Poe, Rose and Holdo has me a little worried.
    While we're at it, let's all hope Abrams gives us some concrete and exciting info regarding Finn's arch before the movie comes out. I'm already tired of reading all about how Kylo is going to be redeemed and he and Rey are going to team up again to take on the KOR while Finn is going to...wait for it...do something with Poe or Rose for the Resistance. Probably another infiltration. Like, can the guy breathe and do something important by himself for a change that doesn't involve him being "Resistance stock character #3"? Can he fight some of the KOR or is that going to be one of those Jedi exclusive things again?

16. CosmicDust

CosmicDust Jedi Knight star 1

Jul 16, 2017
    I don't think it'd be that bad for Finn to be in a story line for Poe. Finn saving Poe is partly what made the premise of the character interesting: a stormtrooper risked his life to save a member of the Resistance. The very premise of Finn's story benefits from Poe's presence. When people critique him as becoming comic relief in TFA, it is after his story is broken up from Poe. In TLJ, where he didn't spend time the core of his story with Poe, he is criticized as being useless, a joke, etc.

Ergo, logically, Finn being with Poe will lead to a good Finn story. It's always when they're separated that Finn is said to suffer thematically. But when he's with Poe, his story improves.

17. anakinfansince1983

anakinfansince1983 Skywalker Saga/LFL/YJCC Manager star 10 Staff Member Manager

Mar 4, 2011
    IX should open with shirtless Finn waking up next to Rey in bed.

If that cannot happen, I’m with Pro Scoundrel, no more shirtless scenes.

18. RiddleMeThis

RiddleMeThis Jedi Master star 4

Dec 7, 2017
    Where does Rose fit into your version of IX?

19. anakinfansince1983

anakinfansince1983 Skywalker Saga/LFL/YJCC Manager star 10 Staff Member Manager

Mar 4, 2011
  20. cerealbox

cerealbox Force Ghost star 6

May 5, 2016
    Except the women....

LoRd_inFamous likes this.
  21. Krueger

Krueger Chosen One star 5

Aug 9, 2004
    I think he looks great with that hair. Hope his Episode 9 look is something like that.

22. RiddleMeThis

RiddleMeThis Jedi Master star 4

Dec 7, 2017
    I don't think you can know what I was or wasn't planning to do with your response. We haven't had this discussion before, and you happen to be wrong in your guess about how I'll react.

And there is no "game". I don't think my question was unreasonable. I felt that TLJ was trying to set up Finn/Rose as a future couple but you appear to be expecting Finn/Rey which left me to wonder where you see Rose.

If you'd prefer not to answer though, that's fine, I'll respect that.

23. AhsokaSolo

AhsokaSolo Force Ghost star 7

Dec 23, 2015
    I think/hope JJ will see TLJ as setup for a Finn/Rose romance about as much as RJ viewed TFA as setup for a FinnRey romance.

24. Bunai

Bunai Jedi Knight star 2

Jun 17, 2017
    I'd prefer Finn and Rey to develop their purpose in life together rather than Rose.

Revanfan1 and AhsokaSolo like this.
  25. godisawesome

godisawesome Skywalker Saga Undersheriff star 6 Staff Member Manager

Dec 14, 2010
    I know you addressed this to @anakinfansince1983 , but I'd like to take a crack at it.

Rose, in my version of IX, fits into the story by becoming more than she was in TLJ, more than just an alternative love interest for Finn. I mean, ostensibly she was created to provide something radically different from Poe... But the final product seemed to only be distinct from a take on Poe by being another heterosexual love interest for Finn; her mechanic background doesn't get used at all in the entire film, and most of her stuff is just short, writer-on-board lectures that could have been given to Poe without much difficulty.

So, we use that mechanic background. Rose designs more weapons for the Resistance, this time having that shown on screen, since while she designed the mines and some cloaking tech in TLJ, you have no way of knowing that in the film. Rose also maybe sabotages some First Order ships she gets inside, or manages to recommission old Starcraft and equipment, or make a Trojan horse out of a First Order wreck for the heroes. And maybe she has an awesome and witty repartee with Rey as they discuss how best to make the Falcon a monstrously awesome ship or something, with Rey finally having someone who's actually better than her at something for a companion.

And maybe while they're talking shop like a couple of "Wrench Wenches", we see Finn staring at them, saying "I have no idea what they're talking about, but it's really attractive!"

Last edited: Jul 16, 2018
    anakinfansince1983 likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.