main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

ST John Boyega (Finn) in Episode VII [v 2.0 Read Opening Post BEFORE Posting]

Discussion in 'Sequel Trilogy' started by Jedi Merkurian , Nov 22, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. PCCViking

PCCViking 6x Wacky Wednesday Winner star 10 VIP - Game Winner

Jun 12, 2014

Yeah, if Finn was bumbling, he would not have wanted to go up against a Dark sider like Kylo Ren.

2. cerealbox

cerealbox Force Ghost star 6

May 5, 2016
    How about "too prone to falling down"

Lol

3. CT-867-5309

CT-867-5309 Chosen One star 7

Jan 5, 2011
    "Okay, stay calm, stay calm"
    "I'm talking to myself"

"I'm with the Resistance, yeah. I'm with the Resistance", he says, bumbling.

How do I shot guns, he wonders, as he bumbles with the guns.

"The name's Finn, and I'm in charge. I'm in charge now, Phasma. I'm in charge", he says, bumbling.

4. CEB

CEB Force Ghost star 5

Dec 3, 2014
    Finn is like an excited puppy. Young, enthusiastic, clever but not worldly

CT-867-5309 likes this.
  5. cerealbox

May 5, 2016
    Finn has no chill.

But my above statement has more to do with how he's always falling over and tripping.

But with the bumbling, falling down often, overreacting and panicking, he has room to improve.

Obviously he can't be as cool as the older guys: cool like Poe, being in control like Han

6. anakinfansince1983

anakinfansince1983 Skywalker Saga/LFL/YJCC Manager star 10 Staff Member Manager

Mar 4, 2011
    I agree. I don't view this as a negative though.

CEB and EHT like this.
  7. CEB

CEB Force Ghost star 5

Dec 3, 2014
    Me neither. I think he's great

8. Pro Scoundrel

Pro Scoundrel New Films Expert At Modding Casual star 6 Staff Member Manager

Nov 20, 2012
    This is where expectation comes into play. Those who were expecting/hoping for "Jedi warrior/savior, gets the girl, and the cool ship" Finn were disappointed with "fish out of water, just trying to survive, finally found something to fight for" Finn.

9. Sudooku

Sudooku Jedi Master star 4

May 31, 2014
    You gave the answer to yourself: Because Finn is still very young, there is much room for improvement. Just like Kylo has to deal with his throwing tantrums. That shortcomings are all intentional to show and to give way for improvements. :)

10. WhyKnock

WhyKnock Jedi Knight star 2

Jul 8, 2016

Kylo Ren is in his 30's. Surely he is a mature individual by now.

Unless he is emotionally stunted by the dark side somehow..

11. Blastaar

Blastaar Jedi Grand Master star 4

Dec 25, 2015

Honestly, I always saw slapstick and goofy as the same thing. His "I'm ok" after bb8 falls on him came across as goofy to me.

12. anakinfansince1983

Mar 4, 2011
    Meanwhile the bumbling is a hell of a lot less annoying than tantrums.

He might become less bumbling later. I'm OK with it either way as long as he is still adorable Finn.

13. I Are The Internets

I Are The Internets Shelf of Shame Host star 9 VIP - Game Host

Nov 20, 2012
    Whenever I hear "bumbling" I think "Clouseau" not "Finn". Unless Boyega starts talking in a bad French accent to everyone, and Leia is replaced by CGI'd Herbert Lom.

Um...I might have created the best movie ever just now.

14. cerealbox

May 5, 2016
    Will someone explain to me when describing a grown man as "adorable" became non-derogatory.

15. CT-867-5309

Jan 5, 2011
    When grown men became less insecure.

16. Sudooku

Sudooku Jedi Master star 4

May 31, 2014
    Actually I'm not sure if this question is serious, super-intelligent or super derogatory.

Why I just have the feeling that, if JB would not have been bumbling in TFA (what didn't annoy me at all), you just would have accused him of being too earnest, too stern or likewise ... ?

Martoto77 likes this.
  17. CT-867-5309

Jan 5, 2011
    I think it's paranoid and pointless to accuse individuals, or even the fandom as a whole, of being impossible to satisfy.

anakinfansince1983 likes this.
  18. cerealbox

May 5, 2016
    I'm not trying to be facetious. I'm serious. I've seen here and other places Finn being described as adorable or a precious cinnamon bun.

Maybe it's just me, but from where I'm from those kind of words to describe a grown man were insults.

19. anakinfansince1983

Mar 4, 2011
    Would they be OK if used to describe a grown woman?

I like Finn a lot, I believe I have mentioned that he is my favorite character in TFA. If he were angsty (or "earnest", which is often code for angsty--see also, Kylo Ren) or stern (see also, Tarkin), I would not have liked him.

I like fun characters, whether goofy or sarcastic.

If that is supposed to be a flaw on MY character...I don't care.

Finn is adorable, and where I come from, that is a compliment.

20. cerealbox

May 5, 2016
    To each his own.

21. Ancient Whills

Ancient Whills Force Ghost star 6

Jun 12, 2011
    I like Finn goofiness, even if I found dome of his dialogues to be pretty cringeworthy .

22. TCF-1138

TCF-1138 Anthology/Fan Films/NSA Mod & Ewok Enthusiast star 6 Staff Member Manager

Sep 20, 2002
    Where I'm from, some people would agree with you.

Thankfully, those people too will have to realize that the age of the macho man and his domesticated wife has come to and end, and that we live in a society where it's OK to not fit a stereotype :)

23. Martoto77

Martoto77 Jedi Master star 5

Aug 6, 2016
    I feel like I'm listening to a "Black guys should be all like heeeeeeeyy." bit, except it's not a joke. Sadly.

Sudooku likes this.
  24. jakobitis89

jakobitis89 Jedi Master star 4

Jan 27, 2015
    Finn is an utter doofus and I love it about him. The poor guy is a fish not only out of his water but being dumped in pond after pond all of them as unfamiliar as the last. He's been conditioned for his entire life to be a soldier following orders and has absolutely no idea who and what he is once he's moved past that. He might be a bit goofy and ineffective but that's because he truly doesn't really know what he's doing because he's never experienced a life outside the FO. And for all his faults, he's brave and he's loyal to his friends and never really does anything to actually hurt anyone who hasn't hurt him first, or intends to.

Boyega can do the stern stoic tough guy thing excellently (see Attack The Block for proof) but I much prefer the enthusiastic puppy to the badass wolf.

25. I Are The Internets

I Are The Internets Shelf of Shame Host star 9 VIP - Game Host

Nov 20, 2012
    He was so good in AtB. Soooo good.

cerealbox and Martoto77 like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.