main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

ST John Boyega (Finn) in Episode VII [v 2.0 Read Opening Post BEFORE Posting]

Discussion in 'Sequel Trilogy' started by Jedi Merkurian , Nov 22, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Brybe_Daker

Brybe_Daker Jedi Padawan star 1

Nov 21, 2015
    I think Finn's character will definitely become more serious. His arc throughout TFA suggests that, in my opinion.

2. Unkar's Muffins

Unkar's Muffins Jedi Grand Master star 4

Dec 4, 2002
    It might be that, in an effort to save or spare Rey from Kylo and Snoke, Finn finds himself being tempted by the dark side of the Force.

3. Brybe_Daker

Brybe_Daker Jedi Padawan star 1

Nov 21, 2015
    I could potentially see Rey struggling with the darkside, but I think Finn will definitely be the incorruptible pure friend archetype.

Count_DoodooKuku likes this.
  4. Unkar's Muffins

Unkar's Muffins Jedi Grand Master star 4

Dec 4, 2002
    Could be. Rey certainly said "Monster!" several times to Kylo, and the novelization says that she heard the voice of Snoke through the Force telling her to finish off Kylo on Starkiller. But, The Phantom Menace proved that even the best intentioned, pure of heart character can go bad. I'm just really curious to know what's going on with Finn in that coma. We shall see. We shall see.

5. Lulu Mars

Lulu Mars Chosen One star 5

Mar 10, 2005
    Finn is Sam to Rey's Frodo.

Jedi Merkurian likes this.
  6. JediAce1

JediAce1 Force Ghost star 5

May 8, 2014
    Oh God, yet another Samwise comparison. [face_sick]

Obiwan10 likes this.
  7. Hopeless

Hopeless Jedi Master star 4

Oct 28, 2006
    I'm more inclined to think he'll and Poe will be two of the three musketeers to Rey's D'Artagnan!

Hopefully Chewie will show them how to handle that but BB-8 will help cover the R2 role!

8. Lulu Mars

Lulu Mars Chosen One star 5

Mar 10, 2005
    *hands JediAce1 a bucket*

9. PCCViking

PCCViking Chosen One star 10

Jun 12, 2014

With Kylo Ren needing an eyepatch to be their Rochefort. :p

Hopeless likes this.
  10. Hopeless

Hopeless Jedi Master star 4

Oct 28, 2006
    With luck that might have already been covered![face_devil]

11. Luminous Beings Are We

Luminous Beings Are We Jedi Knight star 3

Jun 10, 2014

But what does that have to do with Kylo somehow feeling guilty about betraying his father and Luke's Jedi Order?

12. Brennan Marshall

Brennan Marshall Jedi Knight

May 22, 2015
    Interesting video about Finn

13. Lord Farnsworth

Lord Farnsworth Jedi Padawan star 3

Feb 2, 2016
    I couldn't finish watching it. After almost 4 months the best insight he could find in a character is what people have already complained about? He didn't think hard enough.
    The idea that he refused to fight for the resistance makes him a coward is foolish. Everybody wants Finn to fight for everyone except himself.
    The man spent his entire life under the FO, and 2 hours or whatever later he is supposed to join another army and become their soldier? Who would do something so stupid?
    He wanted to get away from the FO. Period. He used Poe to get away and it worked.
    He lied to the resistance about disabling the shields, because he needed a way to get on Star Killer Base to rescue Rey. Rey is the person he cares for. He is not interested in the resistance's cause right now.
    Why should he? He doesn't know any of these people from a can of paint and he is supposed to fight and possibly die for them?
    In the trailer he said, "I was raised to do one thing, but now I GOT NOTHING TO FIGHT FOR." We have to find out what he wants to fight for.
    He should have known living in America that Boyega was not going to be the one. Disney spent too much money for this franchise to take that big of a risk.

14. B99

B99 Force Ghost star 6

Nov 10, 2014
    [​IMG]

LMAO

One Quarter Portion likes this.
  15. graw44

graw44 Jedi Knight star 3

Apr 6, 2016
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    Idk if this has been posted yet but this is some cool early Finn concept, the first image is really cool, with the second though it was weird Maz finding him after the crash and doing the ritual on him but at least it made for a cool looking concept of him afterward lol.

Devizz and AllEyezOnTheDarkSide like this.
  16. Devizz

Devizz Jedi Master star 3

Apr 30, 2014
    I liked how Finn reacted upon hearing that the old man before him is none other than infamous Han Solo. The moment I heard it, I couldn't help but wonder...

Finn was probably taught galaxy's history from Empire's/First Order's point of view. I suspect Fall of the Empire was very crucial part of the said history. Since Han Solo played an instrumental role in Rebellion's victory he was probably mentioned along with the likes of Luke or Leia. It is safe to say all of them were not portrayed in a good light. With all that being said, Finn must have realized that if First Order strives to be like Empire and Han helped overthrow the latter then he must have been, as he called him, "a war hero".

thejeditraitor likes this.
  17. Brennan Marshall

May 22, 2015
    Speaking of Finn, he didn’t work AT ALL. And it didn’t help that John Boyega’s acting amounted to, “Holy ****, I’m in Star Wars! Holy ****, I’m in Star Wars!” But here’s why Finn doesn’t work. JJ and Kasdan had the right idea. You take a bad guy and you place him inside the gang of good guys. It’s good old fashioned dramatic irony. We know Finn is bad, but nobody else does. Oh no, what’s going to happen!?
    Well what happens is that JJ and Kasdan never fully commit to the conceit. Yes, we have someone from the First Order inside the Resistance. BUT WHAT ARE THE STAKES???? If they find out Finn is a stormtrooper, what’s going to happen to him? I’ll tell you what. ABSOLUTELY NOTHING. Not only is Finn fully committed to the Resistance now and therefore not a threat, JJ has so little confidence in the storyline that he actually starts letting everybody know Finn’s secret! BB-8 knows. Han Solo knows (“Sooner or later, women find out the truth.”). If this secret matters at all, how come it’s freely shared and no one seems bothered by it?

I think what happened was that they realized at a certain point, “Uh, this isn’t working. There are no stakes if he’s figured out. What next?” And so they kind of transferred the stakes over to Rey. If Rey found out Finn was part of the First Order, she wouldn’t like him anymore. So ruining a potential romance is now the consequence of Finn’s big secret. Except JJ and Kasdan never make it clear if there is a romance, so again, the stakes aren’t very high.

I highlighted a movie to watch for this specific purpose. In it, Lawrence Fishburne plays a cop who must go undercover into a gang of drug dealers in order to take them down. THAT’S how you do Finn’s storyline right. We knew that if at ANY MINUTE, they figured out Fishburne was a cop, HE WAS DEAD. So there was tension in every moment and the writers could play with that. They could build scenes around the fact that Fishburne’s identity was in jeopardy (make him have to kill someone to prove his loyalty). We never sensed anything close to that with Finn.

It’s a little upsetting that this was the one big deviation in plot from Star Wars and JJ got it wrong. It shows that without that blueprint, he was flying blind. I have no doubt he would’ve figured it out with more drafts but they just didn’t give him the time. Moving forward, Finn is my one big worry for the franchise. He doesn’t seem to fit. He doesn’t seem to have an intriguing arc, unless he’s secretly a jedi, which wouldn’t make sense. This half-realized idea would’ve been best left at the alter, replaced with the incredibly charismatic and underused Poe Dameron. Who knows? Maybe Rian Johnson will figure something out with him

TaradosGon likes this.
  18. dolphin

dolphin Chosen One star 5

Nov 5, 1999
    What injury did Finn sustain exactly? It looks like his back got seared but can get that render a person unconscious for a long period of time (wasn't due to blood loss since he was taken out of action rather quickly and these wounds tend to cauterize I would think)?

Jedi Knight Fett likes this.
  19. thejeditraitor

thejeditraitor Chosen One star 6

Aug 19, 2003
    pain can knock you out. that paired with exhaustion are why.

20. Brennan Marshall

May 22, 2015
  21. silver springs

silver springs Jedi Knight star 2

Feb 14, 2016

So, that's an excellent meta. I guess my argument against some of her points is that a lot of what she refers to as coincidence or too much luck could be explained away by plot contrivance or even subpar writing. It would be a welcome surprise (and TFA would become a more cohesive film in retrospect) if we found out that those moments were purposeful foreshadowing, though.

22. TaradosGon

TaradosGon Manager Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Feb 28, 2003
    I liked Finn's personality, but I disliked the backstory he was given, because I don't feel like it made sense for someone with that backstory to behave that way.

He gets abducted/recruited as a kid and is forced into service to the First Order as a stormtrooper. Trains his whole life to fight, then his conscience prevents him from killing innocents. So he deserts. But then upon meeting up with Rey, he just becomes... silly. He's got this really depressing backstory, but then he's like the comedy relief. And his backstory doesn't matter, because nobody cares. The only person that feels shame about it is Finn himself.

I feel like they should have made him a double agent, for either side. That he's a Resistance fighter undercover as a First Order soldier who helps Poe escape. Or that he was a First Order spy who gets planted in the Resistance, but then realizes that he genuinely cares about the people and betrays the First Order.

But the character that serves as the comedic relief really is out of place, IMO, when he's given such a traumatic backstory.

As far as the future of the character though. I hope Finn and Snoke share a scene eventually. The Supreme Leader crossing paths with the lowly trooper that foiled him and his plan. I personally think that would be more interesting than Rey confronting Snoke.

Jedi Knight Fett likes this.
  23. CEB

CEB Force Ghost star 5

Dec 3, 2014
    Stor,troopers throughout the saga have been treated like generic henchmen, so tonally I think it works just fine for Finn to be the one that just has a bit more about him; his personality is what made him resistant to conditioning. Bear in mind that tonally, this is always going to be an all ages saga, and it plays fine. Let the EU flesh out the complexities and nuance.

24. JediAce1

JediAce1 Force Ghost star 5

May 8, 2014
    I'm sorry but that has to be the dumbest thing I've ever heard. After the Winter Soldier in the Marvel movies, you can see why people can a hard time grappling with Finn's defection. These young men were put through a lifetime of brainwashing, but Finn is the only one resistant to it and the only one who escapes. Why is that? I, and alot of other people deserve a better explanation than just his personality was different.

25. CEB

CEB Force Ghost star 5

Dec 3, 2014
    You don't "deserve" anything. The film follows the most important people in the galaxy at crucial times in galactic history, and is tonally intended as an adventure film for families. Finn happens to be "that" individual who didn't get sold on the whole killing thing. If you can't or won't suspend disbelief, then that's a pity and it's a shame the film isn't for you, but you aren't owed a film that works perfectly for you. Your fandom is based on liking existing films, and those films still exist. If you don't like an aspect of a new film, then you can have an opinion about it, but you don't "deserve" anything.

thejeditraitor likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.